Alliance and Leicester charged me £50.09p

rob123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6312 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have banked with National Giro (A&L) for more than 30 years and do not recall ever going overdrawn. I exist on a very small disability pension only and do not claim any social security. I manage somehow to keep to my £205 per month budget. Last month an unexpected debit made me go £13 overdrawn on my current account. The A&L levied bank charges of £50 plus 9 pence interest (my total weekly income). As you can imagine I had a very restricted and cold Christmas.

I complained to my bank that these charges were excessive and punitve and asked for them to be refunded. Today they refunded £25, but are insiting they will not refund all their charges. Would it be worth writing to the bank asking them to reconsider the matter as I do not think I can afford to make a claim through the courts due to my low income.

Robert

Phone them back and insist on repayment, but also open a new bank account.

I think the court would waive the charges in your circumstances- talk to the clerk at your local county court.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

A&L: Settled - £6,200

HFC: Settled - £800

Shell Visa: Settled - £250

Egg: Settled - £700

Mint: Settled - £1200

RBS: Settled - £850

The opionions in this post are guaranteed to conform to the laws of physics, but pretty much nothing else...

Rob

forget trying to reason with them (just read the posts to see what compassion they have) IE: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester/48041-my-wife-l.html#post457694

If you know how much they have taken in charges send them a preliminary letter from templates library requesting refund.

If they dont respond 'positively', follow proceedure, ie: LBA

It is unlikely that they will be sympathetic to your situation, responding only to court action.

Guest NATTIE

Rob I understand your sentiment but I think a little word in their ears should sort it out. Welcome to the CAG and Good Luck

Rob

forget trying to reason with them (just read the posts to see what compassion they have) IE: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester/48041-my-wife-l.html#post457694

If you know how much they have taken in charges send them a preliminary letter from templates library requesting refund.

It is unlikely that they will be sympathetic to your situation, responding only to court action.

Thank you Tony for the advice. Today I have written to the A&L using the standard letter requesting my money back. I will keep my fingers crossed they will refund me.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Following my letter to the A&L asking for the charges they levied on my account to be refunded, today they sent me a letter stating they have reconsidered my situation and agreed to refund 25 pence of the remaining £25 charge (originally £50.09p).

On checking my current account I noticed they have refunded me £25 leaving only a 9 pence interest charge for my unforseen overdraught.

Many thanks to the CAG and all the people who kindly offered advice and support. I will be making a donatation to the CAG in gratitude.

Best wishes and good luck to all who have been ripped off by these banks

Robert

Rob

Hello,

good luck with your claim against the A&L. I have had my bank charges refunded I hope your wife has hers too.

Robert