Product Related Charge From Abbey £7546.97 HELP

ehealey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6306 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi There,

Can anyone help? Back in July 2004 my husband and I were selling our property as we were moving to New Zealand with my husbands job:-

This is part of our complaint letter.

During correspondence by mail and a telephone conversation today, Mr Marshall has confirmed to my wife that the ‘product-related charge’ for early redemption of our mortgage is ₤7,546.97, plus a redemption fee of £99.00. This means that we are being asked for a total of £214,068.68 to redeem a loan of £210,000, after 16 months of paying a monthly amount of £1,185.19. I am afraid that I find this completely unreasonable. As noted above, we have been loyal customers of Abbey and we find ourselves in the position of having to redeem early as a result of unusual circumstances; moreover, this ‘product-related charge’ aside, we would have expected to return to Abbey as mortgage customers in 2009, or earlier, when we return to the UK as house-buyers...

Anyway, we got a letter back from Bill Tarbuck Assistant Mananger 'There is no provision in the contract for a reduction in the penalty based on the length of time the mortgage is held.' They went on to say they do not feel responisble and to the FSO. and that we had 6 months from the date of letter 29th July 2004 to go to the FSO and that they would not talk to us anymore. Anyway, I was totally exhausted with moving to NZ and did not follow it up, is it too late???

Anyway, we paid and left it at that, I have since noted that the FSA have said the banks are changing excessive redeption fees and this is not on. We have called Abbey and stated we want a full refund forthwith. They have logged our complaint! I have been reading the postings with great interest about Abbey and PRC and wonder if we are 1. too late to go to court and 2. has there been any legal president set?

Look forward to any help and advice.

Em

We took out a 4.65% fixed rate on the 2nd November 2003 which would expire on the 2 November 2007. THis was a five year mortgage and we had transferred at a lower rate Negotated with Abbey from 7.95 motgage that was nearly at an end. Yes there was a PRC quoted at 290 days, we only had the morgage until August 2004 as hudband unexpectedly got offered a job in New Zealand. This was the gyst of the letter we send to the chairman:

We have been loyal customers since July 1995, when we bought our first flat together. We stayed with Abbey when, in November 1996, I was appointed to a more senior academic position in Manchester and we bought a larger house in the North-West. We moved to a larger family home in March 2003, taking a third mortgage with Abbey. On this occasion, we took out a 4.5% (4.65% APR) mortgage of ₤210,000, fixed until November 2007.

Last autumn, I was approached by a selection agency and offered a five-year, fixed-term post, to start 1 August 2004. This was an unexpected, but very attractive, job offer at a leading New Zealand university blah blah...

During correspondence by mail and a telephone conversation today, Mr Marshall has confirmed to my wife that the ‘product-related charge’ for early redemption of our mortgage is ₤7,546.97, plus a redemption fee of £99.00. This means that we are being asked for a total of £214,068.68 to redeem a loan of £210,000, after 16 months of paying a monthly amount of £1,185.19. I am afraid that I find this completely unreasonable. As noted above, we have been loyal customers of Abbey and we find ourselves in the position of having to redeem early as a result of unusual circumstances; moreover, this ‘product-related charge’ aside, we would have expected to return to Abbey as mortgage customers in 2009, or earlier, when we return to the UK as house-buyers.

As an economist, I find the ‘produce-related charge’ inexplicable. At the time we took out our current mortgage, the five-year fixed-rate was 4.5%. Since then, base rates have increased steadily and Abbey’s current five-year fixed-rate is 5.74% (6.4% APR), an increase of 1.24%. This implies that, far from losing money on our early redemption, these funds could be reinvested at market rate at considerable profit.

Anyway any ideas of what next to do would be very welcome.