• Tweets

• You're welcome. Lots of people aren't sure where to post when they arrive but you'll get used to the forum. HB
    • I’m so sorry for posting in the wrong place and I am so thankful you have replied to me thank you.
    • Hello, welcome to CAG. I've moved your thread to our Retail Loss Prevention subforum for further advice. It sounds as if you may get letters from people like DWF solicitors or a company called Retail Loss Prevention but we always recommend to ignore them. If the police weren't called on the day you aren't going to hear from them. Ask us any questions you want to and keep in touch but I don't think this will go anywhere. Best, HB
    • Hello, firstly thank you for reading this. I know no one wants a long winded back story. So I’ll be breif. I entered a local store to buy some paint (which I did pay for) I am honestly not a bad person or a theif.   Didn’t have a basket or trolly as was on my lunch break. Whilst picking up the three tubs of paint placed some masking tape in my pocket (it was hanging out of so I had every intention to pay) just didn’t have a hand free. Paid for my goods (forgot about the £4.39 masking tape) I’ve got so much going on and im not well at all (like I say no one cares I get that) also have autism so wasn’t thinking particularly like others do maybe (who knows my minds going around and around) I left the store after paying, was pulled back in by security. Asked for the tape which I gave immediately  shook up. Gave them my ID and details. I was given some paper and told to expect a large fine in the post for their time and the tape and sent on my way. my questions are: I hardly ever go out without support so the ban I guess I can’t go there now for anything (their loss) - ok but is my photo going to be all over with my name? how much am I expecting in the post as a fine? I have sent them cash in the post recorded signed for delivery to arrive tomorrow (incident happened today) for my error. Their Address was on the bit of paper. i have read two posts on this page but they were from many many years ago so I hoped for updated advise please? 
    • V important you read lots of BMW threads too !  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

log book loans help please!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6251 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been reading through various different threads on this forum regarding LBL, and to be honest I'm horrified. My partner recently passed her test and we bought a car earlier this year. However as we are on benefits and caring for a disabled child we couldn't afford to insurance the car in my partners name, so we insured it in her fathers name and put her on as a named driver. However for the policy to be legal we had to transfer the car into her fathers name because the policyholder also has to be the registered keeper. Anyway we found out the other day that her father has taken a loan out on the car with LBL without our knowledge. We actully found this out from a third party and have now gotten copies of the agreements that had been given to him from LBL. To be honest I can't believe this company can get away with giving out these kind of loans. The first payment isn't due for another few weeks yet, but I have no doubt that her father will not be able to afford to make the payments as he is himself on disability benefits, and after reading what some of the people on this forum have gone through with these cowboys I am absolutely s*****g myself. The loan amount is only £700 but the APR is 402.7% (is this legal)? His repayments are £33 per week (He only gets £72) and to end the agreement early we would have to cough up nearly £1800, which is totaly out of the question. (At the moment I haven't got £18).

Anyway what I want to ask is where do we stand with regards the legality of the agreement as the person who took out the loan was only the registered keeper and not the owner. I have an invoice which states I purchased the car. Also is the above apr legal? One other thing according to the agreement the early settlement figures increase rather than decrease. For example if we want to pay back after one quarter it would cost us £1400 but to pay back after three quarters has elapsed will cost us £1800. Surely this can't be right.

If anyone has any advice to offer I would realy appreciate it and if you need any further info please let me know. I hope somebody can help because these people seem to prey on the vulnerable, who they know can't afford to fight back.

thanks

timpo.

402%!!! That's worse than most loan sharks!! I would contact your local Trading Standards, I'm not sure if there's an upper limit on apr

I did consider doing that, however from reading these boards I have come to the conclusion that Trading standards have been as much use as a chocolate fireguard when it comes to this company. I also don't want LBL to get wind that this agreement is being questioned until I know for sure whether it is legal. Who knows what they may do.

Get some legal advise or visit CAB A.S.A.P,they wont hang around much once you default (know from experience) hopefully you'll get a reply from lbl on here he/she is pretty clued up on this company.Also get in touch with BBC WATCHDOG they are interested in LBL.And look at over threads there/s a email address for TS with a complaint number,send complaint to them using that number.Keep us imformed on situation.

Hi,

Having read your post, a couple of pointers that may be of interest.

1) Your partner's father has actually committed fraud in acquiring this loan, as he will have signed a "declaration of ownership" confirming that he indeed owns the car and is free to secure a loan upon it. Unfortunately, to invalidate the security on these grounds, you would actually have to file a complaint with the police.

2) The APR is "legal" as such, but could be declared "an extortionate credit bargain" by the court if it can be shown that in the individual case the terms are unreasonable. This could possibly be the case in the event that your partner's father clearly cannot afford the loan.

3) The "early settlement" figures you have quoted are the total you would repay under the agreement including all weekly payments made up to and including the date of settlement. So yes, after three quarters of the term, it would be significantly higher than after one quarter.

If you are prepared to report your partner's father to the police, you could possibly have the loan overturned, but you would be leaving yourself open to difficulties from your insurance company, as a named driver is not supposed to be the main driver of the car. The best advice I can give at this time is to make sure the payments are kept up to date while you explore your options, and obtain independent legal advice.

Hope this helps

lbl

Double Cheese, it sounds like timpo's loan had what logbook loans call "advanced payment plan" built in, as he has said that the first payment isn't due for a few weeks. This will up the amount of the loan, although he will only have received the £700. £33 per week sounds about right in that case.

Thanks guys for your input. Calling the police is definately not an option. Going by what lbl says we have no option but to make sure payments are made. Doublecheese lbl is correct. It would seem that he deffered payments for 5 weeks, hence the higher repayments.

timpo1981 - If you are prepared to ensure that the payments are made, do not under any circumstances let Logbook Loans know that your partner's father does not own the car. If you do, they will seek one of three remedies:

1) To report your partner's father to the police for obtaining the loan fraudulently and sue him civilly for the full amount of the loan including interest and legal costs.

or

2) Terminate the loan agreement, and seek to repossess the car, claiming that they were acting in good faith in securing the loan on the vehicle, leaving you to claim against your father's partner for your loss, whilst pursuing him themselves for any shortfall following sale of the car.

or

3) Seek to sign you up for a new loan, including the settlement figure for your partner's father's loan and secure the loan against the car again but in your name as the owner of the car

I am not advocating any unlawful act here, and to rectify the legal situation, ideally you should sign over ownership of the car to your partner's father for the duration of the loan, backdating the receipt to before the loan was taken out. This will protect him from legal action if Logbook Loans were to become aware that he did not own the car when he took out the loan.

Your partner's father should look into the possibility of having the court look at the "credit bargain" to see if it can be classed as extortionate, however, very few cases have been successfully won against lenders.

Hope this helps.