Heavy Handed Schools?

Number6
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6412 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I will wait and see what the school says in response to my email.

As far as I see it right now though, I and my son are being castigated for doing the "right thing" whilst the fatties and the couldn't-care-less's are being rewarded by "assistance" with their diet.

Pete

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

I honestly think that now-a-days bad parents are a minority, good parents are a minority & those stuck in the middle who try like heck but can't do right for doing worng (due to ever changing & conflicting advice) are the HUGE majority. If the schools & goverment would just butt out life'd be a lot easier all round.

When I'm queen it'll all be very different! ;)

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

Hope you get some sense back from em Pete.

Me too, but going on past responses I'm not too hopeful.

Mind you, they did put on a truly excellent and supremely well organised "Bonfire Nights" entertainment package on Friday night. I was well impressed as were the kids!

Pete

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

The school to not have the right to arbitrarily ban foodstuffs from lunchboxes. Then can do this after consultation with parents, or for new starters. In which case, such a ban must be clearly stated within the school rules and/or home-schooll agreement. IOW, by sending your child there, you agree to abide by the rules.

'Confiscated' items should be returned to the child or parent; usually at the end of the school day. If you are permanently deprived of them, then this is theft.

Two questions to ask:

1. If a child is deemed to have a lunch that is all 'banned' items, are they left to starve at lunchtime?
  2. Are all these 'banned' items also banned from the staffroom?

Does anyone actually know what happens to the confiscated food? I mean, I don't know about most but I'm on a strict budget - if I'm spending money on food for my (invisible :grin: ) child, only for it to be 'confiscated' by someone else...do they give the food back at the end of the day, thus rendering the whole scheme worthless, or keep it/bin it, in which case could be verging on the edge of theft, considering you weren't notified of the new regime...? Or do the teachers consider the kids their own private tuck shop? :lol:

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Right, sorry I've not posted back today. So many threads, such little time! ;)

I emailed the school to ask the actual situation, I also had a chat to the headmistress at the end of school today.

Apparently lunch boxes can contain whatever I would like to put in it.

It's only what the kids eat for their snack at morning break that comes under scrutiny. No crisps (or Hula Hoops, Skips, etc) or anything chocolatey. However, they can have crisps or chocolate at lunchtime :confused::confused:

I didn't have time after school to "discuss" this any further but I will.

Can anyone see the point of this? I can't.

Pete

Can anyone see the point of this? I can't.

I'll take a shot:

a) Lowering the overall amount per day consumed. Helps with the crips 'n' chocs at (or instead of) each meal brigade. Cuts down junk food consumption by half in a "subtle" manner.

b) Insulin production/exercise/fat storage: 15 mns break, large consumption of carbohydrates, little or no burning of said carbs. = Insulin slump by mid to late morning, lethargy, loss of concentration. Lunchtime = Longer break, supposedly more time to burn it off, and absorbed at the same time as the slower burning "fuel", means a better chance that not so much of it will end up as adipose tissue. By the time insulin slump hits, if at all, kids will be home, hopefully.

I'll take a shot:

a) Lowering the overall amount per day consumed. Helps with the crips 'n' chocs at (or instead of) each meal brigade. Cuts down junk food consumption by half in a "subtle" manner.

b) Insulin production/exercise/fat storage: 15 mns break, large consumption of carbohydrates, little or no burning of said carbs. = Insulin slump by mid to late morning, lethargy, loss of concentration. Lunchtime = Longer break, supposedly more time to burn it off, and absorbed at the same time as the slower burning "fuel", means a better chance that not so much of it will end up as adipose tissue. By the time insulin slump hits, if at all, kids will be home, hopefully.

Blimey!

There may be a point to it then?

thumbpop.gif

Pete

Bookworm beat me to it :-) You still have cause to complain, because you were not notified of the new regime, but cutting out eating sugar in the morning improves concentration for the overall day. So if a child eats a Mars Bar mid-morning, they're going to come down from the sugar high during a class, and doze off. Not just because it's Maths, either. ;-)

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Guest Battleaxe

This subject is close to my heart.

Our kids never had school dinners, there were none and hardly any schools in Australia and new Zealand do this, unless it is a boarding school.

The typical lunch box and I am going back quite a few years.

Two pieces of fruit, a snadwich or two, generally chicken or other meat with salad filling.

