• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Leecabs VS Abbey Nat

Leecabs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5545 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello All,

well abbey have sent a standard offer letter offering 65% of the claim 'With out Predjudice' which is £5112 to which im going to send back the below:

''With out Prejudice''

Re: County Court Claim Number XXXXXXXX

Response to settlement offer.

Dear Abbey National PLC

Thank you for your letter dated 20/06/07. I respectfully decline your offer of £5112.08 as settlement of my claim .

My claim is for £7614.74 as outlined in my Particulars of Claim, plus court costs of £250.00, and this claim will continue until payment is made in full.

Alternatively, should you wish to settle my claim in full, then please forward the balance of the claim £7864.74 without further conditions and I will inform the court that the claim is settled.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully

Leecabs

Does that seem ok to everyone????

Any input will as usual be greatfully recieved. Its getting serious must admit im nervous, but they were so bad to me:(

Its been likel Piccadilly Circus in my mailbox yesterday, they also sent me a copy of the defence if there is a moderator out there who would just check its standard for me I would greatly appreiate it. Oh and do I send a copy to the court of the defence or do they send one?

Can I have some views on all this please, im going ahead with the claim although the 5K is tempting I want the 8k.

Thanks

Leecabs:shock:

27/02/07 Sent Data Protection Letter

28/02/07 Data Protection Letter Receievd by Abbey National

14/03/07 1 Years Worth of Statements Recieved from Abbey National

22/03/07 Abbey National cashed my cheque for the Micro-fiche data

03/04/07 Sent Letter Before Action (Chasing Micro-fiche data)

04/04/07 Letter Before Action Recieved by Abbey National

10/04/07 40 Day Limit has now expired only 1 years of data sent.

18/04/07 Reported Abbey National to the Information Commissioners Office (Information Comissioners Office)

19/04/07 Recieved full list of Charges from Abbey and withdrew my complaint to the Information Commissioners Office

24/04/07 Prelim letter sent to Abbey with a list of my charges without 8% Interest. 14 Day Limit.

26/04/07 Abbey respond by telling it will take four weeks to investigate what ever!

08/05/07 LBA Has been sent special delivery to Abbey 14 Day Limit then N1 will be submitted.

23/05/07 Submitted by N1 Claim Form, List of Charges, Small Claims Court request Letter to Bow County Court and paid £250.

29/05/07 Receieved a letter from Shabbey stating they will not cave for another 4 weeks at least! LOL

05/06/07 Recieved a letter from Bow County Court saying that my claim is deemed served as of 3rd June, Abbey have until the 18th of June to respond/Acknowledge.

14/06/07 Received Acknowledgement letter from Bow County Court letting me know Abbey are to defend the claim. They now have until 02/07/07 to defend.

21/06/07 Recieved offer of £5112.08 sending a rejection letter by Special Delivery on 22/06/07

21/06/07 Abbey have submitted their defence it wasnt due until 02/07/07 so least I should get some news from the court before I go on holiday.

Thanks Noobrider,

I know I would settle for 95%, its hard to turn down so much money 5K is alot of wonga!

But its the principle if they wanted 8K back from me do you think they would settle for 5K 'Our survey said X'

Cheers

Leecabs:)

Thanks for the continued support Fendy and Jo x

Fendy im just waiting to here from the court as to what they wish to do this week, hopefully they will skip the allocation questionaire bit as I submitted a letter requesting to stay on the small claims track. If I can get a court date im going to wait till ten days before and send a final demand letter to Inga Kirkman before court. Hopefully I can haggle but wont go lower than £7614. They can keep the costs, im not so greedy.

So back to a bit more waiting z z z Z Z Z

Leecabs :cool:

Hello Everyone,

wow things are moving quicker than I expected I have now recieved my allocation questionaire.

I have some questions that arent answered on the guides, can someone please help me:

1) In Section D it asks for the claim amount, do I change the amount to reflect the increase in interest accured since I entered by N1 claim?

Or do I just keep it the same as the

Under Section D Witnesses:

2) On the witness section do I just enter my name and adress?

Next to witness name it has written Witness to which facts, do I enter anything? Witness to all facts?

Track:

Shall I ask to continue on the small claim track as I did when I entered my N1 form even though my claim is £7900

Shall I just state the below?:

I would like to request that my claim against Abbey National PLC remain in the small claims court and be dealt with by Bow County Court only. I make this request as I do not feel I have the resources unlike Abbey National PLC to make a claim in a Higher Court. This will save time in the courts and not use any further court resources than are absolutely necessary in determining this matter.

In addition, I believe my case is identical in type and complexity to a very large number of other bank charge cases which are also being heard through the small claims track, and so this case should therefore be considered accordingly.

Or should I go for fast track? Getting confused reading guides but there is not much in the way of explanation can someone help me?

