• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Office Of Fair Trading Test Case

Guest Wild Billy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5882 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Deso

HBOS are not far behind either. On a tip off from another poster on the HBOS thread, I have downloaded the recorded message from Halifax's 'Bank Charges Complaint' telephone banking option. It's stored in my 'evidence' file ;)

In it they warn that it 'could take over a year' before they have to consider dealing with further cases. A blatant, deliberate ploy to discourage people from continuing with complaints and claims, in my view and arguably an abuse of the 'concession' given to them by the FSA even before the ink is dry! :mad:

CONTINUE WITH YOUR CLAIMS!

• 04/04/07 - £104 exit fee refund - Portman BS
  • Halifax Current a/c 20yr (closed) - in progress - all 20 years statements recovered!
  • Halifax Platinum Card 15 yr - Court Action Commenced - all 15 years statements recovered!
  • A&L Current a/c - You're next..

Write to your MP and

COMPLAIN about the ANTI-CONSUMER way in which the OFT Test Case is being handled!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So will you all calm down a bit and carry on as per normal.
With respect, Leech, it's understandable some are getting worried with the sudden-ness of the announcement and the eerie similarity between the glib recorded messages the banks are leaving for enquirers.

You are correct however that people should take a deep breath, carry on with their actions and not panic. The banks will try and draw any advantage they can out of this, including psychological. And that's what they're doing today with these messages - I have a feeling however that this is premature hubris on their part.

• Halifax Current a/c 20yr (closed) - in progress - all 20 years statements recovered!
  • Halifax Platinum Card 15 yr - Court Action Commenced - all 15 years statements recovered!

Write to your MP and

COMPLAIN about the ANTI-CONSUMER way in which the OFT Test Case is being handled!

Couple of thoughts that come to my mind:

• What's likely to happen with interest during this 'hiatus'? Frozen or allowed to accrue?

• Is the time taken to conduct the test case going to be added to the 'cause of action' timeline allowed to bring a case in the event of a positive outcome?

Just ramblings but worth considering.

Write to your MP and

Another rambling thought to add to the mix - this is only an agreement between a state regulator and various commercial organisations. It might only take an independently-minded Judge or two to overrule it.

Write to your MP and

I agree Josie - good post. I think our interests been shabbily and arbitrarily treated here. One the one hand it's great that the law is being tested, but so far it appears this is being done with the main objective being to relieve the poor banks' suffering :rolleyes: Let's hope the independently minded Jusges I referred to in my previous post, exist!

Write to your MP and

Funhat

I don't think that anyone would deny that it's a good thing the banks are being brought to heel in a test case; and one that may very well end up in our favour - but I think people are a little disturbed and suspicious by the sudden announcement, the strangely similar recorded messages the banks have made on their telephone banking services and the fact that a lot of people are may perceive this as a chummy little arrangement by the banks and the regulator to get the grubby punters off their backs for a while while they sort things out in their own clubby world :roll:

Write to your MP and

Well I guess we can all go home now - that's cleared everything up for us, with insightful knowledge and razor-sharp intellect. What a 'bunch of idiots' we are! :roll:

Write to your MP and

I don't currently have a claim with a bank

So what are you doing here Billy - apart from trolling? :rolleyes:

Write to your MP and

What do you mean ''what are you doing here'' ? It's his thread! He was

the first member to pick up on the OFT announcement.

crfx250

I stand by my original question.

Write to your MP and

Billy has been instrumental in putting pressure on the OFT to act on the whole issue of default charges. His knowledge of the workings of the OFT

are vast.

Hmm... all that in 35 posts - was this before or after Vietnam?

I also noticed that wherever he goes, you're not far behind him either ;)

Write to your MP and

No one's arguing his 'credibility' or purported knowledge.. more than a few of us merely felt the delivery might have needed work, that's all. As for your location:

You bet I'm right behind him.
Yes, we can see that.

Write to your MP and

Wild Billy - ..all of which would all be very well if we were frequenting a forum of like-minded subject-matter experts. We aren't. There are a hell of a lot of ordinary people on here who neither know nor care about netiquette and have not like you clearly have, or myself, been on the net for a good number of years.

