• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Humpty Dumpty's reply to DPA request??

rosco1977
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6562 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All

I sent a DPA request to EGG using the standard template. I sent £10 as stated in the letter. However, I received a letter from them on the 4th May asking for proof of ID.

"Identification

Any of the documents listed below may be used for this purpose:

- A bank, building society or credit card statement

- A store card or catalogue statement

- A utility bill

The document must be an original, not a photocopy, and dated within the last 3 months. It must show your full name or first initial and surname and your current address. All documentation will be returned to you. If you are unable to provide any of the above items, please attach a letter confirming your identity. This must be an original, typed on headed paper, dated within the last three months and authenticated with an official stamp if applicable. It should be from your employer, solicitor or other professional body or person."

I therefore sent them a bill for my Orange mobile phone. However, I received this back with another letter saying that they are "unable to carry out your request because you have not provided the required identification document(s).". This letter now only shows the 3 items as bullet pointed in the above statement as being acceptable forms of ID and asks me to fill out "the form" and return these items using the pre-paid envelope.

There is no form or pre-paid envelope...

I also remember seeing somewhere that the fact that my address that I am using to correspond with them is the same as the one they hold on their system for my account should infact verify that I am said person. Unfortunately I can find this thread again so can't use the advice or template that was given. I also don't have any utility bills, store cards or catalogue statements for this address and I don't want to send other banks details to them.

Any advice would be much appreciated on this matter.

On a side note is the 40 days still ticking??

Many thanks in advance

Rosco1977

Barclays (DPA sent 26/04/06) owed £2515

Egg (DPA sent 26/04/06) - Awaiting Response

MBNA (DPA sent 26/04/06) - Owed £1102

Cahoot (DPA sent 26/04/06) - Owed £1160

Unfortunately they have discovered another delaying tactic.

They can demand ID within the legislation, and the clock starts from when they receive it. The only thing I would say is if they waited more than about 10/14 days before asking for the ID, you could claim that they were trying to stall your request, and threaten that you will contact the IC.

When I contacted Egg, I always did it through their online secure messaging service. If they then request ID you have a sure fire complaint to publicise because that is then them effectively saying that they don't trust their own secure messaging system. If not strictly within the DPA surely this would be highly embarassing for them... :D

If you have found this post (or any other post) useful ensure you click on the scales in the top right of that post to give credit where credit is due.:D

DO YOU HAVE A WEBSITE AND WANT TO PROVIDE A VALUABLE LINK TO THIS FORUM ? Go to this thread:-http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=52854

As ever, with (I believe most if not) all advice given on this website, I am not qualified to give any advice and you are duly warned that any decisions are your own decisions made on your own account and no liability will be accepted for any advice followed ! Use your own judgment.

Seek advice of a qualified, insured, professional if you have any doubts.

I've just sent the following email via their Secure Messaging Service. Thanks for the advice dinghy.

Dear Ms Jenny Gordon

Further to your letter dated 10th May 2006 I am writing to you via your Secure Web Messaging service to confirm that I XXXXXXXXXXX of XXXXXXXXXX wish to confirm my identity for the purposes of my written request for a Subject Access under the Data Protection Act dated 26th April 2006.

Details on your own website state that I can use the Secure Messaging Service to request this service as quoted below.

"What products and services can I use secure messaging for?

You can communicate with us using secure messaging about all of our products and services, even ones you don't currently hold."

As the address that I require the DSIR to be sent to is the same address that you currently hold on your files in relation to my accounts, and the fact that I provided an original Orange PCS statement showing my name and the above address following your letter dated 4th May 2006, and the fact that I have responded to both your letters of inquiry for validation of identity, and the fact that I am using your own secure messaging system which verified my person at login, is more than enough validation of the fact that I am the one and the same XXXXXXXXXXXX who resides at XXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Please therefore continue with the DSIR that I submitted as requested. I am taking this email as more than satisfactory verification of my person and you have 40 days from this date,16th May 2006, with which to comply. Failure to take this email as such verification of my identity and my address will be seen as yourselves effectively saying that you don't trust your own secure messaging system, a matter with which I will happily take further.

Kind Regards

X

I'll sit and wait to see what happens!!!

It seems to have worked. The cheque I sent to egg was cashed today!!

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6562 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks