• Tweets

• Thank you very much for your letter in regard to the above mentioned shipment.  Due to the high volume of parcels coursing through the courier network each day, undergoing continuous processing and handling, certain packages may experience delays or even can get lost in the course of this journey. Please note that due to the time that has passed, this shipment has been declared as lost.  I have today processed the claim and made offers to the value of £75 as a goodwill gesture without prejudice. I do acknowledge that you have mentioned in your letter that the value was higher, however, you did not take out any protection to that amount. The protection for this shipment was £20 and we will not be increasing our goodwill offer any further.    Please log into your account online in order to accept our offer. Once accepted, our accounts department will process the claim accordingly. The claim payment will be processed and received within 7 working days.                                  In addition, a refund of the carriage fee will be processed as a separate payment and will be received within 3 working days.  If I can further assist, please feel free to contact me.   I have also just noticed that yesterday afternoon they sent me an email stating that "after my request" they have refunded the cost of shipping. I did not request the refund so will mention that in my letter as well.
    • Hi I had to leave Dubai back in 2011, during the financial crisis. And only now have I received a letter from IDRWW. Is this anything to worry about about as I have 2 years left until it’s been 15 years(statute barred in Dubai). Worried as just got a mortgage 2 years ago. Could they force me in to bankruptcy? Red lots of different threads on here. And unsure what true and what isn’t. 
    • Not that TOR will see this now he's thrown in the hand grenade. Rayner has plenty of female supporters on X, for a start. As for the council and HMRC, fair enough and I thought Rayner was already in touch with them. That's where it should be dealt with, not the police force. @tobyjugg2 Daniel Finkelstein thinks the same as you about tax. The Fiver theory. How the Fiver Theory explains this election campaign ARCHIVE.PH archived 28 May 2024 17:36:51 UTC  
    • Often with the Likes of Lowells/ Overdales that 'proof' doesn't stand up to scrutiny.   Think about it like a game of poker, they want to intimidate you into folding and giving up as soon as possible, and just get you to pay up and roll over, that is their business model, make you think your cards are rubbish. What they don't expect, and their business isn't set up for it, is for a defendant to find this place and to learn that they have an amazing set of cards to play. Overdales don't have an infinite number of lawyers, paralegals etc, and the time / money to spend on expensive court cases, that they are highly likely to lose, hence how hard they will try to get you to roll over.  Even to the extent of faking documents, which they need to do because the debts that they purchased were so cheap, in the first place. Nevertheless it works in most cases, most people chicken out, when they are so close to winning, and a holding defence is like slowly showing Overdales your first card, and a marker of intention that this could get tricky for them. In fact it may be,  although by no means guaranteed that it won't even go any further than that.  Even if it does, what they send you back will almost certainly have more holes than Swiss Cheese, and if with the help you receive here, you can identify those weaknesses and get the whole thing tossed in the bin.
    • So Rayner who is don’t forget still being investigated by the local council and HMRC  is now begging to save her seat Not a WOMAN in sight in this video other than Rayner  Farage is utterly correct this country’s values are non existent in her seat   Rayner Pleads With Muslim Voters as Pressure From Galloway Grows – Guido Fawkes ORDER-ORDER.COM Guido has obtained a leaked tape from inside a meeting between Angela Rayner and Muslim voters in Ashton-under-Lyne...  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

GaryH's OH vs Abbey - non-compliance *WON IN COURT*

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6327 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Filed against Abbey for non-compliance a while ago and received their defence last week. Still no sign of the statements 3 months on from the origional SAR, so I fully expect this will go all the way. If anyone has any thoughts on the defence I'd be glad to hear them, particularly Glenn who appears to be the man in the know when it comes to Abbey's microfiche arguement. Also, any sugestions for section G of the AQ would be appreciated, although I'm not sure anything at all is needed for that section at this stage.

Here it is;

IN THE ******** COUNTY COURT

BETWEEN:

Claimant - and -

ABBEY NATIONAL PLC

Defendant

DEFENCE

1. Unless otherwise indicated references to paragraph numbers are references to the numbered

paragraphs in the Particulars of Claim dated 19 September 2006.

