• Tweets

• A 'signed for' Letter of Claim has been sent today so they have 14 days from tomorrow... Lets wait and see what happens but i suspect judging by their attitude they wont reply 
    • I am extremely apprehensive about burning our files.... I do not know why, so it is becoming an endless feedback loop. Scared to pull the trigger to speak in the desire not to mess up my file. 
    • Hi All, So brief outline. I have Natwest CC debt £8k last payment i made was 7th November 2018 Not a penny since. So coming up to the 6 year mark. Can't remember when i took out the  credit card would be a few years before everythign hit the fan. Moved house 2020 - updated NatWest as I still have a current account with them. Then Lowells took over from Moorcroft and were writing to me at my current address. I did get a family member to speak to them 3 years ago regarding the debt explained although it may be in my name I didn't rack it up then went contact again. 29th may received an email from overdales saying they were now managing the debt. I have not had any letter yet which i thought is odd?  Couple of questions 1. Does my family member speaking to lowell restart statute barred clock? 2. Do you think overdales aren't writing to me because they will back door CCJ to old address even though Lowells have contacted me at current address never at previous? ( have no proof though stupidly binned all letters  ) Should I write to them and confirm my address just incase? Does this restart statute barred clock? 3. what do you think best course of action is?   Any help/advice is appreciated I am aware they may ramp up the process now due to 7th December being the 6 year mark.   Many Thanks in advance! The threads on here have been super helpful to read.  
    • Hello all, just got this from my bank today.   ” Update on your payment refund As you know we temporarily refunded the amount(s) of £381.98 to your account pending investigation. We’re pleased to confirm that an additional amount of £359.99 has also been refunded to your account by the retailer on 18th March 2024. What will happen next To correct this situation, arrangements will be made on 6th June 2024 to reverse the original refund supplied from us.  Our file in respect of this matter will now be closed, which we trust is satisfactory.”   Not sure what to do as I was previously told if I hear nothing back after a certain date that would be the case closed now it’s been changed to the 6th of June. and as you see I’m not getting a full refund I don’t know wether to contact them again and try to get the £20, or if I even can at this point? Thanks again.   
    • Is your current mental health causing you to apply negative thinking? If the answer is yes, then you should get some advice. The following website link enables free mental health support. https://atw.maximusuk.co.uk/?utm_campaign=EMP-ATW-B2C-B2B-leadgen &utm_medium=PPC Google Text&utm_source=Paid Seach&utm_term=maximus mental health&
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

First direct logistics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5898 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have found a good way to prevent this type of thing is to pay my debts as they fall due.

It seems strange to me that people get into debt and then complain when they don't pay the money back and get chased for it. It's quite funny really.

Borrow money- pay it back. Simple.

I don't work for a debt recovery company, or have any ulterior motive. I am just a little bemused as to why people feel they can run up debts and not have to pay them back.

Or even, borrow money and leave the address without letting the creditors know, leaving family to clean up the mess and deal with irate people on the phone and enough mail to wipe out an entire rain forest.

Things must be slack with the DCAS as they seem to be spending a lot of time on here pontificating and spouting the usual DCA propganda. Good for you Paid Up. Lets hope you never experience Unemployment. Ill Health or a broken marriage.

I did not address my response to any individual- including the original poster. Nor did *I* direct any personal attacks against any individual poster.

If anyone has read it that way, that's their problem to own.

I have never commented on the 'legal right' of any debt collection agency.

It is, however, against the law to take out credit and not pay it back. It's called fraud. Sorry but what part of The Fraud Act do you get that from. Its Fraud only if you take out a loan with the intention of not paying it back.Funny how we have to look at everyone *other* than the debtors here isn't it? Although you SAY you do not work for a DCA your mantra seems so similar its hard not to draw the obvious conclusion.

Only confirms what I thought already.

As for the poster who has had a crad through for her estranged husband- I am in a similar situation. So why on earth would I direct any negative comments to them? So you say

I had a card through from First Direct Logistics regarding my ex. I found this site because the card looked suspect- I googled it, and this site came up.

Yea, it's pretty awful to look at the possibility of losing your home because you married someone was was stupid enough to get into debt *that they could not afford to pay back*. No-one sets out to get into debt, most people on here except for you obviously have got into debt for a number of reasons no of which could be classed as 'stupid'. I did not ask for my company to fold, I did not ask to have a serious medical condition nor a marraige breakup as many on here have suffered.(I get into debt too. I pay it back. That's the difference)Would that we were all so lucky as you

It is unfortunate that some irresponsible people rack up debt and leave their families in the 'poop'.

All I can say is that HFO were very nice to me especially when I told them where my ex was.Well that just goes to show their is an exception to every rule. Read the numereous threads on here to see the real 'caring' and 'not so nice' side of HFO

As for responsibility for the debt... did you sign anything? If not then you're pretty safe. My ex's debt is all on credit cards, in his name alone, from which I had no benefit. So, no, legally they cannot chase me. Doesn't stop them coming after my ex's half of the equity in the family home though. What do they do, leave me with two walls and half a roof?

The law, when it comes to debt, and in particular *avoidance* of paying debt, sucks big time. Thanks for the confirmation

As for DCA's chasing people who do *NOT* owe money- well that is obviously wrong, and at no point have I ever condoned that. I feel I have nade it quite clear that my opinion is that DCA's have a job to do to chase debtors that are refusing to pay back money they owe. Simple.

It happens and you KNOW it happens. There is nothing wrong with people excercising their LEGAL rights under the CCA. Similarly there is nothing arong with a DCA excercisng their Legal rights assuming of course they have Legal rights such as an executed agreement and deed of assignment.

If people have the *intention* of paying their debts back why do they fail to provide a forwarding address to the creditor and then think it's clever to change their telephone numbers? The majority on here are still living in the same house. The main reason people tend to change their telephone numbers is to prevent the Unlawful Threatening calls these DCAs want to make

Again, you insist on personal attacks and insist I work for a DCA, which I have said I do not.

So, now you resort to saying I am lying because you can't accept the truth?Only you know the truth as to who you are

My company folded in June 2006. My marriage had already broken down and I was in the middle of a divorce. Yea, I am soooo *lucky*. I am not posting that for sympathy, because I really do not want it. I just don't think that using bad personal circumstances as justification for debt is not always the case. (obviously, I do not know your situation, so that is not directed at you)So are you suggesting that a series of unfortuante events such as losing one's job, home and health is no reason for not being able to pay your debts. If you lose a job along with the ability to work where else do you suggest we get the money to pay our debts.:?

As for DCA's. If the bank had been paid back in the first place, they would not have sold the debt on would they?You really do not seem to have grasped anything which has been said. Contrary ro you allegations the site does NOT condone debt avoidance. Most of us here would have paid our debts had we been able to.

Smashedbobo, I have not directed any comments at you personally. I am really genuinely pleased for you that you have managed to get through what must have been a horrendous time- and that shows great strength.

I am also really disgusted that a DCA has now started chasing you for money which you do not owe.A lot of people on here are being chased for debts they do not actually owe just because they have a similar name to someone the DCA is looking for

Again, my comments were not directed at people in that situation, but rather generally to state that I understand why DCA's become involved when people are deliberately avoiding their debts.No one is saying that DCAs should not get involved is chasing debt so long as they abide by the law which sadl the majority do not appear to want to do so. Again I have to point out to you that most people on here are not deliberatel avoiding their debts and have no desire to be treated like **** by some jumped up bully in a call cente

As far as I am aware this is a public forum, and when a thread is started, it is 'public'. It's an unfortunate fact of posting on a forum that you have to take the good with the bad. If you see mine as 'bad', then you are quite entitled to ignore me. I won't be offended in the least.

I do not mean any offence to you, or any individual here. I haven't attacked anyone here. I have merely stated my opinion based on my own experiences of being severely affected by debt.

I can see some here think I live in a happy 'little world', but those people are making assumptions which couldn't be further from the truth.

I have been dealing with this for 15 years now- personally, and NOT because I am on the 'other side' which is being continually stated by some on here, even though I have clearly stated that I am not working for a DCA.

Debt destroys lives. I am sorry if I have caused personal offence because that was not my intention. I have not personally attacked any individual on here despite being attacked myself.

DCAs destroy lives

• Haha 1