• Tweets

• He is still trading.   I won't get anything out of it, no.  But is that the point?  Not charging it means the Govt misses out on important revenue 
    • for whatever reason, if you did not get the original PCN on the car/by hand nor in the post before things escalated you need to appeal using the correct forms, not a soft appeal to the issuing council Which forms to use for which offence pe2/3 & te7/9 - Local Authority Parking and Traffic Offences - Consumer Action Group  
    • as this situation has now come up again for you, how confident are you that if you get on the straight and narrow with having a respite of 60days (Options for dealing with your debts: Breathing Space (Debt Respite Scheme) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)... would you then be able to resume ok? if not quite honestly, the very best thing you can do is to get ALL your debts defaulted by the issuance of and the registering of a Default Notice from each creditor. this is done by stopping ALL PAYMENTS, it wont hurt you short term, esp as all the debts are still with the Original Creditors. this of course will kill credit for 6yrs, but, will cause the debts to vanish from your file (paid or not, paying or not) on the DN's 6th B'day, but of course that wont mean the debts are not still owed, legally, just your file will be clear of them all. if you read a good 10-20 of the stories in this very same forum you found to start yours, you'll soon get the idea behind the advice given. as for things like IVA/BK etc NEVER EVER do those, that secures unsecured debt. just contact one of the free DMP providers and get breathing space implemented, that gives you a 60 day buffer to firm up your future actions. but DO NOT enter into a DMP, do one yourself. they can be a bit pushy, but simply insist you just want breathing space invoked, i would only be giving them enough info to achieve BS too, don't give them anything you don't need too, they are funded by the banks and debt collectors and can sometimes be over intrusive and nosy wanting info that is better not revealed. dx    
    • “Not realising it was a no parking zone” doesn’t help you if the timing is correct, as (at least, on Google Maps / View) there is clear signage ('7am to midnight', parked at 15:22) What might be worth pursuing is the "ticket handed to driver" aspect : do you have any view on why they would be  stating that?
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

DCA approach after 5 years.....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Jason,

I fully understand the panic that you are going through.... Some companies will bully you more than others and you will have to protect your interests all the way. If they are able to get hold of a 'phone number for you, do not get into any conversations with them at this stage. If it comes to you having to settle with them, make sure that you offer nowhere near the amount that they are asking for. Box clever.

Have a read of the thread I have given you.... and see how similar it is to what you are going through. My situation was very different and there was no way that I could risk going to court. As you are named on Deeds, it sounds as if you won't want to go there either. This is one of the reasons why I try and advise people outside of the courtroom, so to speak....

Yes I suppose "panic" is getting close to the correct feeling but I am trying to hold myself as best as I can as feeling that way will not help at all!! (That's easy to say though eh?!?!) I certainly do not want to go to court, I would like to stall them for a while, maybe ask them if we can come to an agreement on how much they will accept as a full/final settlement at the same time as trying to raise the funds and maybe ask them for enough time. I am genuine in this and maybe if they see me as genuine then they will give me a little time!!! Maybe I am being hopeful!!

I think if they got my number I would change it and go ex directory, I wont be harassed.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wont be harassed.

Quite right Jason. Remember to keep everything in writing. Also remeber it's far more beneficial for them to get a small percentage now as full and final settlement rather than have small payments for the several years.

Take your time to work out your options. Don't rush into anything (I think you've already sussed that out).

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thank you Rory, everything you have just said makes sense. I am going to go to bed now and I think I will sleep well. If nothing else actually talking about this with people is help in itself as I do not feel alone in this.

Thanks again.;)

Jason, Please see my reply posted here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-944272.html

Good luck with yours.

By the way you may be asked for an Income and Expenditure Statement to justify your offer. When you do, do not estimate your outgoings as if you were going to have a frugal existence. Holidays abroad are a legitimate expense, as are household improvements, and paying for evenings out.

The advice I would give is that if you estimate your expenses so you are having pate on your crackers instead of caviar, then that is okay. But don't think of giving up pate in favour of fish and hampaste.

All the best

Chris

hi everyone im new to this site but glad i found it.i am in the same situation i owe 20000 to northen rock from a propertey i had over six years ago im finaly on my feet now but i am in the process of getting a morgagte and and have just got a letter from fairmile recoverries saying they have bought the debt from norten rock. shall i still go ahead with the morgagte shall i get in touch with them and offer them a paymeant plan please help dont know what to do:-?

hi everyone im new to this site but glad i found it.i am in the same situation i owe 20000 to northen rock from a propertey i had over six years ago im finaly on my feet now but i am in the process of getting a morgagte and and have just got a letter from fairmile recoverries saying they have bought the debt from norten rock. shall i still go ahead with the morgagte shall i get in touch with them and offer them a paymeant plan please help dont know what to do:-?

Joe

Are you in the same position as Jason, where you did not reach a final settlement at the time with Northern Rock, or are you like me where you had, and still have the correspondence?

Kind Regards

Chris

Imagination 75, thank you, I nearly fell off my chair laughing at your reference to crackers with pate etc, soooo funny and I get the point also, its nice to be on here and still be able to laugh! Cannot say thank you enough for your advice but a bit confused as the the reference as it appears that you have cleared the debt owed and unfortunately I havent!!

