• Tweets

• I am sorry about getting your status mixed up.  I have noticed one thing in your excellent WS. On their claim they are only pursuing you as the keeper-I think it is  in their Point C that  states along the lines of -the driver did not pay , so the keeper is liable. So on your No keeper Liability section  You may prefer  to alter 13 to    . It is trite Law that the driver and the keeper cannot be regarded  as the same person and the claimant has failed to offer any proof who was driving.  BY  only pursuing the keeper  when the PCN does not comply with PoFA must mean that their claim fails. See what the Site team thinks as it should  stop the Judge from looking at who was driving as your statement preempts them from even thinking about it.
    • What would suffice as proof? I just emailed them back my date of birth. Should I send a copy of driving licence? 
    • Which Court have you received the claim from ? Northampton   MCOL Northampton N1 ? Manual Claim CCMCC (Salford) ? New beta WWW.MONEYCLAIMS.SERVICE.GOV.UK ?   If possible please scan redact and upload a full page copy of page 1 of the claim form.   This has been uploaded in my previous messages in the bundle of documents     Name of the Claimant ? Asset Link Capital (NO5) Limited   How many defendant's  joint or self ? Self   Date of issue – top right hand corner of the claim form – this in order to establish the time line you need to adhere to./   14/02/2020   ^^^^^ NOTE : WHEN CALCULATING THE TIMELINE - PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THE DATE ON THE CLAIMFORM IS ONE IN THE COUNT [example: Issue date 01.03.2014 + 19 days (5 days for service + 14 days to acknowledge) = 19.03.2014 + 14 days to submit defence = 02.04.2014] = 33 days in total Not relevant as his claim was set aside, and has now been brought to the court again by the claimant       Particulars of Claim   What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim? Please see bundle of documents in previous thread   What is the total value of the claim? £10,734.1    Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ? No   Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred?  Yes - this is one of the grounds for getting it set aside   Did you inform the claimant of your change of address? No Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? Credit Card   When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ?  Apparently 2000   Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? I do not recall entering into an agreement with Barclays   Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax /Etc...) ?  It was, but it is not anymore   Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Assigned to Asset Link   Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? No - although they have provided a copy of the assignment notice in their bundle of docs for the hearing   Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? I don't remember - but again a copy of a letter has been provided (see bundle on previous thread)   Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ?  No    Why did you cease payments?  2015   What was the date of your last payment? December 2015   Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved?  I wrote to Barclaycard back in 2015 to ask them to send proof of the original agreement but they just sent me a reconstituted document which had no personal deals on relating to me   Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? yes - step change took control and set up payments of £1 pm
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Do you want to see bailiffs regulated? Read on...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6276 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Yes i wa s sent this from Lord lucas.

I did not however agree to back this particular option. this is the reply i sent and his reply to me.

Dear Philip

Thank you for your e-mail I found it very interesting and informative and agree with most of what is said.

I have been at the forefront of bailiff action on many occasions working for various voluntarry services in the Greater Manchester area and have had may experiances of the way that bailiffs ignore the current legislation. What wories a lot of us is what is going to happen when they are given additional powers to enter properties using force and restrain debtors.

Many of us would welcome the introduction of additional safeguards on baliff actions but unfortunately experience has shown that untill know any legistaion designed to regulate their actions are ignored, the record of prossecution for bailiffs exceeding their powers illustrates this, therefore we feel that the first and most important matter on the agenda is to prevent the bailiffs having the lawfull right to use force on civil warrents. I will however read the ammendments to be tabled by Lord Lucas and consider what has been said

Yours

Peter.Bardsley

Dear Peter

I agree with you entirely. I think the powers of entry are both confusing and misguided. Although the Minister has said more than once that they restate the present position, and although she is wrong, what's needed is no forced entry to domestic premises under any circumstances without a prior court hearing and a court order. This is the only way to protect the poor and vulnerable - and yet make sure the affluent don't hide provisions designed to protect the poor. But that argument has been exhausted in the Lords and must be resumed in the House of Commons.

Another severe flaw in the Bill is the ways that bailiffs are to take control of goods. To avoid removing goods, a bailiff must either have a controlled goods agreement with the debtor or secure goods on the premises. To insist the agreement is with the debtor is too restrictive: the Minister almost agrees and says that it doesn't necessarily have to be with the debtor - but that's what the Bill says and she won't amend it. To say that goods must be secured on the premises suggests some physical security that must surely harm a family's welfare. Both Professor Beatson's report and the White Paper say the goods can be secured by locking them in a room - but just what room should a bailiff commandeer? A bedroom, perhaps? But, again, we exhausted the arguments in the Lords and must return to the fight in the Commons.

I am also worried about the use of force against people and am entirely un-satisfied by the Minister saying she won't implement it if its not wanted. It was helpful when she said in Parliament that the power is wanted by High Court Enforcement Officers because now we can say how ridiculous that is. HCEOs already have a power of arrest - they, of all bailiffs, don't need a power to restrain! And we really see how foolish the power is when we compare it with the HCEO's arrest power. Having restrained a debtor, what does the bailiff do with him? The bailiff cannot detain the debtor or arrest him. So what can we expect a debtor to do immediately he is released but to resume obstructing the bailiff. That can only lead to violence! This argument has also been lost in the Lords but I do sense enough dismay that we may be able to resurrect it at the Third Reading.

But returning to the issue of regulation, whatever law is enacted -no matter how good it might be - streetwise bailiffs will run rings around it. That's why we need regulation. I think we have no hope of halting the Bill's progress in the Lord's to get proper regulation inserted into the Bill but Lord Lucas's amendment keeps the argument alive and I hope that enough backbench Labour MPs will act to keep it in while we lobby for something better.

Finally, I should say that regulation is essential to tackle fee abuse. Again, no matter how tightly drawn the new fee structures are, bailiffs will find ways to exploit them. It will be no good telling abused debtors to start legal action because that will be beyond most of them. I've worked with bailiffs since I was a manager in a county court in the 1980s and, since the poll tax, I have watched how malpractice has become part of the culture. The Government has wanted a free service for too long and even the most honest bailiffs have had to take a liberal attitude to the fee scales. The poison is in the blood and it will take a generation to purge - and then, only with a proactive regulator

If you are unable to support Lord Lucas, I of course understand. But I hope his amendment is drawn clearly and widely enough that those who support regulation can express their support for this. I know it falls short of what we all want, but it help us take the fight to the House of Commons.

With apologies for another long e-mail - and my best wishes,

Philip

I am still strongly of the opinion that the only way to stop this happening is to ensure the Bailliffs are not given the power in the first place then there would be no reason for additional regulation which probably won't work anyway. I have been present in situations where bailiffs have flauted the legal perrogative and then given the debtor a piece of paper saying this is the address if you want to complain,not much use it is the debtors word against theirs and the damage has been done.

Peter

• Haha 1

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS