• Tweets

• Climate change: World's oceans suffer from record-breaking year of heat WWW.BBC.COM Every single day of the past 12 months has seen a new global sea temperature high for the time of year. World's oceans suffer from record-breaking year of heat NOAA Real-time Sea Surface Temperature | EarthNow SPHERE.SSEC.WISC.EDU   Heat Wave in East Africa EARTHOBSERVATORY.NASA.GOV Sweltering temperatures led to power cuts and school closures in South Sudan.   We could be 16 years into a methane-fueled 'termination' event significant enough to end an ice age | Live Science WWW.LIVESCIENCE.COM Methane emissions from tropical wetlands have been soaring since 2006 and accelerating at the same breakneck speed as when Earth's...     There is no way to know what a termination could signify today, given that we are not in an ice age.
    • What was your estimate of the depreciation in value? Frankly it is such a vague measure of your loss then I think that it was a mistake for you to suggest that. What is the value of a free service? What did you actually lose by not having it with you at the time? Where do you normally keep it? Do you think it is now fully repaired or are there some outstanding issues? Have you used it or parked it up in the rain?
    • and didnt Sunak end up trying to claim that defense is best in Tory hands ROFL they cant even get a trident test right, let alone keep the British flag ships maintained and working eh? - and all in full sight of our enemies  
    • Hi all,  Many moons ago (2012)  I had a Virgin credit card (issued by MBNA) that defaulted.  They did provide a valid CCA so I was advised by the good folks on CAG to make small payments to keep them quiet - I set up a standing order to pay them £5 a month, and it's been that way ever since.  The debt has been sold on a million times, but £5 is nothing so I've paid no attention to it.  Anyway, I received a letter from Capquest (who must be the current owners of the debt) back in March asking me to contact them to discuss a suitable repayment option, and the account will now be managed by Resolvecall.  Now £5 a month IS a suitable repayment option so I ignored their letter.  A few days/weeks later, I received a letter from Resolvecall, acting for Capquest wanting me to contact them and threatening a home visit if I ignored their letter.  Obviously I DID ignore their letter, and last week a lady knocked on the door (unanswered) and put a card through asking me to contact Resolvecall. Interestingly, their letter said if I didn't reply within 7 days from the date of the letter, and...you guessed it, there was no date on the letter! Out of curiosity, I logged in to Resolvecall's account, and it shows my two most recent £5 payments, so they ARE receiving my money but clearly want more - which they're not getting.  Now - do I play silly b*ggers with them, and ask them to provide the true copy of the CCA to see if they can come up with the goods? Do I just ignore them and carry on paying my £5? Do I stop paying altogether?  I know the case isn't SB as I've been paying regularly, but not sure how to play going forward?  Any suggestions gang?  Thanks you!   
    • Agreement start date 27/11/15 Amount added from previous loan (before interest was, again, added to it) was, £3441.62
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Claiming beyond 6 yrs - important new information!!!

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5703 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi imgoingtoget allcharges back from hsbc, but the only info i have is the address i used to live at, i know this should'nt be a problem as i have done this with a couple of other banks. but is there a template for this?

I would go into your local branch and get them to give you the account numbers etc, HSBC did for me.

Tanz

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Concealment amounts to a question of the morality of the defendant's action. Once this is established then I do not believe that the courts will strive to give them any help.

I understand from Zootscoot that this view is also confirmed by case-law.

Could I please have the links for this case law please Bankfodder/Zootscoot?

Thanks.

Tanz

Hi ds

I think that CAG really needs to get the letter templates, POC templates and all the other bit into the library to avoid confusion for claimants, I know this is prob work in progress but due to some of the cases that have been thrown out etc lately it is all the more important for members to have some good examples to your as a starting point.

Has there been any news as to when this will happen, as in BF's post #1 it was suggested:

We will be amending templates and so forth in the coming days

Tanz

Hi Tanz,

That would be brilliant if there were some letters & POC templates as I feel at the moment lost and confused and very alone.

So far I have taken Bongs POC and have changed it slightly but still feel that it needs more work and in light of that case falling down on the limitation acts lots of help and support is definately needed in this area if we are to suceed not just for me but for all CAG'ers who want to go further back.

My problem is that on my actual claim about 80% of it is over 6 years ago so I need a very strong POC, with no gaps!!!!

Maybe someone will come and help me!!!!!

DS

Do you have T&C's for the account ds?

When was it opened?

Remind me which bank you are with?

