• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Barneybubble Vs RBOS (2) £12430.00

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5994 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If the total of your claim is:

Charges + s69 8% interest + court fee = 'Total'

(plus interest pursuant to ............. at 00.xxxx pence per day)

Then you've done the claim correctly. If you haven't done this, phone Northampton court and explain.

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blimey, you're confusing me now as well!!!

If you've entered your charges into something similiar to one of these 6. Interest calculation spreadsheets (which calculates when the charge was applied to your account and calculates the 8% interest from that date) then that's the first step correct.

So if you're claiming the charges + the interest worked out on each charge as above + court costs............ you've done it right.

If you've added another 8% on top of that amount............... that's incorrect!!!

Which one is it????? :confused:

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Think I've just managed to figure out your previous post :rolleyes: !

You've claimed your charges, plus overdraft interest, with the 8% calculated on each individual charge?

At prelim and LBA, you've attempted to recovere the charges, plus overdraft interest?

At court stage, you've added the 8% on (calculated previously on each individual charge) and then added the court fee on?

If you have ................... no worries.

I'm off to bed................. my brain hurts!!! ;)

• Haha 1

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

xyz............. abc.............. I'm definitely going to bed in a minute!!

Bigmac will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's a major problem - at least you know what the individual charges are and what the 8% interest is. At least you've not added the 8% interest on twice.......... which was it originally sounded like!!

What d'ya reckon bigmac? ;)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

• 2 months later...

Can you tell me exactly what type of account you have with RBoS please? Also, which PoC (particulars of claim) did you use for your claim? :)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Thanks barney. I'd advise you to formally amend your claim (you don't need to OK it with Cobbetts though). What you'll need to do is file an amendment to your claim via the courts.

What I suggest you do is have a really good read of this thread. It explains exactly what you need to do to amend your claim to ensure it isn't struck out in court.

Firstly, download the N1 form and save it to your pc. Copy and paste the PoC in this thread onto the N1 form and make sure your calculations are accurate on the front page (charges, interest, daily rate of interest, etc). You can't save the changes on the N1 form so make sure you get everything 100% accurate, then print off 3 copies and attach a copy of your schedule of charges to each one.

Secondly, download the N224 form and complete it using the guidance in the first link I gave you above. Print off 3 copies, attach to the front of each N1+schedule of charges and take them to the court office along with the £35 fee. The Court will then amend the details, re-seal the claim, return it to you and it is then your responsibility to re-serve it on RBoS. Ensure that you keep a copy of the sealed N1 for yourself too. Once you have served the claim you should send the Court a completed certificate of service which is here along with a copy of the N1 so that the court knows when the bank need to respond.

You'll probably need to do all of this once the stay is lifted - but I'll check this out and post back later.

When you post back later, can you let me know if you have any relevant T&C's for the account please Barney?

Cheers, hedgey :)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Should I be writing to the court requesting the stay be lifted? Should I detail again all of the charges (they have the info about the type of charge) seeing as how I sent a copy of the charges to them again, when I copied them into the list I sent to the court when ordered??:?

Hi Barney - sorry, I haven't been online today (footie with the kids!)

Write a letter addressed to the Court Manager (c.c. Cobbetts) quoting your claim number and respectfully confirming as per attached letter from the Defendant (e.g., Cobbett's letter) that you would like your claim to proceed. On the letter, state something like "please find attached, a copy of my schedule of charges as requested by the Defendant". That way, Cobbetts can't say yet again that they don't have a copy of your schedule! ;)

Attach a copy of your schedule of charges and a copy of the letter from Cobbetts - that way you're covered on all angles. Take the letter to the court personally if possible. If not, send both letters (court and Cobbetts) first class recorded or special delivery.

With regards to the T&C's, we could really do with seeing a copy of Cobbett's defence if possible. You could then send them a part 18 request demanding the original T&C's from the year your account was opened with them.

If you can post up a copy of the defence (if possible) please do so, we can then support you to put a part 18 request together.

Hope this helps a little Barney, please keep in touch :)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Reading the previous replies I have followed the advice to change the POCs to a recognisable form and printed 3 copies (N1, N244, spreadsheet). I will write to the court requesting the stay be lifted and if it is that my POCs are changed.

Does this sound OK?:rolleyes:

This definitely sounds OK barney - particularly with the defence that you've received from Cobbetts as they've obviously picked up the limited PoC from when you initially filed the claim. In all honesty, I don't think you have any other option but to do the amendment with the new PoC to allow your claim every chance of proceeding.