Morning tea, was piece of fruit and yoghurt with chilled milk

Afters, Orange Juice (from squeezed oranges and frozen over night) and a sandwich, or carrot fingers and celery with a small box of sultanas.

They went off to school, after a breakfast of cereal, boiled egg and soldiers and milk,

Dinner of an evening was meat or fish and three veg, followed by dessert.

Five kids, no dentist needed, all skinny as rakes and healthy as mallee bulls.

Homemade cake and biscuits reserved for when they came home, with the 'Mum, I 'm hungry'. |I also made my own bread. my daughter used to complain my car used smell like a baker as I used to prove the dough on the back ledge of the back seat. I worked full time - Army , Education Corps and hubby Navy.

The schools never allowed, crisps, fizzy drinks or anything else. Water was drink de rigour.

I would never have put a chocolate bar or anything sweet in their lunch boxes as I know what it is like to control a class room of hyped kids after they have in eaten a sugar loaded lunch.

Keep the sweet things for after school or weekends when they can run the excess energy off.

One of mine had dietary problems, but he surviveda and as he grew, he soon developed good eating habits.

My kids reckoned they were socially deprived. Rarely had take aways or fizzy drinks; have noticed my grandkids became socially deprived also with the same diet.

I would check with the school, as to their policy of confiscated food and ask for a copy of what they consider the ideal lunch box.

You are doomed if you do, and doomed if you don't.

You really don't want to get into a confrontation with the school about rights.

It would be better to have a quiet chat with the head, to try to understand what they are aiming to achieve. Once you're confident you understand what they're trying to do, you can make up your mind about whether or not you want to support it.

Food choices are largely a question of habit; and many (most?) of us have developed habits that we know are questionable. So, regardless of the issue of rights, it seems a shame to prevent the school conducting what could be an intersting exercise.

Tim

You really don't want to get into a confrontation with the school about rights.

It would be better to have a quiet chat with the head, to try to understand what they are aiming to achieve. Once you're confident you understand what they're trying to do, you can make up your mind about whether or not you want to support it.

Food choices are largely a question of habit; and many (most?) of us have developed habits that we know are questionable. So, regardless of the issue of rights, it seems a shame to prevent the school conducting what could be an intersting exercise.

Tim

I don't like confrontation at the best of times. It rarely solves things. That's why I asked opinions here first and sent an email to the school asking about their policy.

It would have been nice however if the school had notified me before imposing this. :(

Pete

Guest Battleaxe

It will be interesting to see what the school says Number 6.

You can be sure this happening elsewhere, with parents in a quandary, regarding what is healthy lunchbox.

Tim you are so right about food choices and habits.

I must admit I was amazed by the row of crisps on sale and we used to take our vistors to the local supermarket and count how many varieties of baked beans were on sale. I had never seen so many on sale in the one place.

My biggest peeve, the lack of butcher shps and fish shops. No not the local chippy. I also miss having my fish grilled, everything is battered. i was looked at stupidly when I asked if I could have my fish unbattered and not fried at the local chippy. the other I do miss, is the steak sandwich loaded with salad. have to make my own. This was the one takeaway I would allow my kids when I had control over what they ate.

Back to Number 6. Let us know what the response is from the Head.

My biggest peeve, the lack of butcher shps and fish shops. No not the local chippy. I also miss having my fish grilled, everything is battered. i was looked at stupidly when I asked if I could have my fish unbattered and not fried at the local chippy. the other I do miss, is the steak sandwich loaded with salad. have to make my own. This was the one takeaway I would allow my kids when I had control over what they ate.

Funny you should say this Battleaxe, I was saying to my hubby last night how I wish we had a local butcher & fish monger & fruit & veg shop. I live facing a very large Tesco's, yes it has a butchers section & fish section & plenty of fruit & veg but everything tastes the same. To be honest I can understand why some children don't want to eat fruit & veg as it all tastes the same. When was the last time we had a banana that tasted like a banana & everything is mass produced, force grown & full of chemicals. The little shops used to just sell what was in season & it tasted great.

All these fast food places are there to get to the kids, if I take my grandson in to town where do I take him for a bite to eat, all the cafes that sold proper meals have shut down to be replaced by Burger bars & fast food. He hates it as much as me and doesn't want that so we end up standing outside Greggs eating a sandwich.

We are in such a fast pace society that no one wants to just sit down anymore & taste what they are eating.

