• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Thinking about claiming against Natwest

bryony84
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6562 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, found this site through a forum that I'm a regular on and although I'd heard about the unlawful charge repayments, I'd never really considered pursuing it until now.

I'm a student and I have just finished 4 years of study. I am in a similar situation to many students and have a student overdraft (interest free) and a couple of credit cards.

I've had a good few unfair charged levied on my account over those years as student income is incredibly unreliable and sporadic. I'm now in the process of setting up some kind of budget to sort my finances out and it would help me so much to be able to claim back these unfair charges.

I'm in the process of going through my statements to see how much I am owed! Let battle commence!

welcome briony

spend as much time as possible reading the FAQs and other threads particularly here on the NW forum. we all support and advise each other thru the various stages.

there are about ten moderators and administrators, un paid and overworked angels who will answer any unusual legal question or worry but basically 99% of the answers are here on the site already.

i really hope you get all your money back, i remember only too well how difficult student budgeting was (ie borderline starvation!). no one has lost yet and it wont cost you much to pursue so you have nothing to lose. good luck

kate

Thanks kate - I'd just been looking at your thread actually! *spooky*

I've been browsing round this site for about 3 hours and had completely forgotten about having lunch until now!!

I've learnt some really useful things and will hopefully continue to find more useful info!

v spooky!!

I'm at an early stage too, so lets see how we get on.

3hrs!!! you just wait this place is dangerously addictive, like i said in my thread its abit like entering the matrix. banks etc will never seem the same!

loads of luck

kate

• Confused 1

I've had a look around the site and I've read a lot about DPA letters requesting information from the bank, but would I be able to just go into my bank/phone up and request statements back to the year 2000 or would they not do this for me? I have just relised I only have statements back to 2003.

you can ring up and request all your statements going back 6yrs, they will prob charge you a fiver. however this isn't necessarily a DPA request which costs £10. A DPA will(theoretically) release all data held about you such as letters, transcripts of calls etc.

to be honest the statements are the vital bit but if you dont request them in writing quoting DPA, then the bank is not restricted by the 40 day rule.

I've decided to just use the statements so i'm going down the phonecall route, my dpa's got 'lost' in the post anyway. but if those statements dont turn up then i'll kick myself for not doing it by written DPA cos i'll have lost another few weeks.

kate

Well i sent off a letter recorded delivery yesterday to ask for a complete list of charges applied to my account since the year 2000 (I've had my account sine i was a baby so hopefully that will give me a good 'loyal customer' stand.

Having read most of the recent posts now, I am wondering if I should be sending a DPA as well to get evidence of manual intervention (or lack thereof). I have read that some people have not recieved this information even after they sent a DPA, any advice on this?

Hy Bryony, welcome!!

Don't for one minute think the long standing loyal customer bit will help. I have banked with the Abbey for over 20 years never had charges before last August!! 7 in one day, asked for refund then before I knew about this site. They told me to go away!!!!

Have now issued court proceedings on them for just £300 after sending all the sugestied letters, quoted the loyal customer bit to them but it did not make any difference.

Good luck, keep going it will be worth it honey x x

7th June mcol £30 + 276.00 + int17.37=£323.37 Abbey

Accepted £291 chq cleared 28th July

7th June mcol £120 + 1135.02 charges + 83.42 chq for £1438.44 paid to bank 2nd Aug

Thanks everyone for all you words of support and advice. Has made me even more determined to get what i'm owed!

PS: pretty please could a mod change this thread name to Bryony84 vs Natwest!

Thanks!!

I've had a look around the site and I've read a lot about Data Protection Act letters requesting information from the bank, but would I be able to just go into my bank/phone up and request statements back to the year 2000 or would they not do this for me? I have just relised I only have statements back to 2003.

Hi,

I find myself in a similar situation to myself - as a student I got hit with charge after charge as the term ended and I had nothing coming in, despite the fact that a month later i'd be 'rolling in it' when the loan payments came in. Ridiculous!

I'm pretty new to this game, but I would definitly advise making a data protection request and NOT going down the route of asking nicely for the statements in the branch.

Natwest have managed to delay me by a month and a half because you don't really have any comeback unless you have made the official request using the act. They finally claimed that they wouldn't be able to supply old statements for ages because they were 'changing the system' and didn't know when it would be fixed, obviously a set response to put off claimants like ourselves.

Good luck with your claim. As i say, be prepared for them to put obstacles in the way if you give them the opportunity. As such start recording every letter, phone call and response in a diary from day 1, and send all correspondance by recorded delivery so they can't claim they never recieved it.

Plutos

SNATCHWEST and NOBBETS no scare me!

Got another reply from antwest today - they are stalling again. Letter states that to get a list of charges they have to send me a copy of my bank statements and I need to send them a £5 cheque for that. I'm not sure why they can't just debit it from my account - they have no problem removing £38 charges!!

Grr. Anyway, cheque in the post tomorrow. I'm still sticking to the 40day limit they gave themselves.