• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Winderbray/JCF PM/PCB Lawers Claimform - Service charge arrears - Refused Payment Plan - Now N244 for SJ+Strike Out.

Just out of interest, did you continue to pay your normal Service Charge and Ground Rent (if not peppercorn) obligations during this?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

To confirm, the arrears aren't just the Additional Levy, but also regular Service Charge arrears?

Was it one piece of work that caused the additional levy, or multiple? Did they go through the proper Section 20 consultation process for these?

Did you try to agree a regular payment plan that covered *at least* the most recent Service Charge period?

The good thing here is that as it seems the managing agent has continued to accept your payments, they clearly don't deem you as in breach of lease. Which means that can't apply for a S146 order (normally the next step after a CCJ) for repossession of the property.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Absolutely yes, the Solicitors should have sent the LBA by post. That's part of CPR rules.

Even it you accepted service by email, it should have been made clear beyond reasonable doubt that it was a Letter Before Action.

However, it's unlikely you'll get the claim thrown out for that.

I would recommend stopping payments now so that it doesn't disrupt your position in court as to whether the money is owed.

I would argue that while normally we wouldn't need to see the statements as part of the CPR 31.14 request you'll be making as part of your defence, we most likely would here as we'd need to see how the arrears are made up.

Ideally, we'd need a timescale of when the Section 20 process started, when the additional levy was demanded and when the works were completed.

Do you have a mortgage on the property?

Ah, the mortgage explains why they're trying their luck in court.

I imagine the Freeholder's final move (remember, it's them suing you not the managing agent) is to apply for the Mortgage company to pay the arrears as part of the S146 process. It pretty much guarantees them their money.

Mortgage companies do this because they don't want to lose their security on their loan with you. This will get added to your mortgage but do be aware that some mortgage companies may look to start repossession proceedings of their own if they have to do this. If this happens, come back and we'll help you stop that as well.

For now though, we'll fight this. Hopefully you kept all the correspondence as it's important that funds are used correctly in Service Charges. It would be interesting to see if any shortfalls/surpluses were added to your Service Charge account throughout the years.

FWIW It's going to be difficult to argue the Service Charge isn't due and payable because I imagine it states that they are explicitly in your lease. A lot of people assume this means there's no defence though.  We're going to have to go at the angle that the Service Charge demanded wasn't reasonable and the fact that you've tried to engage in good faith to clear the arrears and they haven't accepted it. We can't formulate a defence until we see the documents though!

For now though, can you complete the template listed in this thread?

Edited by lolerz
missed out some

Interesting that they've waited 5 years to try and claim as much interest as possible!

If you feel like you've been ripped off you'd have to argue that through a First Tier Tribunal.

Obviously, that doesn't help now that it's going through the county court for non-payment.

A copy of an up to date statement of account to see how the extra charges were raised would be great.

It'd also be great to know how much you were paying per month and how much your annual Service Charge is normally to ensure what you were paying covered your normal Service Charge :)

• Like 1

Absolutely, yes.

You'll likely also get one as part of your CPR 31.14 request you'll send off as part of your defence :)

• lolerz changed the title to Winderbray/PCB Lawers Claimform - Service charge arrears - Refused Payment Plan

Thread title updated.

• Like 1

Thank you for this. Give me an hour or so for me to have a look.

Meanwhile, what did you propose as your normal payment plan?

Looking at it I can understand why £200/month wasn't accepted as it's not enough to cover the most recent service charge period. Just for that you'd need to be paying roughly £250/month.

No reason for them not to accept £400/month though, especially if you were also going to make supplemental payments. That's going to be our argument as realistically that's all they're going to get from any court action anyway.

Finally, do you still have the emails from the solicitors before they issued the claim form? It'll be useful to see because I reckon we'll be able to argue our way out of the interest/legal fees they're claiming as they didn't follow the Pre-Action Protocol.

Make sure you keep EVERYTHING from now on!

Any update on this and uploading those documents?

Just time-conscious that you haven't yet filed an acknowledgment of service yet (Which needs to be done by Thursday at the latest!) else you'll get a judgement in default. Really important we stick to those dates

pop up on the MCOL website detailed on the claimform

.register as an individual on the Gov't Gateway Site
Go to HMRC's login page.

Click the GREEN sign in button.
Click “Create sign in details”
Enter your email address where asked.
You will now be emailed a confirmation code. ...