2. Paragraphs 1 and 2 are admitted.

3. As to paragraph, it is admitted that the Claimant sent a Subject Access Request ("S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)") dated 19

July 2006 with the enclosed £10 in accordance with section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the

"Act").

4. Paragraph 4 is denied. The Defendant denies that it has failed to comply with the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request). It has

provided all the data which the Claimant is entitled to receive pursuant to the Act.

5. Under section 7 of the Act the Claimant is only entitled to receive "personal data". Pursuant to

section 1 of the Act "personal data" is defined (in so far as relevant) as:

"data which relate to a living individual who can be identified

(a) from those data, or

(b) from those data and other information which is in the possession of or is likely to come

into the possession of the data controller..."

Pursuant to section 1 of the Act "data" is defined as follows:

information which

(a) is being processed by means of equipment operating automatically in response to

instructions given for that purpose;

(b) is recorded with the intention that it should be processed by means of such equipment;

© is recorded as part of a relevant filing system or with the intention that it should form part

of a relevant filing system; or

(d) does not fall within paragraph (a), (b) or © but forms part of an accessible record as

defined by section 68"

7. Section 68 concerns health, educational and public records and therefore sub-section (d) is not

relevant to the present proceedings.

8. "Relevant filing system" is defined as:

"any set of information relating to individuals to the extent that, although the information is not processed by means of equipment operating automatically in response to instructions given for that purposes, the set is structured, either by reference to individuals or by reference to criteria relating to individuals, in such a way that specific information relating to a particular individual is readily accessible".

9. The Claimant's S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) was made in relation to bank statements and information in relation to the

charges levied in an account number ****** ******* held with the Defendant ("Account").

The Defendant keeps this information on its automated "live" system for up to 18 months. In

compliance with the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request), and in accordance with subsection (a) of the definition of "data" under

the Act, all relevant data stored on the "live" system was provided to the Claimant under cover of

letter dated 4 April 2006.

10. After the 18-month period has elapsed, the Defendant transfers the information held on the live

system onto microfiche. The microfiche is then stored and, if necessary, retrieved as follows:

10.1 It is stored in boxes covering a 2-month period (for example, January and February, or

March and April). There are usually 4 boxes covering each 2-month period.

10.2 Each box contains a range of account numbers, such that (by way of example only) "box

1" could cover account numbers 1-500 and "box 2" account numbers 501-900.

10.3 In the circumstances, in order to search for microfiche dating back for a period of 4 years

would require a member of the Defendant's staff to check the fronts of 96 boxes to

identify the relevant boxes containing microfiche records relating to the account, then

search the contents of 24 different boxes identified and finally go through an average of

450 different accounts on the particular microfiche in order to locate the specific records

of the individual account.

10.4 Each piece of microfiche contains the records of a number of accounts and there is a note

on the fiche itself of the range of account numbers that it covers.

10.5 The microfiche in each box are stored in numerical order, although each box contains

approximately between 8,000-9,000 pieces of microfiche. The member of staff searching

for or retrieving the microfiche has to check through the boxes manually to find the

relevant information sought.

10.6 Once the correct microfiche has been identified, the member of staff has to put it into the

fiche reading machine and then manually find the correct account number. Once the

correct account details have been located the information is then printed onto paper. This

process has to be repeated for each piece of microfiche retrieved from each relevant box.

Accordingly, the manual microfiche storage and retrieval operations do not fall within the definition of "relevant filing system", such that the information stored as microfiche does not fall within the definition of "data" and is not covered by the provisions of the Act. The records are not stored in a manner broadly comparable with computerised records: they are not sufficiently structured nor readily accessible, they would have to be retrieved manually at great length and cost to the Defendant.

In the premises, in not providing such information as is stored on the microfiche, the Defendant has not failed fully to comply with the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) nor is it in breach of any of its obligations pursuant to the Act.

In the circumstances, and as regards paragraph 8, it is denied that the provisions of section 15 of the Act are necessary or proportionately required to resolve the present dispute.

Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief from the Defendant. In addition the Claimant has failed to particularise its loss.

• Haha 1

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Hi,

I don't understand this is Abbey still using the microfiche excuse? I hand put in my request in October and in three weeks I'd received all my statements including those that were stored on microfiche.

