Vincethod's Mate vs FD

vincethod
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6316 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

Energised by my success with Barclays, I'm now helping out a friend with First Direct. He has his statements, and has sent preliminary letter (not the one on here, but never mind) - I've come in at the LBA stage, and I have a few queries:

1) Has anyone tried (and succeeded) with a claim including contractual interest? If so, at what rate?

2) I've totalled all entries for "Overdraft Fee" and "Excess Overdraft Fee" - Is that right?

3) What is the general vibe about the stage FD pay out?

4) Do they have a reputation for closing down accounts?

I'll spend some time reading around, but I'd appreciate any input you can add here.

Thanks in advance

Vince

"Well, as through this world I've rambled

I've seen lots of funny men.

Some will rob you with a six-gun

And some with a fountain pen."

Pretty Boy Floyd, Woody Guthrie 1940

"Some things never change", Vince 2006

All advice given is based on my reading of others' experiences on this site. I am not a lawyer, nor am I a beagle, a grapefruit or a trampoline. I will not be filed, sorted, classified or parboiled. I am not a number, I am not an animal, I am the walrus (goob goob a joob)

Hi

In answer to your questions, I'll answer as best I know from my experience and what I've read here in the past couple of months:

1) I am trying to. They point blank refused to consider it even after LBA, so I have filed for it at MCOL stage - I haven't read of any FD cases going to court, so I will wait and see, but fingers crossed!

2) Yes, although they sometimes have another charge called Recall SO/DD or something like that - this gets charged if they don't pay a S/O or D/D.

3) Depends on the amount and the interest. If you have a lowish claim (under £1kish) and don't claim interest, they seem to payup without too much fuss. The higher claims they seem to force to go to MCOL (which of course means they end up paying even more out!)

4) I have only heard of this happening if you try to claim charges back more than once (ie: you go through this process, get your money back, get charged again and try to claim it back again), or if you have already got very close to the wire with the account being closed anyway (recent continued issues with "managing the account". I've seen a few cases in this situation where they do close accounts.

Hope this helps.

___

MBNA VISA - PL sent 23/10

MBNA MCard - PL sent 23/10

FD - PL sent 23/10, offered approx 75% 27/10

Marbles - PL sent 23/10, rejected letter received 27/10

Thanks - That helps a great deal.

1) I worked out the interest based on 8% (County Court), 10.9% (authorsed OD) and 19.9% (unauthorised OD) and between the first two it made about £100 difference (claim is about £2000), but at 19.9% it uppped the interest by £500, I'm thinking it might be better to stick to 8% after all (19.9% seems downright cheeky to me).

2) I don't recall seeing and Recall SO/DD enries in teh statements, but I'll get my mate to check.

3) Thanks - Looks like it's MCOL here we come

4) That's good to know, but my friend is planning on moving anyway, since the £10 a month charge thing came out.

Cheers

Vince

All advice given is based on my reading of others' experiences on this site. I am not a lawyer, nor am I a beagle, a grapefruit or a trampoline. I will not be filed, sorted, classified or parboiled. I am not a number, I am not an animal, I am the walrus (goob goob a joob)

• 1 month later...

Well, I guess we can call this one won...

Of a claim for 1900, my friend has accepted their offer of 1600. I did try to tell him to go for the full amount but he just said "I'm not greedy, I can take my daughter away for easter and I'm happy" so no real point pressing the issue.

Chalk this one up in the win column folks.

Vince