Imagination 75, thank you, I nearly fell off my chair laughing at your reference to crackers with pate etc, soooo funny and I get the point also, its nice to be on here and still be able to laugh! Cannot say thank you enough for your advice but a bit confused as the the reference as it appears that you have cleared the debt owed and unfortunately I havent!!

joe h, dont rush into anything just yet, I nearly did and I'm glad I didnt. I am looking at getting an extension on a mortgage I have currently so I can make an offer and clear my debt but I want to slow them down as much as possible. I have received two letters but neither has been recorded delivery, so, have I received them!?! I have not corresponded at all with these people and as such have not yet admitted liability.

Neither of you should admit to any liability at the moment, or indicate receipt of their letters.

But "should" and "I am so sick of this, I want closure", are different things.

I went to the Citizen's Advice Bureau, who helped me with the Income and Expenditure Account, and corresponded with and spoke with Northern Rock's solicitors on my behalf.

You need someone on your side dealing with these people who is not going to demand a cut of your savings for helping you. If you both go to the CAB and lay it all on the line - they expect this - then you should get help.

I have copied my letter to the CAB to keep them informed in case they have similar cases crop up like ours.

Don't start talking yet with professional people about raising finance let alone applying. All applications for finance get recorded, and if they get even a sniff that you are prepared now to start paying, then they will be all over you.

• Haha 1

I must admit that I am a little nervous of not sending ANY correspondnace at the moment. I dont know what they can do to me without me admitting liability but the last thing I want is either papers landing on me to go to court or bailiffs turning up at my door!! How can they proceed as it stands at the moment?

Closure may be what I want to some degree, however I am obviously not just going to take the easiest route as far as the DCA are concerned as I agree with you on the point that they will go for the jugular if they think I am just rolling over.

We need others that have offered advice to pick up some of these points.

I wouldn't beat yourself up about any applications you have put in to improve your life.

And I would advise again to talk to the CAB.

Best wishes

Chris

Really appreciate all your advice and support chris.

Can I ask a maybe seemingly daft question?! With regards to not being able to send a CCA when its to do with mortgage arrears, why is this the case? Should I not be able to request all of the documentation that a CCA requests in order for the DCA to be able to prove themselves of having all they require to chase me for the debt. I must admit though that I am a little dubious as I dont want them to get "miffed" with me and then suddenly decide they want all monies owed now!!!:???:

Really appreciate all your advice and support chris.

Can I ask a maybe seemingly daft question?! With regards to not being able to send a CCA when its to do with mortgage arrears, why is this the case? Should I not be able to request all of the documentation that a CCA requests in order for the DCA to be able to prove themselves of having all they require to chase me for the debt. I must admit though that I am a little dubious as I dont want them to get "miffed" with me and then suddenly decide they want all monies owed now!!!:???:

I don't know, is the simple answer.

I am curious about one thing though - (only one!?!:) ).

When the CAB contacted Northern Rock for a breakdown of the £30125.49, they were able to send both that, and all details of the surveyor's report etc. Has Fairmile got access to all that stuff, or are they simply asking for a sum of money without anything to back up where the exact figure came from?

i havent had any contact with northen rock for over six years my morgagtge is going to start soon will they know i have got a morgagte. by the way i am putting 5% down shall i get in touch with them before the sale goes throuh and offer them 50 pound a month. help please

I don't know, is the simple answer.

I am curious about one thing though - (only one!?!:) ).

When the CAB contacted Northern Rock for a breakdown of the £30125.49, they were able to send both that, and all details of the surveyor's report etc. Has Fairmile got access to all that stuff, or are they simply asking for a sum of money without anything to back up where the exact figure came from?

Not sure if you have me mixed up with someone else here, that figure isnt mine and I havent had CAB contact anyone!!

joe, I am new at this but did you have your house repossesed originally? If so, I dont think they can come after you after 6 years for the remainder. Someone else will definately be able to advise you better but I have read this tonight!!

hi jason yes my house was repossed over six years ago but i have been told that they can chase me for upto 12 years the thing is im a month away from completing the sale on a house im buying can they find out ive got a morgagte

That is what I thought, but I have read another post (wish I could remember who it was now!!) and he had a link to another post that had lots of different letters to send. Basically, the info I read said that if your house is repossessed they can only chase you for the remainder of any outstanding debt for 6 years, saying that you know a damn sight more than me but I am forever the optimist, yeh right!!:D

i havent had any contact with northen rock for over six years my morgagtge is going to start soon will they know i have got a morgagte. by the way i am putting 5% down shall i get in touch with them before the sale goes throuh and offer them 50 pound a month. help please

Take tomorrow or Friday off and get in to see the CAB. Ring the office nearest you first thing in the morning. If you can take your partner, so much the better.

You can get the contact details, and office locations from your local council website, or direct from: Adviceguide from Citizens Advice

Take tomorrow or Friday off and get in to see the CAB. Ring the office nearest you first thing in the morning. If you can take your partner, so much the better.

You can get the contact details, and office locations from your local council website, or direct from: Adviceguide from Citizens Advice

I think I will do that myself, thanks mate.