Pandapa.:confused:

As far as I'm aware, Abbey still deny that Microfiche is a 'relevant filing system', although in most cases they are supplying the data. Word is that they may try to establish solid case law on this, so it looks as though I could be the guinea pig!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

• 1 month later...

Right, there's an allocation hearing been set for December 28th.

I would'nt mind a bit of advice on this if anyone else has got this far in a DPA non-compliance claim. I'm not entirely sure what I can offer the court by way of evidance. Obviously thats not relevant at the Allocation hearing, but for the further down the line. Ok, so I've got the Data Protection Act and the facts - I submitted SAR, they have'nt complied, etc, etc, but what have we got to come back with in response to the microfiche defence? I know theres the recent findings by the ICO, but I'm not sure that's sufficiant to solely rely upon. I obviously need to do some research pretty sharpish! If someone can point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance:)

Small claims track. Not sure what Abbey have requested as they have'nt sent us a copy of their AQ.

Hello, I am glad you are asking these questions I have got my hearing for the non-compliance on 19/02/2006 a way off yet but I am trying to prepare now and I am also wondering what to include? I will watch you thread with interest.

Abbey - Sent Data Protection Act Letter 14/06/06

Received letter 26/06/06 microfiche argument

Sent microfiche argument letter 27/06/06 recorded delivery

Received bank statements for 15 months 30/06/06

Received printout of charges for April / March 2005 06/07/06

Sent LBA 07/06/06 (Template 1)

Re-sent LBA to two different addresses 18/07/06

Received another fob off microfiche story 20/07/06

:o Sent LBA in answer to microfiche again 26/07/06

Received another two fob off microfiche letters 26/07/06

Sent LBA Template 2 26/07/06 wait seven days

Went to court with N1 forms 10/08/06 Claimed served on 12 August abbey have until 29/8/06

:DReceived microfiche statements back to 2000 !!!

:-oSending letter before action with schedule of charges today 28/09/08.

Claim acknowledged Abbey have until 24/10.

Received 50% offer 25/10 along with defence

Okay, it would help if Abbey have applied for multi-track - which is what they have tried in the past with these claims.

Part 32:18 does not apply in small claims, but you MAY get the judge to agree to make an order under the courts case management powers. Under 32:18 you can make a request to the other side to make them admit certain facts.

Obviously the judge may turn the request down, but I would ask that the judge includes within the directions the following:

"That the Defendant do respond to the following request to admit facts:

The Claimant requests that the Defendant do admit that the microfiche system mentioned in section 10 of the defence has been inspected by the Information Commissioner and found to be a Relevant Filing System under the terms of the Data Protection Act."

If the case is allocated to Fast/Multi Track, then you can make the request anyway. But by making the request at this stage it may just focus the minds of Abbey, and more importantly of the Judge, to the fact that that you know they are on the back foot.

I would agree with AFD with respect to the reqeust.

I wold also suggest that if you havent read through the thread in the campaign forum there is a thread where the ICO and fiche is discussed at some length.

I think that the ICOs view is very relevant as evidence since they administer the Act and provide interpretation.

However, you need to consider how they use their fiche and consturct your own arguments about why you believe it is a relevant system.

Such things as how old data is when they archive it, 18 months i believe?

THis means that the archives are used on a daily basis, maybe not for your account but for business pruposes.

You may also like to ask about the costs of sending you statements held on fiche, it was £10 for multiplobe statements.

Its important that they cannot argue this offer is for customers only since they offered it to me and im no longer a customer.

If you want me to confrim this then I woul be happy to porvide support, write letters sign an affadavit if its considered worthwile.

If i think of anything else then ill post back.

HTH

Glenn

• Haha 1

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Alan and Glenn,

Thanks to both of you - both posts are immensely helpful.:)

I'll get to work on it all tomorrow, thats given me a good starting point now which is what I was a bit stuck for. I'll request the order as you've suggested Alan.

As I understand it Microfiche is a commercially availible filing system(?), so hopefully there will be some information out there with regard to its mechanisms. I'll see what I can find and how it relates to the provisions of the Data Protection Act.