You will now be issued with a User ID for your government gateway account.
 note down your details inc the long gateway number given, you might need it later.

then log in to the MCOL Website

.Select Respond to a claim and select the start AOS box.

.then using the details required from the claimform

.defend all

leave jurisdiction unticked.

click through to the end

confirm and exit MCOL.

.get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors

Remove any mention of a default/termination notice in your CPR 31.14 request as not relevant here. 

type your name ONLY

no need to sign anything.

you DO NOT await the return of paperwork.

you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.

• Like 1

A copy of the bills. A copy of the yearly budgets, any letters regarding arrears you’ve had etc. Already have a statement so not worried there.

Especially important is a copy of any Section 20 notices for the works. Seeing these would be great as well.

A copy of at least the bit of the lease where it goes on about service charges etc would be handy as well to see if there’s anything about a reserve fund being collected and what proportion you are meant to pay (see if this adds up with what they’re demanding)

theres nothing really to gain by waiting to submit the acknowledgement of service at this point so get on MCOL on Monday morning and complete the above steps.

Duplicate posts hidden.

Oddly, they felt the need to transfer £30k from the Service Charge to the Reserve fund and then plead poverty with a £7.5k deficit...

With that arrears letter, Were any demands for admin/legal costs accompanied by Summary of Rights and Obligations - Admin Charges? Too many MA/FH fail in this area and it makes any admin charges unlawful.

Get that Acknowledgement of Service sent off tomorrow via MCOL.

Now turning our attention to your defense:

When writing your defense, you need to go through their points in order and either admit or deny them. You would be looking to admit that you are the leaseholder but deny the charges. The best way to do this is to number each sentence in their particulars of claim and write a statement accepting or denying it 

Our standard holding/no paperwork defense will be a good basis for this but will need tweaking based on the points above. Plenty of claim form threads will have it posted so get reading up over the next few days (5-10 a day) and have a go at drafting up a defense. 

Their Particulars of Claim is so vague it could be for literally anything. Their entire point is that there are unpaid service charges pursuant to the lease and that they want interest. Normally for these types of claims, they'll mention in what clause of the lease are they demanding the service charges and they haven't done that. It's such a laughably weak Particulars of Claim for something like this that it reads that they've just done it at 4:55 pm before going home. Like they never bothered to read the lease, just know one exists (but have no idea whether it's enforceable)

I'd be looking to put them to strict proof on what basis the Service Charge is due and payable, how the arrears are made up, and what attempts at communication were made before the court claim.

They don't need to know that you hold a copy of your lease, it's whether they do and are willing to use it.

Include this line as one your first points:

The claimant has not complied with paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action protocol) and failed to serve a letter of claim pre-claim pursuant to PAPDC changes of the 1st October 2017. It Is respectfully requested that the court take this into consideration pursuant to 7.1 PAPDC. 

Post up your defense here FIRST so that it can be reviewed and tweaked for submission!

Yes 18th March :)

In regards to PAPLOC. Paragraph 3.3 of the Pre-Action Protocol states that the PAPLOC should be sent by post and that email may also be used. i.e They may send their PAPLOC by email AND post but not just email. It also explicitly mentions that other methods are communication are acceptable if you've made a specific request not to use post (you haven't done this). As such, they're not compliant with the pre-action protocol by sending it to you just by email.

Further to this. Under CPR 6.3 and PD 6A, Service by Email is only accepted should you have explicitly stated that you're willing to accept service by email.

Yes, that is the case.

Your lease states the annual service charge is split equally which means the deficit will be as well.

Each listed defendant should do the same thing individually.

CPR 31.14 should request all documents they plan to use in their case.

I would request:

Invoices (including for their admin charges!), Section 20 Notices, a Statement of Account, a copy of your lease, a copy of the Year End Accounts for 2019 through to 2023, any reminder letters sent.

Lets see what turns up :)

I imagine PCB Legal is handling the day-to-day operations for the freeholder.

Quite a common setup, also common for the freeholder's address to be that of the Managing Agent. (Speaking of which, you never mentioned who this was)

Freehold company has been set up with the sole purpose of holding the freehold title and collecting ground rent.

• lolerz changed the title to Winderbray/JCF PM/PCB Lawers Claimform - Service charge arrears - Refused Payment Plan

My understanding is said contract would be your lease.

No harm in leaving it in imo but let my site team colleagues double check.

leave as is apart from what Andyorch mentioned.

Request the others in a similar manner to how you're requesting the contract

Post up what you've got in the end and we'll double check.

seems fine but let others check also before sending it out