Also can you pm me the POC? I will have a peek for what its worth.

I think part of the reason for the claims being thrown out was due to arguements not being fully stated.

ie if you can show through the T&C's of when you opened your account that the charges were for breach of contract (failing to have sufficient funds in the account caused a charg, and have T&C's to prove they have now concealled the charges by cloaking/veiling them as a service charge, your proof would be changes to the wording in the recent T&C's. This coupled with the OFT findings and that they continue to charge you after this was discovered by you gives IMHO a strong arguement for section 32 to come into play. You can also add that fact you beleive they have misrepresented the nature of the charges etc.

Tanz

The account was with the Halifax and was opened as a joint account prior to 1995 and in fact I believe it could have been opened as early as 1990. The account was closed by them in Oct 06 or that is when they sold the balance of the account to capquest. It was only Capquest that sent me the statement going back to 1997, but the account was definately opended long before that. Most of the majority of charges on this claim is at least 80% before 6 years. We cannot find the original file so no we do not have T & C's. Do you know someone that has or should I write to them for a copy.

I will let you have a look at the POC when we finally get it all together.

Many thanks for your offer of help.

DS

Not that far back I have Halifax Cardcash Conditions March 1999.

dsilverstein/tanzarelli

I've not got the hang of CAG web-site, yet! Am I right that Bankfodder depositons 'definitive'? I would like some thing definitive when the principal sells off the debt, to a third party 'Capquest' must be some issue of bonafide.

I had a contemporary, whereat a third party unbeknown to her, had run up a BT telphone bill to over £4k in one quarter, yes one quarter, where previously it would have been around £100. Pursued by a so called 'international' firm of debt collectors. She referred to the 'principal' BT, Sir IanVallance, never heard any thing more from the 'international' debt collector & heavy handed tatics! Interestingly I believe this trigerred a soft ware package, whereat BT now send a warning when an account appears to be running in historic excess.

Yours truly awaitng Financial Ombudsman Service, any one out there any experience? I note a proliferation of 'firms' offering 'no win, no fee' any feed back, moreso solicitors/counsel oferring 'pro bono'?

Not sure what your asking but if you want info on debt or the sale of debt to a DCA then start a thread in one of these links and ask your question in there:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bailiffs/

HTH

Tanz

Can anyone tell me what I should write officially on my court form in response?

I need to send the court form back to the court and to Nationwide today. Advice urgently needed!!!

Many thanks,

Erica

PS The reason why the dates now go beyond six years is because NW were so slow sending statements, time to take to court etc...

What court form are you referring to?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Bunnie here, I am new to this site so I hope I get this right, I have statements going back to 1994. I put in a claim with Barclays Bank and they came back with a settlement offer, I called them to negotiate a deal because the amount was no where near what I am claiming, It turns out that the bank will only go back 6 years so to 2001. The chap asked me where I was getting my figures so I said I have statements going back to 1994 he said ah we calculate only back 6 years and said it wasn’t set by the bank as to how far back anyone could claim it was the government. Is this true and how do I claim back all my charges back to 1994? I hope all that makes sence.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Bunnie

Hi Bunnie,

Section 32 of the Limitations Act 1980 states:

32.--

· (1) .... where in the case of any action for which a period of limitation is prescribed by this Act, either-

· (a) the action is based upon the fraud of the defendant; or

· (b) any fact relevant to the plaintiff's right of action has been deliberately concealed from him by the defendant; or

· © the action is for relief from the consequences of a mistake;

· the period of limitation shall not begin to run until the plaintiff has discovered the fraud, concealment or mistake (as the case may be) or could with reasonable diligence have discovered it. ....

· (2) For the purposes of subsection (1) above, deliberate commission of a breach of duty in circumstances in which it is unlikely to be discovered for some time amounts to deliberate concealment of the facts involved in that breach of duty. . . .

(5) Sections 14A and 14B of this Act shall not apply to any action to which subsection (1)(b) above applies (and accordingly the period of limitation referred to in that sub-section, in any case to which either of those sections would otherwise apply, is the period applicable under section 2 of this Act).

This is what we use to keep claims in the primary limitation period. However it is not just a case of adding this into our Particulars of Claim and expecting it to get allowed. We need to argue this should apply and the arguements are that we beleive the Banks have deliberately concealed this information from us or the other arguement is that we mistakingly pais the charges believing them to be lawful. You will need to read up on this if you are going to attempt a claim like this. This thread from the start is a good place to start.

