• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Wages taken + account closed without notice ***SETTLED***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1895 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Don't panic, I didn't get my account closed because I asked for my money back, this is from 5 years ago. :O)

5 years ago I had a current account and a loan with Yorkshire bank. My loan was due one thursday, however I didn't get paid until the friday, so I went down to my branch to pay some money in thursday morning to cover the loan. I had done this before, as my loan didn't come out of my account till after lunchtime. There was a queue, and a member of staff came along asking if anyone was paying money in, if they were just to pop it in the payment box she had to save waiting in the queue. I said I was and explained it was for my loan due out that day. 'no problem' she said, 'it will be paid in straight away'

I checked my account the day after, the loan direct debit had been refused and a charge of £32 added to me account. When I rung up the branch and explained what was happened I was told 'the money was paid in too late, it's nothing to do with us now, you'll have to take it up with head office'

Obviously I was peeved (I also wish I knew then what I know now!) but I just thought 'sod them' and spent the rest of the loan money. (and it felt good!). This put me 2 months in arrears with my loan.

The next payday I went to a cash machine and couldn't get any money out. I rung the bank up, to be told ' your account has been closed' - They had waited until my wages went in (which settled my overdraft), then closed my account, kept my wages and defaulted the loan.

I had no notice from the bank that they were going to take my wages or close the account, and i'm 99.9% sure I never received a default notice for my loan.

Obviously the first step is a DPA request as I can still recover a year of charges from may 2000-2001 when the account was closed.

But is there anything I can do about the default or my wages being taken without notice? Also within the dpa request can I ask for copies of any letters sent to me, just to make 100% sure I didn't receive a notice of default? (I'm as sure as I can be that I didn't!) I didn't think the loan would be defaulted, only being a couple of months behind.

Last thing, The bank defaulted my loan in 2001 but I have a CCJ from 2002 for the same loan. Does the 6 years statute of limitations run from the default or the CCJ?

Bit of a long post, so Thanks for any help!

Bank of Scotland: Claiming £699.47, SETTLED IN FULL at moneyclaim stage

Sisters NatWest - Claiming £1056 - SETTLED at AQ stage

Natwest CC - Claiming £804, SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

GF Natwest - claiming £749.33, moneyclaim filed - SETTLED IN FULL 04/08

MBNA: Claiming £150 - SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

HSBC: £1014 - SETTLED at LBA stage + pending charges removed

Sisters HSBC - £300 - SETTLED IN FULL at prelim stage

Yorkshire bank - claiming £496.68 - SETTLED IN FULL at court date stage.

Capital One - claiming £605.54 -SETTLED IN FULL

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No replies (think YB forum is a bit of a backwater!) so DPA request posted today anyway. 40 days expires May 31st. Shame I can only claim for a year of charges, but hopefully they charged me a fortune that year.

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

Sorry - the 6 years runs from now. However, you can try and get more info under the DPA - that isn't bound by the limitations act - if they hold personal info, then it's covered.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Wow - go get your money back!! I'm not sure about your question re default/CCJ but I would assume you're covered anyway as both occured within the six years.

I'm sure someone else with a bit more knowledge on this will come by shortly and answer that for you...(edit: Dave got in just before me)

Keep us posted on your progress.

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter

09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4

22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6

17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

Experian say that details of defaults are kept on your report for 6 years from the date of the default, even if it is subsequently marked as satisfied by the lender.

As CCJs appear on a seperate area of your credit report, I imagine that it will also appear for 6 years from the date of the judgement, so you may well find that your credit report contains both a default notice for the loan and a CCJ notice.

not good I know, but I hope it helps.

... a little

Mahala is a powerful thing ...

If you like my advice, please click the scales.

All advice is offered informally. If in any doubt, seek professional advice.

Barclays:claiming £908. Defence filed

Simply Be: settled in full

Abbey: Claim issued for DPA compliance order

GE Capital: Claim issued for DPA compliance order

Aktiv Kapital: Failed to comply with CCA disclosure. Debt unenforceable.

If this site has helped you, please make a donation to help keep it going.

Thanks for that, the good thing is the default will be gone in 12 months, the CCJ in another 12 if they are seperate.

Just an update, received a reply to my DPA letter from Aileen (can't remember the surname!) at Clydesdale bank network support, stating they needed my account number to supply the data. I no longer have the account number so I have a reply ready to send tomorrow stating they can find the account using my personal details I have already supplied (I still live in the same house, have the same job, etc), I will supply further identification if needed, and to ring me if there are any further problems.

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

Take the opportunity emphasise that they have forty days to comply with your DPA request, and that refers to the original request you mad on 21st April. You need to make it absolutely clear to these muppets from the get go, that you mean business, and that you are not going to go away.

I mean how ridiculous, they waste money on writing to you in order to tell you they cannot find your details.. what a waste of resources. Such behaviour just reinforces your position, and akes them look like a bunch cretins.

You are making the correct response though. Good.

As per your credit file... let's deal with that once you are on route to getting your money back.. you will notice from the prelim letter and Letter Before Action templates that there is scope to request removal of defaults - just to put the pressure on them from the outset.. but I feel in your case it may require a more in depth look at the circumstances.

