• Tweets

• Firstly, I would like to thank everyone for their help in this matter. Since my last post I have received a reply from Plymouth Council Insurance Team concerning my wife’s accident (please see enclosed letter and photo of the offending Badminton post) which they deny any responsibility for the said accident. I feel that the Council is in breach of their statutory duties under the following acts: The Leisure Centre was negligent in its duty of care and therefore, in breach of the statutory duty owed under section 2 of the Occupiers’ Liability Act 1957. Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 (the Act) to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all their employees, and others who might be affected by its undertaking, e.g. members of the public visiting the Leisure Centre to use the facilities. The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 that requires employers to assess risks (including slip and trip risks) and, where necessary, take action to address them. The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER) require the risk to people’s health and safety from equipment that is used at a Leisure Centre be prevented or controlled. I would like some advice to see if my assumptions are correct and my approach to obtaining satisfactory outcome to this matter are accurate. Many thanks   PLM23000150 - Copy Correspondence.pdf post docx.docx
    • Talking to them does not reset the time limit, although they will probably tell you it does, they'd be lying. Dumbdales are the in-house sols for Lowlife, just the next desk along. If Lowlifes were corresponding with you at your current address then Dumbdales know your address. However, knowing that they are lower than a snake's belly, you would be well advised to send them a letter, informing them of your current address and nothing else. Get 'proof of posting' which is free from the PO counter, don't sign it, simply type your name. That way then they have absolutely no excuse for attempting a back door CCJ.   P.S. Best course of action, IGNORE them, until or unless you get a claim form......you won't.
    • A 'signed for' Letter of Claim has been sent today so they have 14 days from tomorrow... Lets wait and see what happens but i suspect judging by their attitude they wont reply 
    • I am extremely apprehensive about burning our files.... I do not know why, so it is becoming an endless feedback loop. Scared to pull the trigger to speak in the desire not to mess up my file. 
    • Hi All, So brief outline. I have Natwest CC debt £8k last payment i made was 7th November 2018 Not a penny since. So coming up to the 6 year mark. Can't remember when i took out the  credit card would be a few years before everythign hit the fan. Moved house 2020 - updated NatWest as I still have a current account with them. Then Lowells took over from Moorcroft and were writing to me at my current address. I did get a family member to speak to them 3 years ago regarding the debt explained although it may be in my name I didn't rack it up then went contact again. 29th may received an email from overdales saying they were now managing the debt. I have not had any letter yet which i thought is odd?  Couple of questions 1. Does my family member speaking to lowell restart statute barred clock? 2. Do you think overdales aren't writing to me because they will back door CCJ to old address even though Lowells have contacted me at current address never at previous? ( have no proof though stupidly binned all letters  ) Should I write to them and confirm my address just incase? Does this restart statute barred clock? 3. what do you think best course of action is?   Any help/advice is appreciated I am aware they may ramp up the process now due to 7th December being the 6 year mark.   Many Thanks in advance! The threads on here have been super helpful to read.  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RedDeath v LloydsTSB

RedDeath
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6246 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good luck reddeath!

In the meantime it is my understandment that a scottish small claims court would only go up to £750. So now thinking of claiming in england, but even then the figure is 5k. I feel more than one claim coming on. Also as its an english court i can claim 6 years back. Hopefully this will settle out of court so i won't have to make my journey south.

You should'nt just split up a claim just so as to keep under the small claims threshold - it is considered abusive and the bank would more than likely apply to get them amalgamated anyway. 1 contract (account) = 1 claim.

Although the fast track contains a very, very small costs risk, its nothing to fear. In fact it does have distinct advantages - such as the availibility of standard disclosure.

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not 100% sure on Scottish proceedure or how it differs from that of the English system. There is a 'Scotland' forum within 'General' if you need some advice specific to Scottish proceedure.

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

• 2 weeks later...

The interest rates going back at least 4 years should be published on the LTSB web site.

By all means go for contractual, but be sure you fully understand the issues first. Also, be prepared for a scrap - they don't pay it without a fight.

• 2 months later...

Its a very good letter - however, I can pretty much guarantee that they won't read it properly, and even if they do they will not respond. I suppose it will demonstrate to the court that you have given them every opportunity to settle and have tried your best to avoid litigation - which is good - but unfortunately that is the only beneficial effect it will have.

Also, I would not personally advise that you take a contractual interest claim into the fast track with costs exposure. Its undeniably risky. However, I trust you are fully aware of the risks and have already carefully considered them.

• 2 weeks later...

I was'nt going to get involved in the CI debate again, but there are some issues here which I find quite disturbing so I'm going put my 2p's worth in.

I understand that I am liable to cover their costs, should I lose. However the amount of money that I stand to win would literally change my life. I would be able to clear all of my debts, re-establish my credit rating (i am disputing some defaults as I type) but most importantly it would also give me the money to put down a deposit on a house. What I stand to win is the chance of a better life, with no more sub-prime credit lenders and so on, and for it I am willing to fight to the death. However, you are very right in saying that I need to consider the possibility of the case being struck out, and for it all I can do is read as much as i can and put forward the best particulars of claim that I could possibly come up with. Regardless of other people's advice, it is my money on the line.

Assuming that I do all of my research and fill out my claim properly, then it is fair to say that the bank will not disclose their true costs with regards to the charges. So claiming those back is a relatively straight forward process.

Now I agreed with my bank in my contract/terms and conditions that I would cover their costs incurred by any bad money management on my behalf. However, at no point did I agree that they could charge me more for it, as that would have been unlawful. In claiming the charges, the banks have abused their position as my fiduciary as they took more money from me than I ever allowed for them to take. Let's not forget that the bank is in a very priviledged position and can take money out of people's accounts as they please (as honory's situation in the LTSB thread clearly exemplifies).

There is a principle of mutuality in the agreement so what is fair for them should also be fair for me. Now the banks have given me the tools to go over my authorised credit limit (cheque guarantee cards and so on), and when i did go over those limits they charged me 29.8% interest as I had not agreed to borrow money from them. So far so good.

Now, in the instances that the banks took money from me through the charges they were guilty of the same process that I was when I went over my overdraft limit. They charged me 29.8& on that debt and as such it is only fair that I can charge them just as much for it.

So why not? Ok, sorry if this is sounding like a rant, it is not meant that way, I am trying to convince myself while at the same time raising some issues.

They could argue that a contract does not exist, merely terms and conditions, but then my counter arguement is why include a signature space on the documents? In all effect the terms and conditions are the contract.

If I plead my case properly and explain about reciprocity and mutuality then on what grounds could it be struck out? What is it about my claim that is so wrong?

My arguement is simple. Prove that those charges are a legittimate estimate of your costs, if not then pay me back my money, and the interest on it, not just at statuatory rate but at the same rate that I have paid them for the same unauthorised borrowing.

As for damages, yes this is a very tricky situation and one that I am considering carefully. I appreciate I am treading water with the compound interest rate so this may not be the viable as it may alienate the courts and deminish what I think is a well constructed case.

I do feel however that I have a case for damages. If you look at the fact that some months those charges amounted to 30% of my wages, then it has forced me to borrow money from sub-prime lenders as if they had behaved lawfully throught out, then I would only have paid the true cost of those charges, it would have left me with more money and I would not have had to resort to sub-prime lenders. Could I possibly claim back charges and then should I win, claim back damages at a different date or rather the claim would be deemed as settled and that would be it?

Lastly, stauatory interest. Is this an interest based on an oustanding debt with them. I.e they owe me 12k so far (assuming contractual interest), would I not be asking for interest on the debt? I'll research this fully however it is not at the top of my priority list, but if it meant i had a chance then well, why not?

Ok, I feel better now that i got all that off my chest. I really do wish I had a crystal ball to see what I should do.

Any comments by anyone I would be really grateful, as I will consider every option there is in order to create a better case.

Thanks again to all those who offer advice.

Firstly, I can fully understand that you're passionate that you should be entitled to more than just the recovery of the charges for what the bank have done to you, and the consequences - probably not only financially, but also on your life in general - of their unlawful actions.

Unfortunately, such emotional issues do not come into it in a court. The judge is interested only in the law - and how that law applies to the facts of your case.

Now I've heard alot said about contractual mutuality, but unfortunately I've yet to see ANYONE substantiate the talk with any sort of basis in law whatsoever.

There is a principle of mutuality in the agreement so what is fair for them should also be fair for me.

Perhaps it does seem fair - in fact, yes, it does I agree. Unfortunately though, unless there is a legal basis its totally irrelevant. That quote you've pasted from another thread is actually a perfect example of this - the poster of that comment strongly argued that "case law establishing contractual mutuality is clear....blah, blah, blah" but in the next post I asked for a link or reference to the case being refered to - and surprise, surprise it all went deathly quiet!

In fact, while we're on the subject of case law, have a research of this case - Westdeutsche v Islington BC [1996] A.C. 669, [1996] 2 All E.R. 961. This is a clear House of Lords authority against the awarding of compounded interest upon the basis of unjust enrichment.

So all this begs the question - upon what basis are you claiming contractual interest? What authorities or legislation will you rely on in court to substantiate it? Upon what do you base your assersion that contractual reciprocity exists in the context you profess that it does? I know there are some excellent arguements for it, and you seem very well versed in them, but when your in the multi track up against professional solicitors your going to need a hell of a lot more than that I'm afraid.

I'm sure I'll get shot down for this, but frankly I don't care - untill somebody shows me some case law or other such basis in law for contractual mutuality or CI in general, I'll make no apologies whatsoever.