I agree Glenn about the Information Commissioners Office's findings being important - VERY important in fact, I just don't feel that I should be relying on that alone. I certainly would'nt feel anywhere near as confidant about proceding had that statement not been made.

O/H is'nt a customer now either, has'nt been for about three years and they offered her the statements for £10 as well. Not that they've ever turned up, obviously. Thanks for the offer though Glenn, its very much appreciated.

Thanks again, I'll obviously keep the thread updated.

Gary

Re fiche being a commercial system, be careful fiche systems range form the things you find at the car spares shop to automated systems, so it may be difficult to find something with which to draw parallels.

Instead i would concentrate on the practical issues about the use of abbeys system primarily how often the access it, how many people work there, how many searches they conduct a year that kind of thing.

As I understand it one the issues that convinced the ICO about changing their view was that where a system is in use as part of a businesses normal (daily?) operation then it was likely to be relevant as opposed to being an actual archive where old records are stored.

Abbey don't store 'old' records they store records of active accounts which are older then 18 or it is 14 months.

HTH

Glenn

PS I'm no expert but because of my dealings with the ICO on Abbey and to a lesser extent Barclaycard, I have had a lot of discussion and done a little investigation. If there is anything you want to talk about drop me a pm and if i can help i will.

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

• 2 weeks later...

Had the allocation hearing today.

Abbey did'nt turn up - no letter from them even!

The judge seemed a little bit surprised that a Data Protection Act non compliance claim had been brought. He asked where we were given the advice that it was a matter for the courts, at which point I gave him a copy of the Information Commissioners Office guidelines - "bringing a DPA case to court". I gave him the background to the issues with Abbey and Microfiche and section 7 of the DPA, etc, ran through the Information Commissioners Office inspection and showed him its findings.

We got a judgement there and then! No damages though - apart from the £30 court fee and the cost of travel and parking, which was only about £10.

Basically, Abbey have been ordered to provide the microfiche within 14 days. That is unless they apply for a set-aside, which I would have thought is quite likely. So its good news - for now, anyway.

Cheers Karne:)

I did ask the judge that very same question actually, and he told us to write to him directly if they don't play ball. Not sure exactly what the enforcement options are though - its not like we can send the bailiff's down to their fiche archive really is it!

I've got a funny feeling they might contest the judgement though. We'll see.

Gary

Why not look up the data controllers name, i think they may be named on the ico register.

could be the court might order them to appear with your data or impose a sentence for non-compliance.

The court cannot do this without a name i believe.

Just a thought.

Glenn

PS glad you got the judgement

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

Had the allocation hearing today.

Abbey did'nt turn up - no letter from them even!

The judge seemed a little bit surprised that a Data Protection Act non compliance claim had been brought. He asked where we were given the advice that it was a matter for the courts, at which point I gave him a copy of the Information Commissioners Office guidelines - "bringing a DPA case to court". I gave him a quick background to the issues with Abbey and Microfiche and section 7 of the DPA, etc, and told him about the Information Commissioners Office inspection and its findings.

We got a judgement there and then! No damages though - apart from the £30 court fee and the cost of travel and parking, which was only about £10.

Basically, Abbey have been ordered to provide the microfiche within 14 days. That is unless they apply for a set-aside, which I would have thought is quite likely. So its good news - for now, anyway.

I`m not suprised that they did not turn up at court, Christmas seems to have thrown a very BIG spanner in the works for Abbey, their legal team is being stretched to the limit, especially as a number of them elected to take their full time off entitlement over the Xmas/New Year period.

It seems to be causing them to miss deadlines all over the place (including filing their AQ for my case, which was due in today, and it failed to turn up:lol: )

Well done for staying focused and winning this round, but my guess is they will proberbly apply for the set aside, so be prepared for that.

