• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

First victory to Lloyds

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6057 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

well why did he loose then?

Having looked through the judgment, it appears that the contention is simple - that the charges cannot be penalty charges simply because there has been no breach of contract to be penalised in the first place. It then follows that the charges are simply agreed fees for extra services which the bank provides to its customers. This is a very poor attempt at cloaking penalties; the "services" are provided without the customer's consent, and furthermore their use is not encouraged by the bank. The judge makes a clear distinction between the OFT credit card ruling, an area where contracts routinely contain conditions prohibiting exceeding limits, missing payments etc (thus making the charges automatically penalty charges rather than agreed fees etc) and this bank case, where there is nothing in the terms and conditions of the contract with the bank to say "You must not go overdrawn! You must not allow DDs to bounce!" etc. This is nonsense, for the simple reason that almost all correspondence from banks after a breach (or, sorry, after a "use of an extra service which the bank provides on your behalf for a fee without notifying you") - the famous £30 letter - contains some kind of request not to do it again, rather than a sign-off along the lines of "We hope you found this service useful, please keep bouncing DDs and going overdrawn if it helps you out!" or somesuch. I would contend that just that wording alone would be enough to drop the cloak and show that there was indeed an implied term in the contract stating that going overdrawn without authority was indeed a breach, and *not* simply a pre-agreed extension of the bank's services and one which they were within their rights to charge for.

The later part of the judgment is pure fantasy stuff - the judge refused to allow the claimant to use any evidence whatsoever that the banks were charging vastly more than it actually cost them to carry out these "services" on their customers' behalf, and instead began working using a model of the banks' profitability in general, relying on a frankly misguided notion that not only was it perfectly acceptable for banks to subsidise wealthy customers by charging poorer ones, but that this is apparently in fact the only way banks can make money at all, and that this is how and why they are able to provide all those call centres, cash machines etc. At one point, the judge actually lays out what he understands to be the way which banks can break even - to get a balance of customers who pay (willingly) for being graciously allowed the use of extra services like unauthorised overdrafts, and customers who don't want all those extras and just keep their accounts in credit. On this basis, the banks are free to charge precisely whatever they like, because the charges cannot be unreasonable since they're the only thing keeping a beneficial business afloat. This is an entirely absurd and wholly indefensible position and would quickly have fallen apart under closer scrutiny. I refer back to the letter I mention above; surely, if these services were no more than a lifeline of income for the bank rather than any kind of penalty, they would positively be encouraging customers to take up these services, rather than warning them not to keep issuing cheques etc. ALL of this would stop being an issue as soon as the banks release information regarding how much it actually costs to do this stuff, and how much of their income was derived from these charges as opposed to interest on capital held, investments etc. That would be admissible as evidence of the charges' reasonableness (or lack of) and render this entire line of argument redundant.

I find the judges' reasoning extremely flawed on both of those grounds and, while I've no idea what would happen during an appeal, I think those would be good lines of argument for anyone stuck in that situation to fire back should a similarly loopy judge start giving the questions they gave Kev.

• Haha 2

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH

Sorry...

People need to read the details of the news properly. I feel really sorry for Kev.

There were TWO claims judged in this case. The 1st 'Haughton' was NOT prepared.

The 2nd Kev WAS prepared and the judge called him a "model litigant'. I think the problems we need to address are further than making sure that we have the right paperwork in the right order. We need a rebuttle to the judges contention that the charges are not related to breach of contract and are proportionate.

Sorry for the shouting but the chinese whisper effect is driving me nuts.

I quite agree. The above are some suggested lines of rebuttal to the judge's arguments. Kev couldn't have been any better prepared in terms of his bundle and his homework, and it's really unfortunate that too many people are skim-reading the news report followed by the judgment and not distinguishing between the two claimants.

However (and this is in no way a dig at you Kev), he obviously wasn't completely prepared (and who would be?) for the grilling by the judge, because from reading the judgment it was his ready acceptance of the charges not being penalties for breach which set the judge off on this daffy train of thought. Kev was then backed into a bit of a corner, forced to try and argue about the charges being unreasonable rather than flat-out unlawful and the judge was having none of it, simply because there isn't any admissible hard evidence (other than common sense) that the charges ARE unreasonable.

Still, Kev did everything else right, including seeking proper help as soon as he got the judgment in draft and getting a proper response in. There was a failure to use the "that's utter [edit]" defence against the judge's claim that the only way banks stay in business is by charging some customers extra, but I don't think there's very much he or Tom Brennan could do to change a mistaken mind once it was made up, so it probably wouldn't have made any difference.

Does this set the precedent we have all feared???

Nah. It's full of holes. Even if the judgment contained a cast-iron reason for the charges being legal after all, it wouldn't be binding on any other cases - this is pretty much the lowest possible rung of the civil justice ladder. This judgment can be no more than "persuasive authority" on future cases at the same level, meaning that the arguments laid out can be referred to - but they can also be rebutted and refuted. Which they would be.

I'm not a betting man, but I'd guess if Kev can avoid the bank's likely demand for security for costs by showing he has funds available to fight the case, then Kev's claim will be settled before it actually gets to the High Court, where a bank loss WOULD set a big fat precedent. There's always the chance that the bank might get another highly-sympathetic judge, but equally Kev would probably not be a litigant in person and would have a top brief to represent him and who wouldn't just accept the judge coming out with the kind of rubbish the DJ came out with in this case. The stakes for the bank are far, far too high - they didn't even defend this one intentionally, I'd reckon there's almost zero chance they'd risk millions of pounds defending the appeal.