• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1811 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I know that this is not want you want to hear but it is such a shame that you had defaulted on such an excellent  payment arrangement (spread over a 12 month period). 

When you made the payment arrangement, did you do so following receipt of a Notice of Enforcement? What I trying to understand is whether or not there had been a previous visit?

The Police would not have been able to assist them to gain entry into your residential property. That is a FACT. This is merely a CIVIL debt. If it had of been a criminal debt (for example; an unpaid magistrate court FINE), then entry could be gained into your property by force.

The only asset that the officer could possibly have seized would have been your vehicle. With no previous visit and no inventory made, it is even more important to obtain a breakdown of fees charged....and quickly.

If this was the only visit made and no inventory taken, then only the Stage 1 fee should be charged. The stage 2 fee of £594 is highly questionable and with regards to the Sale Stage fee of £630...….needs to be removed. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Revala69 said:

I am in the process of drafting a complaint letter to CES and copying in my local MP

If you could wait until later this evening, I should have time to provide some input. 

Edited by Bailiff Advice

On 11/05/2019 at 08:42, Revala69 said:

I have but it comes up with all the high court enforcement companies is there anything specific I should be looking for ?

I do apologise for not replying sooner but the nice weather is too nice to miss I'm afraid. If I am not back later, I will certainly be responding in detail tomorrow. As you have already paid, there is no actual pressure on you. 

I have been very vocal on the subject of High Court fees for at least 12 years and when  the regulations were overhauled in 2014, I also complained about the fees at the Consultation stage. What has made the position worse is the misleading wording from Item 7.3 of the statutory Explanatory Guidance that supports the fee scale (see below):

The first stage fee was correctly applied. The problem arises with the second stage fee and the sale stage fee. 

As outlined under item 7.3, if the agent was 'unable to enter into a controlled goods agreement'. he can only charge the second enforcement stage fee (of £594) if he is able to 'take control of goods in another manner'. If he is able to do so, arrangements can then be put in place for the removal of those items. In which case, the Sale & Disposal fee of £630 could well apply. 

In your particular case, the agent was UNABLE to take control of any goods at all. Therefore, he cannot and must not charge anything more than the Stage 1 fee. 

I will make a further post this afternoon regarding the steps that you should now be taking. 

1 hour ago, Bailiff Advice said:

The problem arises with the second stage fee and the sale stage fee. 

Given the popularity of this forum, I should perhaps mention that sadly, it is becoming more and more common to find High Court enforcement companies routinely attempting to charge either the Second Stage fee or both....and I can see why. 

I don't intend to mention any particular company name (as regulars on here will know precisely which company I am referring to) but there is one company in particular who are known to request ALL fees at the initial visit. And they attempt to charge such fees as soon as they arrive at the property. With the public unaware of their rights, they get away with it...and in doing so, other companies will try to follow suit. 

If fees have been charged when they should not have been, the regulations do indeed provide for what is called 'Detailed Assessment'. This is where an application is made to the court and a Judge will examine the fees charged to establish whether or not there has been any overcharging. In the first instance, such an application is not free. There is a court fee of around £300. 

With the recovery of council tax arrears, magistrate court fines or unpaid parking penalties, Detailed Assessment applications are almost unheard of. This is because;  the fees chargeable are clear as day (£75 Compliance Fee and £235 Enforcement fee).

Detailed Assessment may be more common in cases of High Court enforcement. Such applications can also be very risky for individuals. Without exemption, High Court enforcement companies will employ  barristers to represent them at hearings.  You will not find a solicitor wishing to represent you with such an application on a 'no win, no fee basis'. 

In 2014, when the regulations were overhauled, a major change took place in that all High Court Enforcement Officers were required to obtain a bailiffs certificate. Accordingly, if there has been any wrongdoing (such as charging excessive fees) a complaint can be made against the individual to the County Court that grated his certificate. There is no fee to pay.

However, before even considering this route, it is important that you write to the enforcement company to ask them to explain in detail what steps were taken by them to justify charging the Second Stage fee and Sale Stage fee. In your letter I would suggest that you point out that you require this information because, at this present time, you are seriously considering making a formal complaint to the County Court that granted the certificate to the officer.