• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2772 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Just had a visit from a debt collector from Chandlers pursuing a council tax or rent debt for my eldest daughter who stays here with me as my carer.

I told him that my daughter was out at work, that she could not be contacted at work due to it being a care home and he told me he would be back with a warrant of entry and the police.

I explained to him that this was a ministry of justice protected property due to my mental and physical disabilites as I am a prescribed vulnerable person and he said that did not matter, I explained that my daughter had no tenure at this property and that a written address on a form did not constitute proof of residence and was told this did not matter.

My poor angina is really playing up and I am in pieces and don't know what to do, I rang up daughters work and they said they would not entertain a phone call whilst she was on duty unless it was a medical emergency so am clueless what to do next. Apart from PTSD, clinical depression I also have a bad heart, angina, progressive peripheral arterial disease, severe frozen shoulder, high blood pressure, diabetes and a fair bit more wrong with me.

Can they force their way in and take stuff that isn't theirs? Most of the stuff I have is ages old and god knows where the receipt for such is and I can't find my qualification certificates as my computer is prob worth quite a bit of money to them and it is "tools of the trade" I am sure.

Any help really appreciated

Ian

If your daughter does not reside with you and you can prove it...not a lot they can do...why are they not visiting her address?

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

If its for a ctax debt are you sure he said he could get the police and force entry??

I'm sure he didn't

They can't do that for a ctax debt nor can they force entry either

What letters has she had to date?

Or is this ctax debt from an old address and she never told the council she had moved?

You can ignore talking to the bailiff as such

But we need more info please

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi,

Can they force their way in and take stuff that isn't theirs? Most of the stuff I have is ages old and god knows where the receipt for such is and I can't find my qualification certificates as my computer is prob worth quite a bit of money to them and it is "tools of the trade" I am sure.

Any help really appreciated

Ian

Ian, thank you for posting. In the first instance, please be assured that an enforcement agent will not be back with a warrant to force entry. The threat is a hollow one and should not be made.

Unfortunately, if your address is the one that is the last known address held on the council records for your daughter, then a bailiff is legally permitted to visit your address.

Do you know whether your daughter provided your address to the council?

Have you received any letters at your home from the council for your daughter? If so, did you give these letters to your daughter?

As this debt is for council tax, there is no right to force entry. Entry into your home would need to be made by investigation (which given your health, must in this instance, be refused).

Ian,

I notice that you have stated that your daughter stays with you as your Carer.

Does she live with you on a full time basis?

Is she on the Electoral Register?

If she does live with you, she needs to be made aware that her car could be at risk if a further visit is made.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, it is for my daughters old flat where she vacated due to family violence and ended the tenancy but they kept on adding rent and council tax arrears even though they had the property back.

Yes his words were "I will be back today with a warrant of entry and the police and we will force our way in if need be" despite my protestations that I am a classed vulnerable person and that the MoJ forbids such entries on people in my situation.

He wasn't rude but tried the low abrupt voice with me, I warned him that as an ex Marine that I would vigorously defend illegal entry to my property and he said no worries as the police will soon sort me out.

Council got address from DWP, as far as I know there hasn't been any correspondence to this address to my daughter as I usually get the letters but maybe she has had and not told me.

Have spoken to errant daughter and told her to get it sorted, I can't afford to pay her debt of 524 quid, I live from hand to mouth on my ESA and DLA already and I don't see too why I should be coerced into paying it either.

Have had two massive angina attacks now since this happened and was almost at the point of calling ambulance as thought I was having a full on heart attack but the nitro inhaler managed to get it second time round but I am shaking lke a leaf still and feel very unwell :(

---

Update

Daughter has come to arrangement with Chandlers now,

now what is really concerning is that despite me telling the bloke I was very distressed,

that I hve considerable mental and physical disabilities

and I was shaking and very frightened by it all,

that he video'd it and his firm said I was very rude,

very aggressive and threatening which I was not,

I did say I would vigorously defend my property but did not issue threats of violence or criminality

and I explained too that any warrant would need to be in compliance with the 1911 Perjuries Act for me to obey it

and he confirmed yes a fresh clear court stamp and an ink signature from a judge.

Should I make a complaint about this and I would like to see this video as he was not wearing any obvious camera nor did he tell me he was recording me.

I am sorry as I do have mental problems and I panicked badly

and came on here for some salvation as I suffer from confusion a lot

and sometimes it becomes too much for me to cope with.

Hi,

Update

Daughter has come to arrangement with Chandlers now,

Should I make a complaint about this and I would like to see this video as he was not wearing any obvious camera nor did he tell me he was recording me.

I am sorry as I do have mental problems and I panicked badly and came on here for some salvation as I suffer from confusion a lot and sometimes it becomes too much for me to cope with.

Ian,

You posted on here at 1pm and by 2pm, your daughter had reached an agreement with Chandlers.

You will probably not welcome this comment from me but please be assured that it is your health that is uppermost in my thoughts.

Personally, I would put this matter to rest.

There is one final comment that I would make though and that concerns the actual amount of council tax that your daughter has been billed.

If it is the case that she was charged for a period when she had already vacted the property,

then as long as she can provide some evidence,

she should contact the councils and they will arrange to adjust the amount that she was billed.

She will receive a refund from the council (whch no doubt will come in very handy at the moment !!)

might it not be an idea to see how many LO's she has too wit the council?

oh and some of those things you are coming out with are very freemen of the land twaddle

be careful upon the sites you take advice from Ian

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...