Guest Battleaxe

Julie1961,

this might sound strange and I don't want to hijack Number 6's thread. When we have the money we go up to Doncaster markets and buy our meat and fish in bulk. it is fresh and yes the butcher gives us a 15% discount and the meat is not imported, it is locally raised and killed. the fish comes from Grimsby and is so fresh.

we shop at the local market in Huntingdon for our fruit and vegies, it is seasonal, but I do have to admit if he has tropical fruit, I buy it. I am finding I am spending less this way and stay out of the supermarkets gimmick gottcha's. i go to Wilkinsons and buy when they have specials for my household cleaning, goods and shop around at the Co-Op for everything else. i am going to try the organic boxes advertised locally, but am wondering what i will get for my £20.00.

We also have a farmers market fortnightly, so am going to see what the local farmers offer, especially meat wise as trekking up to Yorkshire does kill a day for us. Still with the petrol and savings we make, we do come out ahead. i refuse to buy my meat in supermarkets, over priced and not as tasty.

Number 6 have you tried searching for "School lunch" on a search engine?

I know there are action groups like CAG set up specifically for this purpose.

Don't let the fatherless chillen get ya! :grin:

Barclays - settled in full £4799.38 ;)

Number 6, I can understand why they don't want the children to have chocolate at breaktime, 25 little darlings running wild for the rest of the morning after their sugar rush isn't really ideal! I would imagine they think the children have time to burn the chocolate and crisps off when they have their play after lunch.

One point I would raise with them is what they are doing with thier fruit rations. If they feel they should dictate what you can provide for morning snack they should perhaps consider using the said fruit for breaktime, saving you the expense of providing a snack which might not be allowed, and ensuring that children are encouraged to eat fruit.

Mr & Mrs Bigboy

14/09/06 - Prelim letter sent

15/09/06 - Prelim letters received in Leeds & Canary Wharf (our branch)

29/09/06- LBA Sent

02/10/06 - LBA's received in Leeds & Canary Wharf (our branch)

13/10/06 - Received part offer - rejected

16/10/06 - MCOL issued

The way I see it school is a place to learn, and lunchtime is still a part of that education. They should learn about healthy eating. It also helps teachers do their jobs. Behaviour and concentration dramatically improves when children have a healthy lunch.

My boys' school recently changed from nuggets, chips, squash (sugar free so particularly bad ) etc to using a consultancy service from an organic farm. They have a dinner lady school there. Last week we have a talk from Jeanette Orrey (who wrote the dinner lady book) and a taster evening. I left wanting more, it was very tasty and the children love it too. Casseroles, roast dinners, korma...etc Teacher raved about behaviour improvements and even better our school has the cheapest dinners in the area too despite being the healthiest.

I have 3 children and have worked out if you keep the junk away for say the first 3 years. Wean them on proper food, not jars of mush, then they know no different. When they try junk food they don't actually like it anyway! Their taste buds have evolved to like healthier food.

• 3 weeks later...

Both my children are fussy eaters. They enjoy most fruits but will not even look at veg although i could live on veg alone.

My 9yr old daughter was coming home from school each day starving. It turns out the dinner lady was putting veg completely over her lunch despite the fact my daughter told her she didn't like veg. Since when does anyone put veg over their food, I assumed most people put veg on the side of the plate. The dinner lady had made a sarcastic remark as she put the veg on the plate. Who is she to tell my child that she will eat the veg. I wanted to go and cause a stink but as my daughter is very shy and quiet she pleaded with me not to.

I will be the one who chooses what my children can and cannot eat. The Government seem to enjoy telling us what we can and cannot do/give our children. Its now getting extremely out of hand

just like to add my two penn'th as a teacher.

I have been a secondary school teacher for 2 years and what I've experienced in that time has made me dramatically change what I give my own 12 year old to eat.

I think the problem has much less to do with the child's ability to process food, then their weight or size. Eating sugary cereals, chocolate, crisps raised the blood sugar very quickly, but then it drops down again very quickly. With the fall in blood sugar level, the child's concentration is poor, and may then get irritable, fidgety and in some cases downright disruptive. I can pretty much tell which of the kids in my class are eating healthily and which are not.

During a morning assessent last Summer, one child was totally vile, moody and stroppy until break. Went out at break, had a sandwich and some fruit. Came back an entirely different child and produced a good piece of work...

Apple x