• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

2 Years of Eon farce

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2894 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Afternoon Lawrence. I'm sorry you've had so many difficulties and you're doing the right thing in going down our complaints route. As you're now with the Review Team, the next step is the Ombudsman as you're unhappy with the resolution proposed. From your post, I suspect this case is well over the 56 days the Ombudsman allows us to sort out complaints before they'll become involved. Even if it wasn't, we can send you a 'Final Resolution Offer' letter which will let you go to the Ombudsman straightaway.

It looks like you originally had a particular metering set up designed for all electric properties with storage heaters and electric water immersion heaters. These give a number of hours in each 24 hour period where electricity for heating and hot water is charged at lower off peak prices. There'll also be a number of hours when all electricity is charged at the cheaper prices. To work, the meters are wired into dedicated heating/hot water circuits at properties. This allows the heating/hot water to be switched on and off when the off peak times are active.

As the storage heaters were no longer working when you moved in, I can understand why you wanted a different metering set up. What usually happens here is both meters are removed and replaced with a more conventional set up like a single rate or Economy 7 meter. Following this, a number of electronic messages pass between us and various third parties like the electricity distributor, meter operator/reader, national database etc. This is to let all those involved with the supply know about the changed circumstances. After the meter exchange, it can take a few weeks before all the information is in place and the account updated. Not a year though so it looks like something wasn't updated as it should've been. This would explain why you weren't able to enter readings online and kept receiving estimated bills.

Was the reduction of £560 because we've now re-billed the account to accurate readings? Were bills before the meter exchange on 5 March 15 accurate or estimated?

I have to say, it's rare for a meter that's only about a year old to be faulty. I suspect this is why we're asking you to monitor the ongoing usage. Doing the checks CrappoMan talks about will help. I'd also recommend taking readings daily for a week, weekly for a month and then monthly. This will help you see if there's anything unusual going on or any sudden spikes. Due to the cost, a check meter is something of a last resort. If, though, the meter does turn out to be faulty the £93 will be refunded in full.

Due to the variations in properties, types of heating, levels of insulation, attitudes to energy efficiency, lifestyles etc, it's difficult to come up with anything meaningful where usage is concerned. Ofgem have published some averages for residential customers that range from 2000 kWh to 7200 kWh (last updated in September 15). As I say, a lot depends on the individual circumstances at specific properties. There's more about Ofgem's figures on their website at the following link.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/electricity/retail-market/monitoring-data-and-statistics/typical-domestic-consumption-values

Sorry again this has taken so long to sort out. Hope the above helps point you in the right direction. Sorry, too, if some of my speculation is off track.

Malc

Hi Malc

Yes, your review of the situation is pretty much spot on.

I wonder if you can ask the right dept to send me the Final Resolution letter as, although the complaint has been running for a year, I am not sure whether or not it was closed last year.

All the bills I have received have been estimated.

I am unsure of the reason behind the £560 as I haven't been told - possibly accurate readings.

I have started checking the meter at regular intervals and will do a check as per Crappoman's suggestion.

Cheers for now

Lawrence

Hello Lawrence and thanks for coming back to me. Nottslad gives some excellent advice. I'd certainly make sure all's okay with the meter exchange and everything has been updated as it should've been.

Don't worry about a letter. As the complaint is over a year old, you can go to the Ombudsman now. It shouldn't have been closed as you're not happy with the resolution offered. If it has, it usually goes back to the same team who closed it so it can be re-opened. It will be re-opened from the original date. Don't worry about having to start again. From your earlier post, it sounds like your complaint went through to our Reviewers. If this is the case, they'll need to re-open it. If, though, you made it clear you weren't happy, I doubt they'll have closed it. They may be waiting for you to go back to them. Guessing though. There are details about our complaints handling process, including how to contact the Ombudsman, on our website at the following link.

https://www.eonenergy.com/About-eon/how-we-service-our-customers/~/media/PDFs/General-PDFs/codes%20of%20practice/COP_Apr.pdf

I'll be happy to contact the advisor handling this if you drop me a PM or an email to the address in my biography. If it has reached the Reviewers, I won't be able to help with the actual resolution as it'll already have gone beyond my level. Happy to give them a heads up. After today, I'm out of the office until the middle of next week so please don't think I'm ignoring you if I my reply is a little late.

I think nottslad may be right about the £560 too. Could be a Billing Code adjustment. This code applies on residential accounts where the supplier is at fault and failed to bill accurately. In these cases, we won't bill for energy used more than 12 months from when the problem was fixed.

Hope this is of use Lawrence. Have a good weekend.

Malc

Hi Lawrence, sounds like you've had a real nightmare here

I echo with what Malc has said, but I would add to check that the meter details have now all been updated on your bill. Your bill should show your meter serial number - does this match what is now in the property? Do the readings look similar?

In one of the back bills you have received, there should be a date when the old metering was removed and the new meter installed. Usually there will be a sticker or luggage tag left with your new meter with the old meter details, the meter reads etc - are these correct?

The £560 is most likely a billing code reduction, which is calculated by producing an accurate bill, taking off what you've paid off the oldest section and then removing any under charge that is older than 12 months - this does effectively mean that you'd still have a full year's consumption to pay.

I'm wondering if this was considered when you had the first year bill as it should have been. If it hasn't then I would expect the Ombudsman to re-calculate this based on that.

Malc - perhaps if Lawrence sends you a private message you could investigate this and assist him further?

As ever, excellent advice nottslad. Thanks for that. Happy to point Lawrence in the right direction and give our Reviewers a nudge but, as above, little else I can do now the complaint has reached this stage. Happy to nudge them though.

Have a good weekend.

Malc

Hello Lawrence.

Looks like you've pinpointed a particular source of usage. The type of heating arrangement described would definitely be classed as potentially high usage. It's good you're on top of this now and we might be able to help you cut down a bit more. When you've a minute, have a look at the 'Energy Saving' pages on our website. There are lots of tips on there to help save money by saving energy.

Have you thought about registering for a Smart Meter? They're not available everywhere yet but, if you're eligible, they'll help you keep on top of the ongoing usage. They come with an Energy Display similar to the one you've bought but ours will be set up specifically to suit your circumstances. It'll be set up with the prices you're paying so you can see in pounds and pence how much electricity you're using. Smart Meters also send us meter readings via electronic messages. No need to read the meter so one less job to think about. There's no charge for either the meter or display. Again, there's more information on our website including a form to register an interest.

As you've registered with our website, you'll be able to use 'Real Time Billing.' When logged in, just enter a reading and you'll have the option of seeing what balance this would result in or actually creating your own bill. It's a good way to make sure the account is in good order.

Another online tool that gives you more control is the 'Direct Debit Manager.' This helps you see if payments are covering the usage and also lets you change the monthly amount. Comes in handy should circumstances change. Provided the account is billed up to the latest readings, payments can be changed by up to 20 per cent up or down. By up to 5 per cent up or down without readings. Before confirming the new amount, we'll let you know by how much we anticipate the account will be in credit/debit by the time of the annual review if payments are changed but usage doesn't alter as expected.

Have you heard about the Energy Company Obligation (ECO)? This is a Government led scheme that aims to cut usage by providing help with energy saving stuff like faulty boilers, loft and cavity wall insulation. More information on our website about this too.

Whilst on our website, check out our tariffs. Make sure you're on the best one for your circumstances. I'd also pop your usage in kWh on to the independent comparison sites. This will let you see all the options both with us and with the other suppliers.

Hope this gives you a few ideas Lawrence. Let me know if you need any more information. Happy to help.

Malc

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon Lawrence. Just thought I'd stop by to see how you're going on monitoring the electricity. Anything unusual? Are the panel heaters in the bedroom still going through electricity? Hopefully, the better weather we've seen recently will start to make a difference and give you some breathing space. Don't forget about the pages on our website to help save money by saving energy.

Once you've cleared the arrears, the monthly payments can be reduced to cover the ongoing usage only. You know where I am if you've any more questions although I'm out of the office after today for 10 days. Don't worry, my colleague Helena will be around to help.

Have a good weekend Lawrence.

Malc

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Morning Stevie.

Sorry for the late reply but, as I mentioned above, I've been away for a time. Bit longer than expected actually. I can see you've raised a number of concerns and posted a lot of detailed information. I'll do my best to advise on as much as possible. For anyone else who might be interested and for ease of reading, I'll spread my replies over several posts. Please don't think I'm ignoring something if I don't address it immediately. I'll reach it eventually.

Thanks for your patience Stevie.

Malc

my best advice to you knowing this come is get shot of as quickly as possible.do not pay them for estimated bills.

They are obliged by law to read the meter every 2 years. This is when they are known to bill the old bill reversal trick on customer to **** and con you.

AsI have stated before if you have not increased floor area ie new bedroom kitchen etc, then there is no reason for increased usage.

If you have not increased kw of appliances there is no increased usage.

EON in particular thro the direct debit payments in the first instance sacm customers and then pull the old switcroo in bill reversal.

Go through your bills carefullyBut best advice ditch them 2 years will become 4 years. You are well warned.

Change now.

Hello Stevie.

You're absolutely right. We're obliged to read electricity meters at least once every 2 years. We do, though, try to read them more often. We're also happy to accept customer's readings and have various channels where this can be done. These include online through our website or mobile phone app, by phone (Contact Centres are open from 8am to 8pm weekdays and between 8am and 6pm on Saturdays), by text, email or via our Social Media channels, twitter and Facebook. We're also rolling out Smart Meters throughout the UK. These take away the need for customers to read meters. Here, readings are automatically sent to us via electronic messages although we'll continue to visit once every couple of years to make sure meters are accurate and safe. If all this fails, we've a system in place to contact customers to arrange to visit at a mutually convenient time.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'bill reversal' but I'll hazard a guess and sorry if I'm wrong. I'm sure you'll put me straight. Do you mean rebilling over a long period? Taking Lawrence's situation and, please remember, I speculated a lot there as I didn't see the account. I suspected the meter exchange caused a delay in sending an accurate bill despite having visited on 8 occasions to read the meter. It appeared, once we had sorted the difficulty, we were able to rebill the account to replace estimated readings with accurate ones. This was the right thing to do as it corrected the account so that it reflected electricity used.

As nottslad says, to do this, we go back to a point in time or a particular reading and start from there. Provided we have them, this lets us replace estimated readings with the right ones and bring the account up to date. All payments made during this time are then applied to give a proper picture of where accounts are at. As I mentioned in post 9, in cases where we're at fault for not billing correctly, we'll apply the Billing Code. Here, electricity used more than 12 months from when the problem was fixed, will be written off. I think this was the £560 we knocked off Lawrence's bill although not 100 per cent sure on this as not confirmed.

On the usage issue you mention, Lawrence confirms in post 14, panel heaters (large and old) were responsible for 'chewing up the most electric' and assumes he 'actually used the amount' owed. This is not to gloss over our shortcomings. Lawrence was quite right to be annoyed about the delay sending an accurate bill and the time it took to sort out. If you're reading Lawrence, sorry again about this.

Much of this is speculation Stevie and sorry if I'm on the wrong track. I've not come across the term 'bill reversal' before and hope I've interpreted what you mean correctly.

Malc

Save money, how about paying compensation Malc to the customer . lets cal it a good will gesture lets say £1000.

By the way the comment above about earth leakage circuit breakers/RCD in he consumer is nonsense.

Following on from my previous post Stevie. It looks as though Lawrence has gone through our complaints procedure which was the right thing to do have done. Advisors involved with this are the ones who look at whether or not compensation is due and judge each case on its individual merits. From what's been posted, it looks like £560 has been knocked off the outstanding balance, possibly due to the Billing Code, plus a further £20. As above, if Lawrence is unhappy with this, he'll need to go back to the team who dealt with the complaint or approach the Ombudsman.

Lawrence, if you are reading and if you haven't already, you can ask for a payment arrangement to spread the outstanding balance over a longer period. Might help and sorry I didn't mention this before.

Stevie, the stuff about RCD/Earth leakage wasn't me. Not something I know anything about. Perhaps ericsbrother (post 12) might be able to advise further?

Thanks.

Malc

Hello Stevie.

As promised, I'm back to pick up this thread from where I temporarily suspended my replies last night. I'd reached but not replied to all the points in post 19 so I'll start from there.

You ask about our compliance with the Standard Licence Conditions (SLC) and, in particular, SLC 25C.4? I'm happy to confirm, we comply with all our obligations under industry rules. If we didn't, I'm sure the Regulator would take us to task. That's not to say mistakes don't happen. They do. Once we're aware of a mistake, we'll say sorry and put things right. No excuses.

