• Tweets

• Hi Guys, well a year on and my friend has just received this in the post today, obviously a little scared so looking for more of your advice.  Letter from the NCC dated 1-May-2024 is as follows.......   Before deputy district judge Haythorne sitting at the national business centre, 4th floor st Kathrine's house Northampton Upon reading an application from the claimant  it is ordered that  1. The claim be sent to the county court at #### (Friends local Court) Because this order has been made without a hearing, the parties have the right to apply to have the order set aside, varied or stayed.  A party making such an application must send or deliver the application to the court (together with any appropriate fee) to arrive within seven days of service of this order.  If the application is one which requires a hearing, and a) the party making the application is the defendant: and b) the defendant is an individual, then upon filing of the application the claim will be transferred to the defendants home court.  In all other cases requiring a hearing the claim will be transferred to the preferred court.    As a result of an order made on the 1 May 2024, this claim has been transferred to the county court at ##### (friends local court) 
    • I am heading over to hers tomorrow so I will find out.  Will there be something written in the agreement or does it depend on the agreement its self ? Just so I know what to look for, so I can provide as much information as possible on here. 
    • The answer to this is going to depend on what the agreement your friend signed says. Or contact the housing provider and ask them.  
    • Thank you all for the responses, to answers a few questions  - she has had the car since Jan 23 on a 5 year term.  - She is unsure what the agreement is called, but at the end she has the option to make a payment to "buy" the car - she recieves benefits for her young children alongside the ssp (normally she would be on NLW for a 16 hr a week job)  - Yes she would like to keep the car  She has not responded to the last email from them asking her to call and it'll be followed up in an email. I told her to hold off until atleast Wednesday so I can read a few posts on here and get some more information.  I will ensure she follows up with a letter, that has not been signed but instead her name written.   Thank you  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

smesin v Nationwide

smesin
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6211 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Smesin

Been reading your thread. I am on the same timeline as you LBA sent. Will be submitting claim on 20th Feb If they don't settle before LOL. Are you using MCOL or form N1? I have to use form N1 because MCOL don't accept my Visa Electron. Anyway best of luck to you I will be checking your thread to see how you are getting along.

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Have I been of any help to you? if so please click my scales to the left to enhance my reputation. Thank you. If not PM me.

Nationwide - won claim 

Advice & opinions of mahharg are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Smesin

Thanks for a copy of your claim particulars. I have now sorted it already printed up and ready to go. Its good to be ahead of the game I will be looking more into the AQ now (be prepared) although I hope we won't need it. BTW if we wanted our claim to be issued on the 20th Feb would we be better off if we hand our N1 in on the 19th, or earlier if like my county court they have a large backlog?.

It's also a bit weired that our claims are running alongside eachother and I too also gave up smoking about 8 days ago... I guess this keeps our fingers busy and sueing a national building society can motivate you to do anything!!!

Yes Is a bit strange, also we joined the cag same time. hopefully we will get the money from the lovely people at Nationwide at the same time.

best of luck

mahharg

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Have I been of any help to you? if so please click my scales to the left to enhance my reputation. Thank you. If not PM me.

Nationwide - won claim 

Advice & opinions of mahharg are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

• 2 weeks later...

hi smesin

I too filed my claim at county court on 21st - however mine cost £80 and I was told it won't be issued for about 10 days:x so reckon you will get your money before me lets:-( see.

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Nationwide - won claim 

The Financial Services Authority allows us 8 weeks to investigate before you have the right to ask the Financial Ombudsman to review your case. This ends on (XXX date). If for any reason we can't send a full response by then, we'll write and explain why.

Meanwhile, if you need to contact us, you can do so on the above address or telephone number."

So are you saying that I can just ignore this letter and start the court claim now? The 8 weeks thing is really putting me off. Will it count against me if I file the papers before the 8 weeks are up?:confused::confused:

Hi

Yes just ignore this letter:

1: You gave them 28 days which is more than sufficient. Stick to your timetable.

2: You are not complaining as the letter states you are simply asking for YOUR money back.

3: The bank have already said your not getting your money back in the first response.

This is just another stalling tactic.

The same letter was posted to me the day after I submitted my court claim so I had no choice - didn't really need a choice though.

• Haha 1

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Nationwide - won claim 

these should help you complete the AQ, New Strategy really a must now:

Hi smesin

Dunno if you have seen the new AQ thread link in post 37 it is really good.

Basically you are asking the judge to order disclosure of how charges are reached from the bank as well as all the defence that will be used within 28 days of order from judge. At the same time you are offering to submit court bundle 14 days from the date of order. This is instead of all parties submitting all their papers upto 14 days before actual court day. This is a really good idea for those banks that love stalling to the limit tactics eg asking for stays and not settling untill the very last day before court date (these days could be months away). My personal opinion is that Nationwide do not fall into the category of "stalling to the limit" so I am thinking If I have to fill out an AQ I might be using the original AQ thus saving time and money getting court bundle together which I can't recall any Nationwide claim getting as far as this. what would you think and what would you do.

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Nationwide - won claim 

It seems that NW are waiting for the next FSA/Ombudsman report to come out within the next month, and that is why they are delaying. They probably hope that a ruling will be made that only the difference between what NW charged and the actual cost (possibly to be set at £12) should be refunded.

So the answer is - get your claims in NOW !

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't this £12 limit already apply to credit cards yet they are still paying out claims why - Is it because that the £12 figure decided FSA/Ombudsman is still too high. If it costs the banks less than they charge to cancel a direct debit etc it is still unlawful regardless what the FSA/Ombudsman state the only way to reach a correct figure is for the banks to disclose what it costs them:rolleyes:. Until then I think the claims will go on.

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Nationwide - won claim 

Hello Smesin good to see you back on your own thread.

Correct Mahharg.... And in regard to the allocation questionnaire, I am not sure of which path to go down (old strat or new)? What you said makes sense as I could do without the hassle of putting together a court bundle to be honest...

Because both AQ are ok in their own right suppose you need to ask your self a few questions

1) Will the bank use their stalling tactics to delay paying out.

A) At the moment not Nationwide (compared to others). They could change though.

2) Am I prepared to wait for my money (interest will be increasing everyday) should they apply these tactics.

A) If yes then go for the original AQ. You will get your money.

If no then go for the new AQ if you don't mind getting your court bundle together.

does this help make your mind up!

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Nationwide - won claim 

I filed our claim on the 28th feb and havent heard a dicky bird as yet. I wait with anticipation. :rolleyes:

Kwaker I sent mine on 21st I was told by my county court that it wouldn't be issued for around 10 days. I phoned court on 1st March (premature I know) and was told it had been issued on 28th Feb and notice sent to me same day. Still waiting for post to arrive (good old royal mail). I think you have to wait a little longer or contact your local court and ask how long it should take before issue they should have an idea.

P.S. Hows the No Smoking going?

7 weeks and 3 days now and I have been to the local a couple of times. Found it easy with a drink(strange) just drink faster Hic!. I have had my tough moments but got over them. I am now going through days without even thinking about them :D As you can see my teeth are whiter as wel:lol:.

how about you then Smesin still off the fags.

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Nationwide - won claim 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all & Smesin

Just got my ackowledgement sent today stating Nationwide (Mr Bacon) intend to defend in full I am presuming by reading other posts that this is another one of their letters before they submit their defence as "paid in full". Still they now have until 2nd April to submit defence so I better get up to speed on the AQ just in case.

from hannah8686

She then explained that every time they get a customer take them to court, they acknowledge then the details basically take a while to be added onto a sprreadsheet by there administration dept. After that they become part of a 'refund' Queue.

Well that is heart warming to know thanks hannah

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Nationwide - won claim 

Hey smesin

Congratulations. When you are sure that you have everything you claimed give the court a ring or pop in there they will tell you what to do next. Apparently it is a simple process (said the lady in the court who happens to be claiming against her bank). I am right behind you and hope I will get mine soon. By the way how is the smoking going. once again congratulations

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Nationwide - won claim