• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

PE ANPR PCN - overstay - appeal failed - Wigmore Shopping Centre, Luton, LU2 9TA

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1297 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Firstly, don't feel you're stumped because PE refused your appeal.  That was always going to happen.  PE and similar companies never, ever accept appeals - ever.

In your appeal did you admit to being the driver?

It would be useful if you give us the exact address of the car park.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• dx100uk changed the title to PE ANPR PCN - overstay - appeal failed - Wigmore Shopping Centre, Luton, LU2 9TA

If you've never been in this position before, it's understandable to think that appealing is a good idea.  You were a genuine customer, you were there with a small child, etc.

However, as you can imagine we see a load of cases every week, and the PPCs never accept appeals (from the standard reply I bet they never even read yours).  Even worse, the motorist generally writes something like "I parked in ..." and outs themselves as the driver, whereas previously the PPC only knew who the keeper of the car was, not who was driving.

But none of this is fatal!

As dx says, there is a minimum ten minutes' grace period.  So the fleecers are after you for overstaying FOUR MINUTES.  An extra four minutes is completely understandable when you have a small child and the necessity of taking personal hygiene very seriously in the times of COVID

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

See what others suggest too, but I would think that now you should do nothing - regarding PE at least.

Over the next few months they will send you various letters that are meant to be threatening, and probably get debt collectors to do the same, no doubt pretending the amount has increased to try to frighten you and then maybe offering a discount to attempt to con you.  All hot air from paper tigers that can be safely ignored.

However, if they ever send you a formal Letter Before Action it'll be time to reply and give them both barrels.

If Wigmore is near to you it would be useful if you could go and get photos of the signage.  Also get on to the council to see if they have planning permission for their signs.  Actions like this begin to build up a case to undermine PE's rubbish.

Oh, and it's not a fine, it's just an invoice from a private company, big difference. 

Yes, you can pay £60 that you don't owe to a bunch of conmen and have an easy life.

Or you can fight them and yes, you will have to put a certain amount of work in.

As a campaigning consumer site we would prefer you did the latter!  But it's up to you.

The only effort with the future letters is the opening of them.  They're just standard nonsense of which PE send out hundreds every week, hoping to scare the naive.

There are 263 successes on the thread HB posted.  That is a vast underestimate as in all 263 cases there was a specific moment to point to when the PPC was beaten.  In many other cases the PPC just gave up but the thread wasn't included.

Reasons why PE's claim is rubbish

- they don't own this land, if you had really done something you shouldn't have with your car it's the landowner who should pursue you, unless they have a contract with PE allowing to issue court claims which they nearly always haven't

- PE hardly ever bother with planning permission, making their signs illegal

- the signs are pants, when you pull in there's nothing stated about having to pay £60 for overstaying and they state "only for shopping on site" (so you can't go to the barber's or have a meal then?!!)

- it's very unlikely that the original planning permission for the car park stated a limit of two hours, personally I'm allergic to shopping but even I could spend two hours there given the range of shops, the eateries, the barber's, the bookies, the pub, etc.

- if a grace period of 10 minutes is OK in normal times for an adult, 14 minutes is quite reasonable when you have a small child and the three of you had to deep wash your hands before you left (with that queue for the bathroom too ;-)).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, JKA_needshelp said:

Struggled to see if they had planning permission. Did loads of searches, but the council website, is not easy to find things.

You could e-mail or phone the appropriate council office.  Ask them

- if PE have PP for the signs, poles & cameras, and

- if they can show you the original PP for the Wigmore Shopping Centre.  Bet it didn't have a limit of two hours!

I've converted your photo to PDF so only registered Caggers can see it, best to keep the fleecers guessing.

Good grief dx, is there no end to your encyclopedic knowledge  :yo:

Brilliant, so no planning permission then.

I see in this case PE threatened court and then ran away.

13 minutes ago, JKA_needshelp said:

That was 2019, and they only had PP up until 2018, so since then they could have of course had PP.

Do we know what happened with that person after they were threatened with court?

So e-mail the council planning department and ask if they have obtained PP for the site since 2018.

I think it's 99.9999% sure PE gave up, otherwise the motorist would have asked us for help with the court case, but you could PM the person and ask.

Regarding court, try to put yourself in PE's shoes (probably difficult as you're not a crook or a conman, but let's try!)

They don't really want to take motorists to court.  Small claims court is set up to be as informal as possible and to discourage the use of solicitors.  Even if you win you're only allowed to claim a very small amount of legal costs from the other party, certainly not enough to pay for a solicitor.  Unfortunately for PE, while they are very experienced at bullying & threatening, they know sweet FA about the law and so invariably do go running to a local solicitor.  So even if they win the case they lose IYSWIM as what they win is a lot less than they have to pay in legal costs.

On the other hand if they never do court then the word will get out that they're paper tigers, so sometimes they do start court cases.

Conclusion - it's unlikely, but not impossible, that they would take you to court.

The sort of motorist they take to court is the type that takes their stupid procedures seriously or shows ignorance of the law or doesn't reply to an LBA (so might have moved and in any case may not defend a claim).  So to increase the odds further we recommend ignoring their drivel up to LBA stage and then giving them both barrels to let them know you know their signage is illegal and you were within a grace period and they would have a load of hassle with a defended court case.  At that point they nearly always go scurrying back under their stone.