To save confusion and for the benefit of others, thought I'd copy and paste SLC25C.4 from the Ofgem website as below.

25C.4 The Standards of Conduct are that:

(a) the licensee and any Representative behave and carry out any actions in a Fair, honest, transparent, appropriate and professional manner;

(b) the licensee and any Representative provide information (whether in Writing or orally) to each Domestic Customer which:

(i) is complete, accurate and not misleading (in terms of the information provided or omitted);

(ii) is communicated (and, if provided in Writing, drafted) in plain and intelligible language;

(iii) relates to products or services which are appropriate to the Domestic Customer to whom it is directed; and

(iv) is otherwise Fair both in terms of its content and in terms of how it is presented (with more important information being given appropriate prominence);

© the licensee and any Representative:

(i) make it easy for a Domestic Customer to contact the licensee;

(ii) act promptly and courteously to put things right when the licensee or any Representative makes a mistake; and

(iii) otherwise ensure that customer service arrangements and processes are complete, thorough, fit for purpose and transparent.

Treating customers fairly is something that's very important to us. We aim to do this by being honest, clear and giving accurate information in an open and transparent way that's easy to understand. As above, we'll say sorry if we make a mistake and let customers know how and when we'll put things right. We make it as easy as possible for customers to contact us and keep in touch in a way each individual prefers.

We listen, too, and this helps us improve our services and products to better suit our customer's needs going forward. For instance, the threads Helena and I post on, both on CAG and other Forums, are sent up the food chain directly to colleagues in decision making positions. Feedback like this is invaluable when planning for the future. Each year we issue a statement to show what we've done and plan to do. There are more details on our website at the following link.

https://www.eonenergy.com/About-eon/how-we-service-our-customers/our-customer-statement

We also try to involve customers as much as possible and regularly hold sessions at our offices where they can come along and tell us what they think. They can join a panel, too, where they can help us change things in the future. This is our YourSay Panel.

In post 19, you also mention things about meters, estimated readings and billing. Just to confirm some of the stuff I posted yesterday, we're happy to accept a customer's readings and will use as many accurate readings as possible when billing. The more actual readings we have, the more accurate the billing will be. Sometimes, estimates are necessary where we're not able to access meters and customers aren't able to provide a reading. Once we have readings, though, we'll be happy to rebill even if this goes back a long way. It's the best way to accurately record energy used at properties. As I said yesterday, Smart Meters will greatly improve this.

Wherever a meter is faulty, we'll replace it without charge as soon as possible.

I'll close this here Stevie and pick up the points you raise in later posts shortly.

Malc

Stevie, I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve from your posts and how the Op is going to gain any benefit from your advice or the questions you are asking of Malc.

As a customer service rep for EON Malc will of course have to tow the company line and will not be able to answer most of your questions, which seem to be asking for opinion.

EON's customer account system is an in-house developed bespoke system with an Oracle database back end. By no means is it perfect, but I can categorically say from first hand experience that it is better and more reliable than those in operation at Natwest, Capital One, Boots and Virgin Media.

You mention something about payments not being taken in to account when re-billing activity takes place. This can't happen - there is no manual input of payments from anyone in the billing department if an account is re-billed. A domestic bill, if re-billed, is "backed out" ie cancelled and taken back to a particular date / meter read. Subsequent meter reads, as long as usable, are used in the billing back to the current / most recent read. Payments made are then subtracted from the amount of the re-bill.

Good description of how we rebill nottslad. Thanks for that. As you say, payments made during a rebilling period are applied automatically to give a full picture of the state of an account.

Malc

Many thanks for you patience on this thread Malc...however if I can remind posteres that this threads OP has not returned since April and I fear it is becoming a discussion thread.

If we could please refrain from posting further until the OP returns.

Regards

Andyorch

Sorry Andyorch. Didn't see your post before I responded to nottslad. Of course. Happy to respect the Forum's wishes. I'm aware there are questions Stevie has asked which I haven't fully addressed yet but will leave it there. Just don't want to appear to be deliberately trying to avoid a question as not the case. Thanks.

Malc

• Haha 1