Also look here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/33005-bong-hsbc-contractual-interest.html

also here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/3598-do-you-have-charges.html

Also here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/66227-limitation-act-1980-s32.html

Tanz

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Do you really know this for a fact, or is it more hearsay from the bank staff?

There may be better advice from my 'more learned friends', but I would say assume nothing and ask for everything! Do not go in assuming any prior knowledge about their archiving regime - it could damage your case and allow them to take advantage.

I have had 12 years of statements from barclays, and their letter confirmed thats all they hold it for. Its prob longer but that is what they seem to be going by.

Tanz

Could anyone please tell me what this paragraph is from?

c) The Defendant has concealed, and continues to conceal that the charges debited are unlawful. If this is not the case, and the Defendant truly believes that these charges are lawful, then the Claimant contends that the Defendant is mistaken. As the Claimant only became aware during February 2006 that the charges debited were unlawful, then section 32(1 Xb), or section 32(1 )©, of the Limitation Act 1980 should apply, and the charges debited are therefore within the primary limitation period.

Thanks

It has been used by many as part of a POC or witness statement and the last half should read:

As the Claimant only became aware during February 2006 that the charges debited were unlawful, then I hold that section 32(1)(b), or section 32(1)©, of the Limitation Act 1980 should apply, and that therefore, all of the charges debited fall within the primary limitation period.

Tanz

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone got the corrrect details for what i need to put in and to use in filling in the court claim form for claiming over 6 years.

All help appreciated.

First I suggest you do some reading around various threads also have a look at the limitation act section 32.

You need to prove they have deliberately concealed the unlawful charges or knowingly witheld information form you.

LIMITATION ACT 1980

1980 CHAPTER 58

PART II EXTENSION OR EXCLUSION OF ORDINARY TIME LIMITS

Fraud, concealment and mistake

Royal Assent [13 November 1980]

Limitation Act 1980, Ch. 58, s. 32 (Eng.)

32 Postponement of limitation period in case of fraud, concealment or mistake

(1) Subject to [subsections (3) and (4A)] below, where in the case of any action for which a period of limitation is prescribed by this Act, either--

(a) the action is based upon the fraud of the defendant; or

(b) any fact relevant to the plaintiff's right of action has been deliberately concealed from him by the defendant; or

© the action is for relief from the consequences of a mistake;

the period of limitation shall not begin to run until the plaintiff has discovered the fraud, concealment or mistake (as the case may be) or could with reasonable diligence have discovered it.

References in this subsection to the defendant include references to the defendant's agent and to any person through whom the defendant claims and his agent.

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) above, deliberate commission of a breach of duty in circumstances in which it is unlikely to be discovered for some time amounts to deliberate concealment of the facts involved in that breach of duty.

(3) Nothing in this section shall enable any action--

(a) to recover, or recover the value of, any property; or

(b) to enforce any charge against, or set aside any transaction affecting, any property;

to be brought against the purchaser of the property or any person claiming through him in any case where the property has been purchased for valuable consideration by an innocent third party since the fraud or concealment or (as the case may be) the transaction in which the mistake was made took place.

(4) A purchaser is an innocent third party for the purposes of this section--

(a) in the case of fraud or concealment of any fact relevant to the plaintiff's right of action, if he was not a party to the fraud or (as the case may be) to the concealment of that fact and did not at the time of the purchase know or have reason to believe that the fraud or concealment had taken place; and

(b) in the case of mistake, if he did not at the time of the purchase know or have reason to believe that the mistake had been made.

[(4A) Subsection (1) above shall not apply in relation to the time limit prescribed by section 11A(3) of this Act or in relation to that time limit as applied by virtue of section 12(1) of this Act].

[(5) Sections 14A and 14B of this Act shall not apply to any action to which subsection (1)(b) above applies (and accordingly the period of limitation referred to in that subsection, in any case to which either of those sections would otherwise apply, is the period applicable under section 2 of this Act).]

Got what I expected from the FOS, it said that the banks were suspending any payouts until the test case was resolved - they went on to explain about the test case and what it was. They asked me to put my signature on a form just to give them permission to take up the case again as soon as the test case is over (They could not give me any idea how long that may be).

So as far as I can see, there is nothing more I can do until the bank gets back to me about the letter I sent them refusing to give them back their offer of "Goodwill" - and I'm sure they will.

You need to forget the FOS and file a claim with the local county court, then when the stay is ordered make an application to have it removed.

Tanz