Something else I should say, is don't think for a minute that you'll be able to chuck whatever you like on top of your claim and sneak it in on the back of the fact that they won't defend the charges so they'll pay everything else as well - its not going to happen. They'll more than likely pay the charges + 8% + costs then apply for summary judgement on the grounds that there is no basis for your claim to continue.

I think your taking far too much on without giving proper thought to the consequences. Charges + pre 6 year charges + CI + "damages" + default removal is putting you straight into the multi track almost without doubt, and I'm sure I don't need to tell you the consequenses if you were to lose in the Multi-track. It would certainly change your life alright - it could quite easily mean financial ruin. Adding 8% stat on top of everything else is just plain foolish. Its duplicated benefit - I.e. unjust enrichment, and the court would not tolerate it for one minute.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but it seems to me that your attitute is somewhat Blasé - particularly given your comment on Honory's thread earlier on.

IMHO if you want to pursue more than the charges + stat, choose one or the other - CI or consequential losses. Even then I would strongly advise against a CI claim in anything other than the small claims track. Consequential losses, with the right advise and a great deal of research might be viable, but you would have to directly and unequivically quantify how their unlawful charges caused you direct loss.

• Haha 2

One other thing, have you considered going down the Financial Ombudsman route for consequential loss, and/or distress and inconveniance? It certainly might be worth looking into. Its a damnsight less risky anyway.

I will research this thoroughly, and I have to admit that I am no longer so confident in pursuing this. Could I pursue interest at the authorised borrowing rate (as per Mindzi and Lucid) or scrap it all together and simply go for statutory?

As I said, personally I would not claim contractual interest unless I was confidant the claim would be heard in the small claims track - and I would not advise anyone else to either.

The more I reseach CI the more I doubt its validity. IMHO mutuality and reciprocity is in legal terms a non-starter, unjust enrichment is perfectly logical, but unfortunately there's the small matter of a House of Lords precident against! There are other arguements such as fairness and balance, and disgorgement, etc - all great arguements, but also all untested arguements. It would be a good experimental project - but IMO the fast or multi-track aren't the places to experiment!

Of course, ultimately its your claim and your risk - nobody can tell you what to do. I'm just trying to get you to see the dangers.

Westdeutsche v Islington BC [1996] A.C. 669, [1996] 2 All E.R. 961

Westdeutsche v Islington BC

Is there a fiduciary relationship between a consumer and their bank?

Now there's a question!! You could argue one, sure, but I'm not sure you could prove one.

Just another thought or two...

Undue enrichment seems fair to me and can be argued.

Mutuality seems a non-starter? Why?

But what does contractual mutuality mean? Does it mean that every term in every contract is subject to an implied reciprical term? I'm not a lawyer, but I very much doubt it - and even if it did nobody has ever shown me anything to suggest that this principle is established in either common law or statute.

My understanding is that the meaning of mutuality of contract only identifies the rule that where one party fails to fulfill to a contractual obligation, the other party need not fulfill their correlative obligation either.

Thanks caro, i appreciate the help and the humour. I think mutuality does form the basis of any agreement but I will research even more.

It really does come down to what is fair for them, is fair for us. Consesus ad idem. Both parties have the same rights.

Hence if they can charge 30% for something, then so can I.

Maybe it seems over-simplified, but it is a simplified matter.

It seems to me that if they can charge 30% interest on unauthorised borrowing then they should also pay the same rate for it if the tables are turned. The charges amount to unauthorised borrowing, thus...

Again, I'd go back to what I posted in #80.

I find it inconceivable that contractual mutuality could mean that each term in each contract carries an implied reciprical term. Its not enough IMO.

The bank has a consumer credit licence, overheads and costs, risks, etc, etc. Its providing you a service by providing you with an overdraft from which you may borrow its money. You pay for that service by way of interest on borrowings from it - this forms the fundemental core of its very business. The bank provides you with cards, pin numbers, internet banking, etc and there are all sorts of other costs which are associated with providing your overdraft and borrowing facilities. None which justifies the extortionate Un/A rate, granted, but thats not the point - you signed the contract, theres an express term allowing them to charge it which you agreed to.

Them having unlawfully taken our money, IMO, cannot in any way be considered as comparable to them having an overdraft with us.

Again, as far as I'm concerned the mutuality arguement just isn't valid. Just my opinion though obviously - I'm not a lawyer!

I joined this forum in December, i think I used to have a social life back then but not anymore. I now find it very hard to communicate with people without the use of a keyboard and smiley faces.

Tell me about it!

I am going to unsubscribe from this thread now as I don't feel I'm able to contribute any further. What you are proposing is not only frought with danger, but more importantly its way beyond the realms of this sites capabilities. We are here to help people reclaim bank charges, and cannot condone members taking on complex and ill-conceived actions such as this.

If this is a course of action which you are intent on taking, then I would strongly advise that you seek professional legal advice first.