• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Help needed with claiming charges back from RBS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6027 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi again,

I've just sat down to do my husbands chart and request for refund and the statements they have sent are the wrong ones again. Its now 45 days since the original request I've checked my letters just in case I had requested the wrong ones but I haven't and its clear and in bold which ones I need. I have replied promptly with all letters so I haven't caused any delay, what sort of letter should I send back?

Many thanks.

Brooklyn.

Hello again,

I have received another letter today below;

We refere to your complaint on bank charges. we beleive that your complaint concerns the level,fairness or unlawfulness of the charges. If it concerns something else, such as an administative error, please let us know.

We beleive the charges are fair, transparent and lawful.

Since we last wrote to you, the bank (with several other banks) became involved in legal proceedings with the office of fair trading ( "OFT") on bank charges which we beleive will resolve the legal issues about the fairness and legality of your bank charges.

It would be our normal approach to resolve your complaint through our internal complaints process as quickly as possible. However, until the determination of the legal issues in the above proceddings, we have asked the Financial Services Athority ("FSA") to suspend the normal timetable for dealing with bank charges complaints, and the FSA has agreed to this request subject to conditions that protect your rights.

We can assure you we have registered and stored your complaint. please retain your bank records, as this will make it easier for you to support your complaint on resolution of the test case.

Once the legal proceedings between the OFT and the banks finish, we will resolve your complaint as quickly as possible.

We are sorry that we have not been able to respond in full to your complaint now, but we (together with the FSA and the OFT) think that it is necessary to resolve the key legal issues before we decide how we should respond to your complaint.

Obviously exactly what will happen next will depend on the courts. We do not know how long the case will take - we have prommissed to proceed as quickly as possible but inevitably given the importance of the issues being concidered this may take many months to finally resolve. But we can assure you that once the legal proceedings are completed we will resolve your complaint as quickly as possible. If at that stage you do not agree with our conclusions you will of course be able to refer your case to the Financial Ombudsman Service ("FOS") (or to the courts).

Should you decide to refer your case to the FOS, you should be aware we have asked both the FOS and the courts not to proceed with any other case they are hearing until the test case is resolved. The FOS has indicated as a general proposition that it will indeed not proceed with cases which rely on the legal issues being considered in the test case.

Similary, you should be aware that if you choose to issue a claim in the County Courts, " the Masrer of the Rolls" (in England & Wales) or "The Lord Chief Justice"( Northern Ireland) has, at our request,issued a notification to the County Courts suggesting they stay proceedings about bank charges until resolution of the of the banks' proceedings with the OFT. Alternatavely the bank will immediately apply to the Court for an order to stay your action until the resolution of the bank's proceedings with the OFT.

We will keep you updated appropriately about the proceedings with the OFT. You can also check the latest position on our website at RBS: Test case - Overdraft Charges – Update.

The FSA requires us to ensure that your complaint will not be adversely affected by the delay in dealing with it. Customers for whom Scotland is the most likely juristiction should be particularly aware of the following:

1. You may choose to take your complaint or claim against us either the FSO or the courts in Scotland.

2. Your right to refer your complaint to the FOS will not be affected. The FOS provides a convenient alternative to the courts, and is free for consumers. However, as already explained, you should be aware that the FOS has, at our request, decided not to determine these complaints for the time being until the test case is resolved.

3.However, if you nonetheless wish to take your claim to the courts in Scotland, you should be aware that the timing of when you raise a claim against usmay be important. As such, you may wish to seek indipendant advice on filing a claim now to protect your rights (although you will have to pay a court fee). If you do this, you should be aware that the bank will immediately apply to the court to put your action on hold until the resolution of the bank's legal proceedings with the OFT.

If youhave any further questions or would like an update on the latest position regarding proceedings please check our website RBS: Test case - Overdraft Charges – Update or call us on 0845 3030 442. Lines are open 9.00am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday or 9.00am - 1.00pm Saturday.

Yours sincerely

sandy Watt.

customer relations.

WHAT DOES ALL THIS MEAN AND WHAT DO I DO NOW ?

Brooklyn

• 2 months later...

Hello is anyone there?

Sorry its been so long but we've had a run of bad luck and i haven't been much use to anyone. could someone please advise on what to do after this letter as nothing has been done since it arrived, do i proceed with the next step or do i wait, i would hate to miss out. I'll be reading through again to try and catch up with whats going on but if anyone could give me a quick update and a what next i'd be very greatfull.

Many thanks,

Brooklyn

Hi Brooklyn, the letter you received in August is a standard letter that all banks have sent to customers attempting to reclaim their charges since the OFT test case was announced (links to the test case can be found on my signature and in the stickys).

Unfortunately though, the impending test case means that no payouts are being offered at prelim/LBA stages - and those who file at court find that their claims are 'stayed' until the outcome of the test case is known.

Having said that, it is still advisable to ensure that your claim is filed at court - this way, once the outcome of the test case is known your claim will be 'at the top of the pile' so to speak. Plus, you need to bear in mind the statute of limitations (again, links to all of this can be found in the stickys).

A very small number of claimants have managed to have their stays lifted recently, but they have been in genuine financial hardship (and others in financial hardship have been told by the courts that the stays will remain regardless of their personal/financial situations :( )

I'm sorry I can't be of much more help at the mo except to say file at court - then await the outcome of the test case.

Best of luck x :)

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Hi,

Many thanks for the update i'll be catching up on everything asap, with all the other bad stuff i've had happen lately i didn't want to lose out on this aswell.

thankyou so much for your advice.

Brooklyn.