• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Smart ANPR PCN - Overstay - Forged Evidence on PCN? - ***Won at POPLA***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 839 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My understanding is that you attracted a PCN and you appealed against it to POPLA and you won.

Well done – that's the end of that story.

Far more interesting is the means by which Smart Parking attempted to apply a PCN to you – apparently by some forged evidence.

I wonder if we could concentrate on that because the rest of the issues which are being raised in this discussion seem generally to me to be no longer relevant as you have won the case.

However, the forgery is interesting because we can have either the basis for action in misrepresentation – or else for unlawful data processing contrary to the data protection act.

If these ideas interest you, then maybe we can start looking at it and it would be helpful if you could begin by uploading a very clear copy of the evidence which you say was forged.

Also, can you tell us did POPLA actually accept that it was forged. Did they comment on it? Did they make any condemnation or criticism of Smart Parking?

Thanks for the photographs – but I'm afraid that I don't really understand quite what you are saying here.

On the matter of POPLA, according to their analysis, you didn't even make any allegation of forged evidence in your appeal. Why is that?

I'm struggling to see where the tampering with the images has occurred in the way that you describe. Please could you help me with this.

If it is correct that they have tampered with the images then I would say that there could be the basis of a claim for quite an interesting amount of money – either because of distress caused by unlawful data-processing or else in the way of exemplary damages awarded for the tort of deceit.

However, before we push this further, I'd like to understand it properly and also to be convinced.

• I agree 1

I've been receiving some private messages from the OP including unredacted images.

I can now see that there is evidence of a possibility of some tampering. On a view of the registration number there would seem to be a misalignment of the first part of the registration with the second part of the registration – but it is very subtle.

Also, seeing that the image of the front of the car is partly obscured by people crossing the road, it certainly difficult to understand how they managed to obtain that clear image of the registration plate and of course this suggestion is that they cobbled the image together using part of the front image and part of the back image – and the joining of the two has resulted in the misalignment.

However it is extremely subtle and because the resolution of the images is very poor and also black-and-white from Smart Parking's own system, it's difficult to say with absolute certainty that there has been some skulduggery.

I'm not sure whether the issue of forgery was put before POPLA but anyway, it doesn't seem as if they have considered it and so they've made no comment.

I think it's going to be very difficult to move forward on this and it would require a level of forensic analysis which would probably cost too much money and with an uncertain outcome.
If there was sufficient evidence of image manipulation which would convince a judge, then I can imagine that damages could go to about £2000 or so and even more importantly serious complaints can be made to the information Commissioner, the DVLA and also the controlling body of this private parking company.
I certainly think that I would send Smart Parking an SAR in order to find out what they got. Of course you may not be able to trust the disclosure which was eventually made – but you never know.

I expect the cost of forensic analysis would cost several hundreds of pounds.

I'm afraid that without finding some nugget in a statutory disclosure or without having a very compelling report from a forensic analyst, I think that it may not be worth pursuing.

• Thanks 1

The burden of proof is with you – and the standard of proof required would be very high – even in a civil case for damages. A judge would be very chary about handing our decision that there had been fraudulent behaviour and would require a very high level of proof.
From what I've seen, I don't think that the evidence on its own will satisfy a judge even though it might raise suspicions and I think that you would need an expert report which had examined the evidence you have and confirmed that there appeared to be fraudulent activity.

As far as contacting the police is concerned – don't bother. They won't take the slightest bit of interest. They certainly won't divert resources to carry out any kind of investigation. You could only have confidence that they would take your complaint seriously if you happen to be closely related to the local police Commissioner or the local chief inspector.

As I've said, submit an SAR and see what happens – but don't hold your breath.

If you want to bring a claim on what you've got then we will help you – but I don't expect it will get very far and it would simply be a waste of money.

If you can provide evidence to show that there has been a forgery then I would say that it would result in some interesting damages for you – and yes I think it would be serious for them.

Whether or not it is worth pursuing is a matter for your own judgement.

The comments you have received from the local parking operator are extremely interesting – and if you could get those as a written commentary on the images that you have, then this would be very helpful evidence.

I think you're going to have to wait until you receive the data disclosure

Who said they are independent? We have a very strong impression here that they are the lapdog of the BPA

• 4 weeks later...

Of course it is a delaying tactic.

Also, you are clearly the person that they are threatening with action and they are happy to send those kinds of letters to you and have no difficulty with your identity.

To hurry things along I suggest that you give them what they want but I suggest also that you accompany it with a letter telling them that you realise that they are simply dragging their feet and being obstructive because they are happy to send you threatening letters and even threatened to issue a court claim that your address in your name.

Tell them that if there's any mucking around or any delay that you will begin an action against them on the expiry of day 31.

• 5 weeks later...

I do think it's going to be very tough. I have flagged it up to the site team to have a look