No - they've heard of the site throught various sources and heard that there's good information available, delivered by friendly, savvy people. These people, well into six figures by now, represent the present and future success of the site. They vary in their levels of education, background, knowledge, geography and in so many other ways.

Some of them have become almost as skilled as lawyers themselves, diving into the vast store of resources and knowledge here, building up their cases; enjoying success then sharing it with others. Others are not so confident and self-reliant and require more help. But they all contribute to the site in their own way and help make it the effective and amiable community it generally is.

Your position, however appears to be that of a reluctant contributor - you impart a fair bit of knowledge, but don't seem to be able to do it without also imparting your lowly opinion of the recipients - calling some 'idiots' at one stage which I found disgraceful.

I don't disagree with you that some have been posting with some misplaced assumptions and flawed logic. But that's life - this is not the Oxford Debating Soc. Far better in my view that you wear your knowledge a little more lightly I feel, Billy. Show a little good grace with your intelligence and insight ;)

Best regards

Mac

• Haha 5

Write to your MP and

Thanks for reminding me about that, setmefree - I saw the article 'trailered' on the 'tomorrow's news' section of News24 last night, shortly before I fell asleep - and promised myself I'd take a look this morning! Interesting stuff.

Write to your MP and

Wild Billy:

Originally Posted by zootscoot

It is deeply regretable that OFT failed to inform us and other campaigners and consumer groups of this or to consult us on the content of the agreement.

Either deeply regretable or legally necessary!

Could you explain why it might have been 'legally necessary' not to consult with the consumer groups?

Write to your MP and

Mr Lewis the get paid per click expert

Hey nevos

What's your issue with Martin Lewis? He clearly indicates where links help MSE, in the same way that CAG does. In my view, he's an empassioned battler for consumer rights. You only had to see him seething on C4 the other day to see that!

Have you any idea how much it costs to host a site like his? Or this one for that matter? Once you get to this kind of bandwidth, it really starts to add up.

Write to your MP and

Maybe a mod can move it to the really bad jokes thread lol

I don't think we need to go that far! But wasn't it great to see the look he put on that pompous BBA spokeswoman's face on C4 News the other night? Priceless! :D

lewisvbba.jpg

Write to your MP and

Must be something about Quo fans being against the Forum Rules.. ;):D

Write to your MP and

Who...me? What? ::: pseudo-pastie crumbs drop from chin.... ::: :lol:

Write to your MP and

Hehehehehe! noomill060- you want to get some Benilyn for that... ;):D:D:D

Write to your MP and

Anyone who wants to email Gordon Brown about the ridiculous and unfair FSA and FOS decision to stop looking at consumer complaints can do so here
I doubt old 'Pension-Robber' Broon will listen - wouldn't surprise me if he condones it - he's always been too close to the City IMO.

Write to your MP and

Guys

Just to remind those of you who haven't done so already - pop into this thread (this will take you to the post we suggest as your template), to write an email to your MP (link at the end of the template letter); in protest at the poor treatment of consumers under the Test Case arrangement.

Then drop a quick post in this thread to let us know who you've written to.

We need your help with this if you haven't done so already. Thanks in advance!

• Haha 1

Write to your MP and

To all who sign the petition -

PLEASE ALSO go here to also write to your MP if you haven't done so already - all you have to do is click - we've done the work for you!

Just 5 Easy Steps!

1. Use the template the link above takes you directly to.
  2. Copy the text (amend if necessary but it will be fine as is for most people).
  3. click the link to the site shown at the bottom of the letter.
  4. Follow the instructions on the site to send to your MP (it will tell you who your MP is if you do not know.
  5. Go here to tell us which MP you've written to.

Thank you!

Write to your MP and

The problem with the Number 10 website IMO is that although they are supposed to filter for it, you end up with several petitions for the same thing, which of course dilutes their effect.

Write DIRECTLY to your MP and

Write to your MP and

Jules

Thanks for your initiative. But I'm afraid I and others have been doing this since last week and have so far been completely blanked by the moderators. :(

Write to your MP and

From what I understand they are NOT allowed to take retalliatory action of that nature, kokoman. If they threaten to do so, inform the FOS.

However be careful, as I understand that any overdraft is payable on demand, so they might just try and 'create' an excuse. Again watch yourself and keep the FOS aware.

Write to your MP and