bp v abbey x2

bp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6125 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 2 months later...

hi all, i've not said anything for a while, bit too much going on at home.

Update: finally put claim in and Abbey had to respond by the 6th Aug. They acknowledged with he intention to defend on the 26th July, i've jut had an email from my favourite person at Abbey our lovely Inga to say that just in case i didn't know, abbey are applying for a stay of all cases, i've asked my court and they have said that my case is still ongoing. Is there a generic response to the courts when the banks ask for a stay? has a stay of all cases been agreed?

any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks Michael, just found the link. Sorry i was just being lazy!

On a lighter note, right under Inga's email was "Ashurst, winner of law firm of the year 2007" God! i wonder what they had to do to get that? fob as many people as poss? offer lower amounts to claimants thereby still saving their clients money?

I decided to be a bit cheeky and asked her if this new strategy of avoiding paying out money also applied to abbey suspending all future charges from its customers accounts? lets see if she replies to that!

well she's a busy woman1 this is her reply

The whole purpose of the commencement of the Test Case is to clarify the law in this area. Abbey will continue to post updates on its websites to keep customers informed on progress of the Test case.

I feel like sending a message asking why if this issue needs clarification, why has abbey applied thse charges and why does still apply them while the issue is going to court?

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, i received the usual letter, Abbey will be asking for a stay of my case, they've acknowledged my case twice! and today, i got a copy of their defence. This defence is different from the other one back in April. Does anyone know if a copy of their new defence is posted on this site somewhere?

4.3 if the defendant honoured the payment instruction in question, the Defendant thereby accepted the claimant's offer.

4.4 Accordingly, the claimant became bound to pay interest and charges in relation to that loan at the stipulated rate.

4.5 That liability does not at common law, constitute a penalty charge.

So these are longer Breaches of contracts but loans? Anyone recognises this? Is this the new standard defence?

Thanks in advance

Hi BP long time no speak, yes it represents a change, BUT it is in response to Abbeys changes of terms and conditions, and if you have seen them then you will know that they are penalty charges by a different name, they have just changed what they call it and (so they say) how they apply it. unfortunately even Abbey cant backdate their own terms and conditions, so it really means jack IMHO, nontheless, i think that GaryH might like a look at it

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Hey Lula hun thanks very much.

I guess i'll just have to send the usual strike outs but include a copy of their prev defence. first thing, need to find out if they have asked the court for a stay.

Funnily enough I got exactly the same defence through yesterday for my o/h's claim.

unfortunately even Abbey cant backdate their own terms and conditions

Exactly. They've defended based on terms which weren't even thought of at the time the charges were taken, let alone in existance. Its a completely invalid defence. I'm going for summary judgment on mine - I.e an application that the defence should be struck out and judgment granted without a full hearing becouse the defence has no real prospect of success.

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Yup, 'fraid so!

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.