• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

20 year time limit in scotland - start claiming

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6344 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all,

im just about to start process of reclaiming unlawful bank charges, is there a standard letter which can be sent to request past bank statements and is there a cost to this request ?

RBS account 1: LBA sent 7/7/06 £1285 RBS offer to settle at £1090, accepted 5/8/06damn i wish i hadn't

RBS accounts 2 and 3 and 4: court claim lodged 5/9/06 for £745 + costs NO RESPONSE 26/10. SETTLED AT PROOF HEARING

CAP ONE : court claim lodged 8/9/06 for £160 account creditted with £46: settled in full 14/10/06

BARCLAYCARD: court claim lodged 8/9/06 for £445, Information Commissioners Office complaint made - offered to settle for 160 17/8/06 refused DEFENSE LODGED 26/10 in court 2/11. SETTLED IN FULL

style financial - lba for £106.16, settled in full 20/9

ge money - lba for £73 20/9 repayed £45

RBS account 4 again : LBA sent 9/10/06 £38

ge money 2: lba sent 9/10/06 £174.95 and default removal, 16/10 settled in fullrefused to remove default

RBS account 1 again : Prelim approach sent 26/10/06 £293.17

Hi and welcome to the site.

You need to have a thorough read through the FAQs. There is a step-by-step guide and other important information. Also broswe round the forums to see how other people are getting on with their claims.

If you have any questions that you can't find the answer to feel free to ask.

Good luck!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

RBS and HSBC.

I WOULD ALSO BE INTERESTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS HAD ANY SUCCESS WITH REGARDS FINANCE COMPANIES ?

RBS account 1: LBA sent 7/7/06 £1285 RBS offer to settle at £1090, accepted 5/8/06damn i wish i hadn't

RBS accounts 2 and 3 and 4: court claim lodged 5/9/06 for £745 + costs NO RESPONSE 26/10. SETTLED AT PROOF HEARING

CAP ONE : court claim lodged 8/9/06 for £160 account creditted with £46: settled in full 14/10/06

BARCLAYCARD: court claim lodged 8/9/06 for £445, Information Commissioners Office complaint made - offered to settle for 160 17/8/06 refused DEFENSE LODGED 26/10 in court 2/11. SETTLED IN FULL

ge money 2: lba sent 9/10/06 £174.95 and default removal, 16/10 settled in fullrefused to remove default

how do i go about recouping charges from past accounts, my rbs account number has changed about 5 times in the 18 years i have been with them

When you send the initial DPA request, just request details regarding all accounts you have held. Include any previous addresses.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 3 weeks later...

hi all,

has anuone recently actually got any positive result from RBS ?

RBS account 1; DPA sent 6/6

RBS account 2; DPA SENT 6/6 partial statements recieved 28/6

Look through the litigation settled section and you will find details of cases that have been resolved. Remember though that many cases are settled before court. Here is the link http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/litigation/

Pam.

If anything I've said helps you then please feel free to tip my scales!

i have been looking through the forum and the litigation part but have only found three case, all for less than £400.00.

I am claiming just over £1400.00 and am awaiting correspondance back.

There are examples of large pay outs, search "cobbetts" and read all the threads that come up. There are at least 3 pay outs described ranging between £2K & £4.5K....all of which have been pressured by Cobbetts....

Just focus on the FACT that the Banks are only going through the motions....and are not (yet) serious about stepping into the court room.

.....follow the guides....decide to reclaim ALL your stolen cash....and it will be yours.

• 4 weeks later...

hi all,

update on my progress,

claiming against rbs on 3 seperate accounts

capitol one - on 1 account, will decide on 2nd account later

barclaycard on 1 account

hsbc will be my last later on, need the account in case rbs close all 3

• 3 months later...

hi,

today is the return day for 2 claims i am making,

first against RBS for around £740, they have not responded.

second against Barclaycard for around £450, they have entered a defense.

my questions are

1) do i just fill in form 11 and sent to court ? with regards RBS and can i claim 8% interst from date of claim filed ?

2) how to i proceed with claim against Barclaycard. what evidence do i need to take, due in court next thursday, do i need evidence at this time ?

thanks in advance

mackie68

1. Yes. But...expect them to lodge a minute for recall and have the case brought back to court.

2. If it's the preliminary (first) hearing, nothing much will happen. Take along copies of everything kust in case, but all that will hapeen is that the sheriff will check that everyone's prepared to proceed. You'll get a date for a proof hearing, which will be sometime in December. Expect them to settle before then.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

• 2 weeks later...

i have been givin a date of 21st december for Proof Hearing at Sheriff Court, RBS defence is that part of my claim is TIME BARRED in terms of Prescriptions and Limitations(Scotland) Act 1973 as the charges levied were over 5 years old, i am trying to put together defence that since i only found out that their charges were penalty charges this year and that penalty charges are a breach of contract therefore the 5 year limitation holds no weight and that i have up to 20 years from date of offence to raise a claim.

Any help in preparing for proof hearing would be appriciated.

also should i enter into written dialogue with RBS to try to prevent need to appear at proof hearing or should i just wait for it ?

The twenty year claim limit can be complicated, you can claim 5 years worth of charges in Scotland from the time you "become aware" diligence is the keyword here. Personally I think you should press ahead because the bank knows they will probably lose and for the sake of a sum of money that is a drop in the ocean to them, the "Losing" is potentially more damaging from a reputation point of view than writing off a comparitive "meagre" sum of money.

They`ll hold onto your cash as long as they possibly can but they don't want to go to court.

If you enter into a dialogue with the bank at this stage, they will know you are doing it because you are unsure of what the outcome is going to be. Be persistent and hold your ground.

Not as much help for you when you're in Scotland eh? I've found the CAG help and advice invaluable but there is not so much SURE FIRE INFO when it comes to Scots law. Good luck.

TOGETHER WE WILL HAVE OUR GLORY DAY.

ive just recieved the RBS defence which they have lodged.

it is as follows

Admitted that the Pursuer(me) held bank accounts with the Defenders since on or before January 2000 with account numbers *******,******* and *******. Admitted that the Defenders deducted from these account amounts of money in respect of "charges as notified" (levied if a cheque or direct debit payment was returned unpaid because specified overdraft limit has been exceeded). Quoad ultra denied except in so far as coinciding herewith. Explained and averred that the charges levied against Pursuer were applied in accordance with the terms and conditions of the banking contract between the parties and represent a genuine estimate of the loss suffered by the Defenders as a result of the Pursuers failure to adhere to the terms of the contract by repeatedly failing to ensure that sufficient funds were in his account to meet withdrawals. Esto, these charges are legally unenforceable (which is denied) the Pursuer's right to claim reimbursement of charges applied between 17 May 2000 and 20 July 2000 has prescribed. The Defenders have extrajudicially, and without admission of liability, made payment to the Pursuer in respect of his claim for charges applied to his account since 20 July 2000, together with payment of the Pursuer's fee for lodging the small claims Summons in the present action.

am i right in thinking that they

1) deny their charges are unlawful as they are an estimate of their loss

2) say that part of my claim is time barred

3) say they have already paid me a sum of money (which they have not )

ive just recieved the RBS defence which they have lodged.

it is as follows

Admitted that the Pursuer(me) held bank accounts with the Defenders since on or before January 2000 with account numbers *******,******* and *******. Admitted that the Defenders deducted from these account amounts of money in respect of "charges as notified" (levied if a cheque or direct debit payment was returned unpaid because specified overdraft limit has been exceeded). Quoad ultra denied except in so far as coinciding herewith. Explained and averred that the charges levied against Pursuer were applied in accordance with the terms and conditions of the banking contract between the parties and represent a genuine estimate of the loss suffered by the Defenders as a result of the Pursuers failure to adhere to the terms of the contract by repeatedly failing to ensure that sufficient funds were in his account to meet withdrawals. Esto, these charges are legally unenforceable (which is denied) the Pursuer's right to claim reimbursement of charges applied between 17 May 2000 and 20 July 2000 has prescribed. The Defenders have extrajudicially, and without admission of liability, made payment to the Pursuer in respect of his claim for charges applied to his account since 20 July 2000, together with payment of the Pursuer's fee for lodging the small claims Summons in the present action.

am i right in thinking that they

1) deny their charges are unlawful as they are an estimate of their loss

2) say that part of my claim is time barred

3) say they have already paid me a sum of money (which they have not )

Welcome to the site.

This is rather confusing ????

Yes they are arguing that they dont owe you anything as the terms and conditions were breached.

I understand them arguing the limitations part but they say they already settled ?

Is this a second claim ?

Have they made ANY refunds ?

If not looks like they dropped a clanger.

If that is the case I would be looking to have the defence struck out and Judgement awarded on the basis that the defence does not stand up.

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

martin3030,

do you know what is meant by "extrajudicially"

martin3030,

sorry forgot to add

this is first claim, no they have not made any refund into my account,

and i am trying to counter their argument about limitations due to no prior knowledge of unlawful penalty charges, and how to i get defence thrown out at this point, we have already been to court and not due now till proof hearing on 21st of dec

That sounds to me like what they are saying is that they have paid you what you asked for from 20 July 2000, but are saying that your chance to claim back charges that date back further than that has passed due to time restrictions. I think they are saying that although they do not admit liability and do not admit that they are oblidged to pay the charges back, they have made arrangements to pay you back anyway. They maybe haven't actually paid you yet, but they obviously are going to. What that entire statement says in simple terms is as follows...

The charges that date before 20 July 2000 are outwith the time limit for you to claim back, but although they do not admit to breaking the law in making the charges, they have paid you back the charges and cost of lodging your small claim. They maybe haven't actually given you the money yet, but if you get on to the bank, i would say it sounds like you have won. Well done.

Please have a read of the RBS forum I claimed against Natwest (owned by RBS) and they send tripe like this as part of their defence and it is all rubbish you carry on as normal.

However you need to make sure you have submitted your claim correctly and properly particularised your claim too. What did you put in your POC? They tried this with me too, said i was time barred etc... even been telling some people they simply don't know what account or what charges they are on about even though they have explained it fully.

They're trying it on! lol!

Ex CAG helper ^_^

• 1 month later...

all,

i have just came back from my proof reading, rbs settled after my opening argument.

my claim was for charges more than 5 years ago and my case was that the law in scotland allowed me, where there had been a breach of contract to claim further than the 5 year limitation.

i would advise anyone to try for more than the 5 years as my case shows that they will settle eventually.