It would be interesting to see their argument for the set aside, especially as the court system is getting a bit fed up with the Abbey`s `abuse` of the court system, be great if the Judge is one of those who has been on the receiving end of Non Appearance of Abbey in the past few weeks/months, it might focus his mind on turning their apppeal down:eek:

Good Luck

VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE MY OWN - IF THEY HELP - PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Halifax - S.A.R - June 06

- Pre-Lim(£1665) July 06

- LBA - July 06

- MCOL - 15th Aug 06

- Acknowledged 18th Aug

- Settled IN FULL :eek:

- 2nd Claim Started - 12 Dec 2006

- SETTLED IN FULL:eek:

- 3rd Claim Started (Phone Call) 1st March 2007

Abbey National - S.A.R - 23/08/06

- Default Removal Letter sent 21st Sept

- LBA sent with Estimated Charges 4/10/06

- 2nd LBA 23/10/06

- N1 filed 9/11/06 - Deemed Served 16/11/06

- AQ & Draft Directions filed 19/12/06

- Court Hearing 22/3/07

- SETTLED IN FULL:o INCLUDING £5k COMPENSATION

Capital One - S.A.R. 10/10/06

Alliance & Leicester - Mortgage E/S/C Claim 02/03/07

• 2 weeks later...
Gary

Why not look up the data controllers name, i think they may be named on the Information Commissioners Office register.

could be the court might order them to appear with your data or impose a sentence for non-compliance.

The court cannot do this without a name i believe.

Just a thought.

Glenn

PS glad you got the judgement

Thanks Glenn,

if they don't come up with the statements then I'll include the name of the data controller in the letter to the judge.

We got the judgement through yesterday and it turns out the judge did order the damages after all.:D He did say he would'nt first of all, as what we claimed for was classed as costs, but looks like he changed his mind! Its only around £50, plus the £30 fee, but certainly better than nothing and its nice to get a little bit back for all the messing around Abbey have put us through.

Here's the judgement if anyones interested - http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r234/GaryH_bucket/AbbeyJudgement.jpg?t=1168172791

Thanks to you too Armsoft, we're still half expecting them to apply for a set-aside as well to be honest. I'll update if or when they do.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gary,

I seem to be following in your footsteps :eek:

Might need to ask for your support and guidance seeing as you've already been there! Nothing worse than treading on untrodden ground! I take my hat off to you!

Fairy

SENT Data Protection Act request letter + £10 fee

Posted:8 June 06 :p (nxt day special delivery)

1st response FROM Abbey (using microfiche arguement + ignoring Data Protection Act request)

Received:17 June 06 (no statements yet)

SENT Microfiche arguement letter (insisting on my original Data Protection Act request)

Posted:19 June 06 :p (nxt day special delivery)

14 statements received FROM Abbey

Received:22 June 06

Statements covering period:20 March 05-20 May 06

Course you can, Fairy.:) I've subscribed to your thread now, and I'll have a good look through it tommorrow.

I've got some news on this claim as well, I spoke to Inga on Friday. Haven't got time to go into detail now, but their sending the statements and a cheque for the damages as ordered by the judge.

Thats great news Gary! :D Thats one hurdle ay!

Fairy x

SENT Data Protection Act request letter + £10 fee

Posted:8 June 06 :p (nxt day special delivery)

1st response FROM Abbey (using microfiche arguement + ignoring Data Protection Act request)

Received:17 June 06 (no statements yet)

SENT Microfiche arguement letter (insisting on my original Data Protection Act request)

Posted:19 June 06 :p (nxt day special delivery)

14 statements received FROM Abbey

Received:22 June 06

Statements covering period:20 March 05-20 May 06

No sorry Karne, I never looked it up prior to my hearing. Was going to if I'd have had to enforce the judgement, but don't need to now - cheque for damages and microfiche statements arrived on Tuesday!:)

Apparently, after a conversation with Inga last Friday, the statements were actually sent 3 months ago but to our old address. Becouse of that, she want's me to sign a consent order which allows the set aside of the judgement. I can't really see any grounds to refuse - any thoughts?

That pretty much what I said to Inga on the phone Alan. Apart from the bit about sticking it anyway! Besides that, there was no letter at the court or anything at all from them, plus I left 2 messages for Inga to get back to me before Christmas (Re. which track they'd requested, as per your advice above) and was ignored.

Decision made then - they can stick it!

Are their any forseeable implications of refusing it though - presumably they'll apply to set-aside anyway without consent. In that case, would I have to contest it, or perhaps the judge would see my refusal as unreasonable seeing as I've got the statements and the cheque?