I'll check about the part 18 request for the T&C's and get back to you asap. x :)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Just an additional update from above barney, I've checked about the part 18 request and you can hold off on this for the moment.

However, from the defence filed by Cobbetts, you will need to make a couple of additions to your new PoC (sorry - more printer ink!) to take into account that they've picked up on some pre-six year charges.

Re-do the N1 to add in the following (you may need to attach an additional sheet to the N1 as there may not be enough space to fit everything on):

5. Limitations

a). In so far as any charges relating to the period before xx/xx/xxxx, the Claimant wishes to invoke s.32 (1) (b) of the Limitation Act 1980 in that the Defendant deliberately concealed the true cost of administering the contractual breaches committed by the Claimant and thus essential facts relevant to the Claimant's right of action have been concealed and continue to be concealed by the Defendant.

b). Alternatively, the Claimant seeks to rely upon s.32(1)© of the Limitation Act. The Claimant paid the charges in the belief that they reflected the true cost of administering the contractual breaches. The Claimant has now discovered, following revelations relating to a similar organisation, that the true costs are much lower and that the belief held by Claimant was in fact mistaken.

This then covers you at a later date should Cobbetts attempt to have the pre-six year charges struck out from your claim. x:)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Go for it barney - have everything ready and in place ready for the DJ to consider. ;)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

• 2 months later...

Hi barney, that's great news about the stay being lifted. :D

Did you manage to get your amended PoC into the court?

Nice to see you back by the way. ;)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

That's excellent barney - and I don't blame you for waiting! At least you've paid the fee knowing for sure that the case is proceeding. I'm sure the DJ will approve the amendments, so fingers crossed that we see some forward movement on this for you soon. x ;)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I've never been called barney before........... makes a change from hedgey though!!! :p

Don't worry about the charges that are older than six years in this claim as they've been addressed in your new PoC. Plus, when you start to put your court bundle together, you'll 'cover' the older charges anyway. With regards to the charges that they've recently added on though............... they're claim number two! x ;)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Barney, I agree with lancasterchelsea, their offer is incredibly low. :confused:

I'm a little worried about some of the contents of the letter you've received though. Certain 'charges' can't be reclaimed on a business account as they're legitimate fees for services provided to business customer (e.g., if you request that a cheque is stopped, this would incur a legitimate service charge, as would overdraft arrangement fees, account maintenance fees, etc).

Before I can advise you any further on their offer, could you post up exactly which types of charges you've listed in your claim please? I'll be back online around 7ish tonight so I'll take another look at your thread later. x :)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

We're right here when you're ready barney. x ;)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Barney, my first thoughts are that I'm a bit worried about some of the charges you're trying to reclaim. Firstly, when you say 'monthly charges', do you mean things such as the monthly account maintenance fees, clearing fees (e.g., small amounts for cheques clearing), etc.??? :confused:

Also, you seem to be paying an awful lot of money for online banking. Are these charges purely for using the online banking system or are they actual penalty charges such as:

Excess borrowing fee

Unpaid DD fee

Referral Fee

Cheque Return fee

Unpaid cheque

Unpaid S.O fee, etc :confused:

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Are they offering to refund all penalty charges barney? If they are, I'd recommend settling the claim with them (which has the bonus of 8% interest on it) and forgetting about the other fees.

However, if they're not offering to settle all of the penalty charges in full, it could be time to start some negotiation with them.

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I'm here hun! The link you'll need for the personal PoC (RBS) is this one http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland/110284-new-rbs-poc-n1.html

And if you're accepting their offer on the business account, I think it's a wise decision hun. As they're offering to refund all penalty charges, I think this is what you can call a great result.

Well done - you've done a fantastic job. And, fingers crossed, you'll have the cash in time for xmas as well! xxx ;)

EDIT: can I just add that I think you need to revise your business banking arrangements. You're paying way too much money for online banking barney. Don't let them take your hard-earned cash like this.

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

A thought before bed. If I used the interest charger I could be apprx £400 short. Do I say I want EVERY PENNY WITH COMPOUND INTEREST?

Might be a bit late to change the horse mid-race barney. ;)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Lol......... could you please inform my husband of that barney? He thinks I'm potty! ;)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Nice one barney! x ;)

Is it time to get your thread changed to ***won***? :D

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

No worries barney!

And don't forget, any charges that have been applied to the account since the date of the last charge on your current claim = business claim no. 2! x ;)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***