• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

HCEO cant enforce my warrant - what other options do i have?

Hi.  It is pointless arguing over who the best/most aggressive bailiff company are if the debtor is not granting access and there are no assets outside.

You must also bear in mind that you can only enforce against the judgement debtor so unless both are named, the wife’s income/assets are irrelevant.

In your shoes, I would try to locate his car to see where he is storing it. If you can do that, you can contact CES and ask them to have 1 last attempt at the vehicle. You may have to kick up a bit of fuss because companies don’t like cases where they have to work/dedicate time to. You should usually have 3 visits which I’m assuming you haven’t had. This isn’t set in stone but it’s a general rule of thumb.

If this fails, come back and discuss an attachment of earnings order.

With regards charges/fees, companies generally take the compliance fee (£90) up front. I’m not convinced that they should but they do. Anything recovered from the debtor should be divided pro-rata. I would argue that IF they have taken their compliance fee up front, that the little that has been collected should be passed on to you.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Having reviewed the Taking Control of Goods (Fees) Regulations several times, I have seen nothing that prescribes the taking of the compliance fee up front from the debtor. The fact that they all do it does not automatically mean that they are correct in doing so.

My interpretation of the regulations is that ALL stages of enforcement should be split pro-rats from proceeds, including the compliance fee.  Furthermore, if the creditor is not VAT registered, they should not be charged VAT.  Happy to be corrected.

Personally, I would exhaust the bailiff avenue before throwing more money at it by way of applying for an attachment. If you can locate the vehicle, you have a good chance with enforcement.

One tip - Debtors often change ownership of vehicles on paper by registering a different name on the V5 document.  It’s worth noting that for the purposes of enforcement, vehicles become bound from when the writ is issued. In essence, this means change of ownership may not take place.

If you locate a vehicle, you can go online and pay to see when the last change of registered keeper took place. It only costs a small amount.  You won’t be given details (names etc) but you’ll be able to see when the registered keeper was last changed.

If it was after the date the writ was issued, inform CES of this and request they obtain proof of ownership for the relevant time - At the time the writ was issued.

Hi. In fairness to CES, if the vehicle is not on the debtor’s drive, it would be difficult for their agent to ascertain whether or not the debtor actually owns a vehicle.

Regarding the fees, are you saying the following:

1. You have received around £135 from the £450 collected thus far?
2. You have paid VAT on the fees?

CES appear to have charged (in fees) £75 for the compliance stage, £190 for the first enforcement stage and a small amount (7.5%) of £95.75 which is the amount they may recover on anything over the first £1000. VAT would have been added to these figures.

You should not have been charged VAT unless you are VAT registered. The debtor would be liable for any VAT payments.

On collecting part payment from the debtor, CES were entitled to take their compliance fee in full first. Following on from that, any other monies recovered should have been paid pro-rata. As your outstanding balance is around 5 times greater than that of CES, it would seem reasonable to split payments at a ratio of 5:1.

It would be worth asking CES if they have made an enforcement stage 2 visit.

The command on a writ is to take control of the debtor’s goods and sell them.

Attempts have been made to do so and goods cannot be controlled legally.  It is not possible to complain on those grounds.

Adding an ES2 would only mean that more monies recovered would have to be divided pro rata, leaving the creditor with less money.