Post when you have received statements.

• Confused 1

"BA Group. The World's favourite CA Group"

HSBC 2 claims amalgamated. £1195. settled in full prior to filing claim.

BARCLAYS settled in full 2 days prior to submission of defence by Barclays

CAP ONE settled in full on day 14 of LBA (£210)

Thanks Don!

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

I have just received a phone call from YB, asking if I could remember which month I closed my account (I didn't close it, they did) as it would help them find my account number and details. He also asked if I could give them a bit of time, to which I quoted the 40 day rule. He said he was aware that they were bound by it, so at least they know that.

He then said they only keep details of closed accounts for 5 years, I said they have to be kept for 6 years. He sounded very young and a bit nervous, I wonder if he has had the pleasure of ringing other BAG'ers, hehe. He said they would get on with finding my details, then my statements and would keep me informed.

So they are still messing about and haven't even found my account details yet, I am half expecting them to say they can't find a record of them!

When will I receive the statements from? the date they received the DPA or the date they actually find my account details? If it's the latter I will probably lose part of my claim as the account was closed in may 2001. I currently will only have a years worth of claims anyway and potentially getting less all the time!

Also I assume the same rules apply to my DPA request, even though I have no account details to supply?

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

Rob, if you do lose part of your claim because the bank has missed the DPA deadline you can take them to court for breaching the DPA and claim compensation for the part of the claim you have lost. Gaz

P.S. you are also able to go to court and get the court to order compliance if the deadline has passed.

Rob, if you do lose part of your claim because the bank has missed the DPA deadline you can take them to court for breaching the DPA and claim compensation for the part of the claim you have lost. Gaz

P.S. you are also able to go to court and get the court to order compliance if the deadline has passed.

They have until 02/06 to supply me with my DPA details, if they don't i'm going in with an estimated claim, breaching the DPA, you name it! If Spiceskulls 6+ year claim goes well i'm having a go at YB for that as well. I reckon they owe me £2k+ that has passed the 6 year limitation!

They may get extra time with this claim though, as i'm at the World Cup from 9th-26th June.

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

Cheers Gaz, i'll do both! :)

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

• 2 weeks later...

Statements arrived today - 2 days before the deadline, but as I had no account number and the account was closed 5 years ago I'm happy enough.

Down to the figures - exactly £300 of charges in the year from april 2000 - 2001 when they closed the account. But the transaction that REALLY got me fuming is this one -

Balance - £193.55 o/d

Credit - £201.68

Closing debit - £8.13

Not only did they take my wages and close my account without any notice whatsoever, they also took the £8.13 I was in credit as a 'closing debit'!!

I'm going to enjoy taking every single penny of it back, and I hope it goes to court so I get the 8% on it as well.

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

• 2 weeks later...

I am almost certain that a bank has no right what so ever to take all your income in one fell swoop. I would have started proceedings when theyt closed your account and kept your salary. Even if they call you ovewrdraft in they have to arrang installments. I would look into this angle as well if I were you Hils

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the World Cup today, (my girlfriend posted me my LBA whilst I was away) A nice letter from YB was waiting for me saying they aren't going to repay the charges. LBA was sent on the 16th so i'll put in a moneyclaim on the 30th. Interest will take the amount from £300 to over £400.

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

On a side note, I also demanded a full explanation of what exactly the £8.13 'closing debit' was for. Suprisingly (yeah right!), there was no mention of this whatsoever in the fob off letter. I'm not bothered, moneyclaim on friday then I hope it goes to court and they can explain there what they took it for. Somehow I doubt i'll get the satisfaction though.

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

Moneyclaim submitted today, claiming £496.68 inc. interest and costs. Claim no. 6QZ43314

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

Don't forget to PM a mod, Rob, then they can put it in the litigation section with the rest of us. I notice that the claims against YB are coming on now! [and we've got a whole sub forum to ourselves lol]

Advice & opinions given by pjdudley69 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. Also visit legal seagulls for more friendly help and advice.

Already pm'd Pj, and yes, it feels better when you know there are a few of us putting claims in against YB at the same time! If anyone claiming needs any help or support on this give me a shout.

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

Hi All

Hope you can help - I've got something very similar to this ongoing with Lloyds TSB and I'm about to post the prelim letter but I'm unsure about the default para. Obviously I must have defaulted on this because I ended up with a CCJ, so do I just leave the para as it is or do I need to add something about the CCJ as well?

Or have I get the wrong end of the stick and I might be able to get the default removed but not be able to do anything about the CCJ?

Any help appreciated

Bev :?

Claim acknowledged on the 10/07. Waiting game now :)

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

You'll probably only have a couple of weeks to wait now Rob before you get their poor excuse of a defence - you might get it even sooner cos Kirstie Ross, their Senior Corporate Lawyer, will be getting pretty used the these now [if she'd any sense she'd set up a template ;)] :D Let us know when you get it.

Advice & opinions given by pjdudley69 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. Also visit legal seagulls for more friendly help and advice.

Yeah, the Acknowledgement is signed by Kirsty Ross. I can't believe they are abusing the court system like this, we know and they know they aren't going to reveal their costs in the courtroom. It's about time the courts put it to a stop.

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1895 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks