• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Goods Vehicle Loading Only !!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6336 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently got a ticket outside our local hospital. My wife is a volunteer at the hospital and was driving the car with me as the passenger. She pulled into a series of parking bays which had no yellow lines and stated LOADING ONLY every 25 yards along the bays. She crossed the road to enter the hospital to collect some keys for the Hospital Radio studio, which only takes a few minutes. In the meantime this female traffic warden appears alongside the car and asks if I am able to move it. Damn! The wife has taken the keys with her!!! The warden said she had to give me a ticket. I explained that my wife was a volunteer and would probably be back before she had finished writing out the ticket! I got out of the car to remonstrate with her and she pointed to a sign 10 feet up a post stating "Goods Vehicle Loading Only" which could not be seen from inside the car due to its height. However the LOADING ONLY painted on the road was clearly visible. I told her there was a contradiction and there weren't even any yellow lines to alert you to any restriction. She shrugged her shoulders, told me this wasn't a goods vehicle and left. My wife turned up 30 seconds later. Despite appealing to the local Council the ticket stood and we paid the reduced (50%) fine of £30 within 28 days. It still leaves me seething as there must be something blatantly unlawful about the contradicting signs and lack of yellow lines.

You say in your post that you were outside of the vehicle remonstrating with the cash machine (whoops I meant parking attendant). Did she hand you the ticket or place it on the vehicle? If the former, it was incorrectly served as it should be attached to the vehicle or given to the driver of the vehicle (which she knew you wasn't).

It's irrelevant anyway, as when you paid the PCN, this is an admission of the contravention and that's it full stop.

Usually, I have (very) little sympathy for anyone ticketed for a loading bay contravention (as a LGV driver), but IMHO the PA should have walked away as soon as she knew your good lady was a hospital volunteer.

If there's ever a next time come back here as there a loads of friendly ppl willing to offer support and advise :)

• Haha 1

I don't know what IHMO is, but I do detect a degree of sympathy there. Ta. She stuck the ticket under the wiper and said there's not one rule for volunteers and another for everybody else! They are still ticketing loads of cars there as they have all fallen innocently into the same trap. But who do you complain to ??

Since this is a hospital. it is important to precisely define what sort of tickets this is.

Is it private, council or police?

Most hospitals use private firms, so the ticket is effectively an invoice to the driver (not the registered keeper)

I don't know what IHMO is, but I do detect a degree of sympathy there. Ta. She stuck the ticket under the wiper and said there's not one rule for volunteers and another for everybody else! They are still ticketing loads of cars there as they have all fallen innocently into the same trap. But who do you complain to ??

IMHO is an ackronym, "In My Humble Opinion".

She placed the ticket on the vehicle, so it was correctly served.

My (Dear) Father passed away in hospital in 2004, and as such, it's my absolute belief that Hospital Volunteers should be able to park/load wherever the hell they have to, regardless of being in a car or delivery vehicle!

Leaving, and/or picking up keys IS loading/unloading in your capacities as Hospital Helper/s!

Place a laminated notice on your windscreen in future stating that you are A Hospital Volunteer, and that you are Loading/Unloading/Delivering. I believe this would comply with The Road Traffic Act 1991.

I would be more than happy to make a windscreen laminate for you if you can supply exact details (of volunteer location). And where to post it to of course! (Please PM me if you want me to do this!)

The Parking Attendants are purely cash machines for the local authority, they don't give a monkeys about personal circumstances (I know, I deliver to Mcr City Council where (Manchester) PCN's are ultimately enforced!)

To cut a long story short, you have my utmost respect.

Please let me know if I can help you further.

Good luck, Dave.

dave you are wrong

if it says goods vehicles loading only then thats what it means, just hope this traffic warden sleeps at night

I won £5289 heres how

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/40703-saint-luco-natwest.html

ITS NOT WHETHER YOU WON OR LOST, BUT HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME THAT MATTERS. ( OBVIOUSLY A LOSER THEN):D :D :D

Since this is a hospital. it is important to precisely define what sort of tickets this is.

Is it private, council or police?

Most hospitals use private firms, so the ticket is effectively an invoice to the driver (not the registered keeper)

"Despite appealing to the local Council the ticket stood and we paid the reduced (50%) fine of £30 within 28 days".

Would seem to be Local Council.

Welcome aboard Pat :)

dave you are wrong

if it says goods vehicles loading only then thats what it means, just hope this traffic warden sleeps at night

What constitutes a Goods Vehicle in RTA 1991 ? If a vehicle is delivering, anything... It's delivering and therefore is a goods delivery vehicle!

I to hope that the PA has had his/her hot chocolate! :D

you said " i was outside our local hospital" so i take it that means on the highway, while i dont agree with it you where illegally parked. and in reply to diskmandave any sign you leave in your windscreen does not stop you being booked you have parked illegally,

I won £5289 heres how

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/40703-saint-luco-natwest.html

ITS NOT WHETHER YOU WON OR LOST, BUT HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME THAT MATTERS. ( OBVIOUSLY A LOSER THEN):D :D :D

Thanks for all the points raised above. These were ALL included in the appeal to the local Council and the PA actually made a note that it was a volunteer collecting keys from hospital security, but it made no difference.

I suppose the REAL beef is that the 'Goods Vehicle Loading Only' sign is 10 feet high and not visible from inside the car. However the many 'Loading Only' signs painted in the bays are clearly visible and there are no yellow lines to alert you to any restrictions other than this, so you wouldn't be looking for a pole with a tiny notice 10 ft. high!!!!!!!

There must be some legal contravention going on here and nobody seems to be doing anything about it, so the Council are just raking in the cash!!