Finally should I include the below draft directions, as im not sure what Track I should be on Fast Track:

In the XXXXXX County Court

Claim number XXXXXX

Between

XXXXXXXX - Claimant

and

XXXXX - Defendant

Draft Order for Directions

The Claimant shall within 14 days of service of this order send to the Defendant and to the Court:

• a) A schedule setting out each charge repayment of which is sought, showing the date, amount, and reason given (if any) for that charge being made;

• b) Copies of any statement or other document relied upon as showing that each and every charge has been made;

• c) A statement of evidence of all matters relied upon as tending to show that the charges are irrecoverable as penalties or otherwise;

• d) Copies of decided cases and other legal materials to be relied upon.

If the Claimant fails to comply with this order, the claim will be struck out without further order.

2. The Defendant shall within 14 days thereafter file and serve a response to the Claimant's schedule, stating in respect of each item claimed;

• a) Pursuant to what contractual provision such charge was made, producing a copy of the contractual document relied upon;

• b) Whether such charge is accepted to be a penalty, and if not why not;

• c) If such charge is alleged to be a pre-estimate of the Defendant's loss incurred by the Claimant's actions (whether or not such action is treated as a breach of contract between the parties), all facts and matters intended to be relied upon as showing that such was a proper estimate of such loss, and all evidence to be adduced at trial as to what the true cost of dealing with the matter was;

• d) If such charge is not alleged to be a pre-estimate of the Defendant's loss incurred by the Claimant's actions then facts and matters intended to be relied upon showing the basis upon which the charge was calculated and all evidence to be adduced at trial as to show that the charge was fair and reasonable.

• e) Any witness statements.

• f) Copies of decided cases and other legal materials to be relied upon.

If the Defendant fails to comply with this order, the Defence will be struck out without further order.

Im really confused now can a moderator please help me?

Thanks

Leecabs :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

27/02/07 Sent Data Protection Letter

28/02/07 Data Protection Letter Receievd by Abbey National

14/03/07 1 Years Worth of Statements Recieved from Abbey National

22/03/07 Abbey National cashed my cheque for the Micro-fiche data

03/04/07 Sent Letter Before Action (Chasing Micro-fiche data)

04/04/07 Letter Before Action Recieved by Abbey National

10/04/07 40 Day Limit has now expired only 1 years of data sent.

18/04/07 Reported Abbey National to the Information Commissioners Office (Information Comissioners Office)

19/04/07 Recieved full list of Charges from Abbey and withdrew my complaint to the Information Commissioners Office

24/04/07 Prelim letter sent to Abbey with a list of my charges without 8% Interest. 14 Day Limit.

26/04/07 Abbey respond by telling it will take four weeks to investigate what ever!

08/05/07 LBA Has been sent special delivery to Abbey 14 Day Limit then N1 will be submitted.

23/05/07 Submitted by N1 Claim Form, List of Charges, Small Claims Court request Letter to Bow County Court and paid £250.

29/05/07 Receieved a letter from Shabbey stating they will not cave for another 4 weeks at least! LOL

05/06/07 Recieved a letter from Bow County Court saying that my claim is deemed served as of 3rd June, Abbey have until the 18th of June to respond/Acknowledge.

14/06/07 Received Acknowledgement letter from Bow County Court letting me know Abbey are to defend the claim. They now have until 02/07/07 to defend.

21/06/07 Recieved offer of £5112.08 sending a rejection letter by Special Delivery on 22/06/07

21/06/07 Abbey have submitted their defence it wasnt due until 02/07/07 so least I should get some news from the court before I go on holiday.

27/06/07 Allocation Questionaire receieved from court.

Bump please can someone help:

1) I have spoke to someone regarding the amount and they have said I should put all of the claim including costs and recent interest. Really want to get this sent out today as I will be on holiday from next Thursday :-|

Thanks Jo and Feater for bumping me, feeling a bit calmer.

I have figured out Most of it im sticking to my small track request and have put in the supporting text. I will put my name down as a witness to the facts but it asks witness to which facts do I need to list or just put all or just my name under that???

Im going to use them directions they look sound and may help stop the judge asking for a directions hearing.

Now my BIG problem is the amount:

can you please help me getting confused on the amount I should put on the AQ questionaire. On the guide its said your claim amount and all interest is that up until I submitted my N1 claim form or up to the date I recieved the AQ questionaire?

On the same subject it said not to inculde costs does that mean not to include my court cost. I have been told by a friend I include it should I?

Any help you could give would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks for all your continuing support.

Leecabs:confused:

Thanks Jo will do that on the witness front.

The amount seems to be very weak on explanation im thinking of just putting my charges + interest up to the point my N1 form was entered. If you are not supposed to put the costs in section G then I dont think you put them in the amount of claim in dispute.

I have PM'd Fendyweather and Gary H hopefully they can help me.

Cheers

Leecabs :)

Gonna take a look on some threads see if that helps this driving me round the bend what amount on the AQ? Think I will be dreaming about this tonight LOL

Leecabs (Still need help on the amount please):)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

well Abbey have returned their allocation questionaire and they are asking for a stay on it :mad:

The court should now notify me I think of the stay? Is that right?

I phoned the court and they said it will be a month from the 11th July for the judge to decide what he/she wants to do! That seems like a stay to me if he gives them a stay on top of that month I will go mental!!!!:mad:

Really not happy just getting fed up with all the delays!

Any views welcome! Depressed at the moment was hoping for some quicker action by the court.

So its back to waiting z z z ZZZZZZZZZ:mad:

Thanks Jo they did make an offer but I dont want to send them a final demand offer until I get a court date, I will settle for 7500 of the 8000 so I wonder should I make them a without predijuce offer of £7700??

Least I can try and its something to do in the mean time!

x Lee x:)

Thanks Jo and GIBYSOB

I have been quite busy this morning gonna try and write a draft offer to this afternoon and will post it on here this afternoon to see what everyone thinks.

Not sure if I should send it to Claire as so far Abbey have not put any solictor details on the Defence or Allocation questionaire? Should they have???

I think I will post the offer to Abbey all official like!

Leecabs:D

Hi Jo, Jules and Sue,

thanks for the surport as ever!:)

Jo none of my correspondence has any solicitors names on there strange or not?

Jules think I will send a copy to her by e-mail and post a copy to Abbey HQ as well a two pronged approach!

Hi Sue long time no speak glad you have a date are you going to send off a bundle to the court I hear that gets Abbey to take you seriously! Then you can send them a final demand letter 10 days before the hearing see post #25 on this link its a good template may help speed things up and makes you look good for trying to settle http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/90825-no-offer-yet-2.html

Thanks everyone im out of my down state and ready to get back at them!

x Leecabs x:D

:) Excited ok I have played about with the final demand letter and added my own hint of sarcasim e.g. The in your wisdom line LOL!:)

Claim number ****** – **** County Court

Acc No **********

I am writing this email as a offer of settlement before the case is allocated in Bow County Court.

I am aware of the large amount of claims which you are currently dealing with and to assist your workload I believe it would help all concerned to settle this matter out of court.

It is well documented that you have no intention of ever going to full hearing, shown by the fact that you have settled an extremely large number of claims at the last minute before going to court. It would be beneficial to all parties, including the court system that this matter is dealt with out of court.

My claim amount as of today (13/07/07) stands at £8,034.10 including court fees and interest, I am prepared to settle this matter for the sum of £7,700.00

It should be noted that Abbey National PLC are still incurring £1.36 a day in intereston the claim. If the claim is not be heard until 09/09/07 as suggested in your draft directions to the court the total claim amount will rise to £8112.98, this amount does not include any further costs.

This settlement offer is valid for a period of 14 days, after this period the offer will expire. If in your wisdom :p you wish to settle this claim before any further court action, please deposit the amount in my Abbey National Bank Account or send a cheque made payable to Leecabs at my above address.

I am hoping we can come to an amicable agreement on this matter.

I look forward to receiving your prompt response.

Yours sincerely

Ok what do you think is it to much or just right?

Feeling happier doing something!

Ok its sent e-mail and posted here back to the wait and see game with the post the way it is I doubt I will get a response before the begining of next week!

Leecabs ;)

I sent it to Clare Fletcher at ASHurst and look what I got offered below they are taking the mickey now!:rolleyes::evil::rolleyes:

Dear Mr Leecabs

Without Prejudice

Whilst Abbey National Plc appreciates your offer of settlement it is insufficiently commercial for it to accept the same. I am however instructed to put a counter offer to you in the sum of £600.00. Any payment will be in full and final settlement of your claim and without admission of liability by or on behalf of Abbey National Plc.

Please let me know if you would like to accept this offer and I will process payment.

Kind regards

Clare Fletcher

They offered me £5121 2 weeks ago!!!

You have to laugh or you cry!

Leecabs

I have posted a copy of the offer to Shabbey HQ so they may come back with a better offer directly and oh look there goes another flying pig LOL

I also sent a copy to Bow County Court so they are kept in the picture.

Just waiting to find out what is happening from the court now.

Lee:)

This was my repsonse:

Dear Clare,

I will not be accepting the below offer which is incidently just over £4500 lower than the last one. Can you explain why you would offer only £600 when im claiming just over £8000?

I would like to thank you for taking the time to reply and look forward to your repsonse to my above question

Kind regards

Leecabs

Do you think I have had a response? Nope LOL :lol:

Perhaps she was to embarrassed :lol:

Thanks Lula for the advice x