MOT Advice

fivelaws
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5039 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I write computer software used by a number of VTS (the "proper" name for MOT stations), I know quite a lot of testers, owners of test stations, my wife is a VTS admin and I've been on VOSA courses. The following is general advice gathered over many years;

1. Arrange your MOT in advance of it running out. A large percentage of people leave it until the day before and then phone around trying to find a station to do it 'today'. The majority of VTS who can do a test at short notice aren't busy enough (depending on location, the busy ones are booked up for 2-weeks). If a garage is busy, it probably won't want any remedial work and will do a straight test (they will probably also replace bulbs as part of the test). If they aren't busy, they will fail for rubbish reasons to get the mechanical work.

2. If you have the free time, ask where the "viewing area" is when you book the car in. All VTS have to have one and the only people who ever ask are immediately flagged as "suspected inspectors".

3. If you are not happy with the fail, explain to the examiner why not and ask for a VOSA appeal form. If they are pulling your leg, they will backtrack very, very quickly.

4. If you do appeal to VOSA, be prepared for the most thorough test ever. They generally requisition another local VTS for a half-day. The failing tester has to be present and VOSA turn up with two inspectors. It's not unknown for the appeal test to take two hours.

5. Because computerisation now prevents any spurious fails, the dodgy route is "emissions". If you're car fails for either emissions or the braking efficiency test, make sure you get the printouts. The testing equipment MUST produce a printed report and you are entitled to a copy. If they can't give you a printed copy because "the printer is out of ink" or any other excuse, point out that it is a requirement by VOSA and that they can't technically conduct tests until the fault is fixed.

6. Although there is a maximum test fee, stations can charge what they like and you often see adverts for half-price tests. With the exception of busy cities where discounts are common - Do. Not. Touch. Them. With. A. Bargepole. Like I said in (1) the busy VTS is the most honest and they see the test fee as sufficient profit. If the station is charging £20, they're looking to make their profit on the remedial work, so borderline passes will turn into fails every time.

Hope that helps you all.

• Confused 1

A&L: Settled - £6,200

HFC: Settled - £800

Shell Visa: Settled - £250

Egg: Settled - £700

Mint: Settled - £1200

RBS: Settled - £850

The opionions in this post are guaranteed to conform to the laws of physics, but pretty much nothing else...

Sorry, my bad. The exception to the discount rule is metropolitan areas, especially London, where the competition is so high most centres discount. I should have been a bit clearer on that! (hence the ninja-edit above).

Main dealers have to bilk customers double to pay for the £2m dealership contract, which is why they charge £95/hour or more (our local BMW dealership is a staggering £125/hour). Curiously though, since the dumping of the block exclusion malarky (meaning you can get a new car serviced anywhere without effecting your warranty), main dealers can often be the cheapest place to buy spares. Our local Vauxhall dealership is the cheapest place to buy most common spares...

The opionions in this post are guaranteed to conform to the laws of physics, but pretty much nothing else...

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 11 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5039 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks