I gave £2000 loan to my nieces husband 2-3 years ago and he not paying me back

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1456 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Sofiaa,

These are difficult times and that's relevant to your financial position, but also to your neice and her husband.

I assume no written agreement was made at the time of the loan, so Bazza's comments about verbal terms of the loan are crucial.

Perhaps an alternative to threatening court action may be to speak to the neice and husband and ask them to now agree to repay at the rate of £xx or £xxx per month and sign an agreement to this effect. I suggest this in case they're unable to afford to repay the full amount in one go just now.

Get them to sign such agreement and, if they fail to repay as agreed, you have a stronger basis to sue them.

But it all hinges on 2 things :-

1. How you feel about taking them to court, them being family.

2. If you think they would actually be able to repay the full amount, or monthly instalments, given their own current circumstances.

Edited by slick132
typos
  • Like 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Manx,

Instead you could say :-

I have a Certificate of Posting from the Post Office as proof of posting this letter to you.

FTM Dave is saying, put a Stamped Addressed Envelope in with the letter so they have no excuse for not replying to you.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

........... or as dumb as me, who replied to Manxman as if HE was the OP.

Maybe Soffia can let us know when the letter is sent off.

Please tell us exactly what you said in the text msg but hide any identifiers, names, etc.

Also, confirm what their reply said.

Then we can suggest your best strategy.

• Like 1

Hi Sofiaa,

If you don't get the payment on 5th May, come back and let us know.

The letter that FTMDave drafted for you earlier will need to be amended to take account of what's happened since in text msgs.