• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

DGIF1973 - Natwest Diary

dgif1973
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6505 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

NatWest have failed to fully respond to my DPA request, they have only sent partial statements for one account. I have sent off my LBA today by fax and sent a copy by recorded delivery. If I have to file a claim at the County Court, what are reasonable expenses I can claim. I've made several phone calls to them and sent faxes, all from work though so it has cost me nothing. Theres postage I suppose but nothing else.

NatWest-

Data Protection Act Request sent 12/04 (Statements arrived 09/06/06!!!!!!!!!)

Parachute Account Created 25/04

Preliminary Letter Sent 09/06/06 reply received 14/06/06

LBA Sent 14/06/06 reply received 20/06/06

Moneyclaim request issued 27/06/06

Defence arrived 29/07/06

Offer of 50% from Cobbetts 03/08/06

Settled in full 23/08/06

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The quesiton of costs was being discussed in another thread but I forget which one.

You can definitely claim your moneyclaim fees, anything else is up to the Judge if it's in small claims but usually nothing else is covered. You can't claim legal fees or most other costs, so postage and time spent on the case isn't covered.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

The following section if from the DPA Non-Compliance - Particulars of claim template.

"6. The damage (and distress) caused is:

Extra costs incurred in addition to court costs, due to the Defendants failure to comply - this includes the cost of additional correspondence and time spent preparing documents and seeking legal advice, I estimate this cost to be £..........."

What I am looking for is information as to what is a reasonable amount to claim for damage on my claim for their failure to comply with my DPA request. The costs I have incurred amount to pence really so what amount should I put for damages? I have not sought any legal advice so can't claim for this, will the courts laugh if I ask for £10 in damages?

NatWest-

Defence arrived 29/07/06

Settled in full 23/08/06

The following section if from the DPA Non-Compliance - Particulars of claim template.

"6. The damage (and distress) caused is:

Extra costs incurred in addition to court costs, due to the Defendants failure to comply - this includes the cost of additional correspondence and time spent preparing documents and seeking legal advice, I estimate this cost to be £..........."

What I am looking for is information as to what is a reasonable amount to claim for damage on my claim for their failure to comply with my DPA request. The costs I have incurred amount to pence really so what amount should I put for damages? I have not sought any legal advice so can't claim for this, will the courts laugh if I ask for £10 in damages?

The following within the template answers your question...

Add any further things that can be clearly quantifiable, and to which you can provide proof.

Please be aware that claims for distress are only available where the distress is caused by the quantifiable damage. You would usually need professional evidence in support. If you are intending to go down this route it is vital you contact us before proceeding.

I hope this helps.

Vamp.:)

[

Sorry that doesn't really answer my question, I have read the template several times. I mentioned phone calls and postage costs. These won't of costed more that £10, is this an ok amount to put down for damages? Can I seriously go to court asking for £10 in damages?

NatWest-

Defence arrived 29/07/06

Settled in full 23/08/06

Still no further statements or Manual Intervention information. Sent a LBA regarding failure to comply with DPA. Will send them another letter giving them 7 days I think to be polite, is it possible to raise a claim on Moneyclaim for failure to comply with DPA even though I will only be claiming back court costs?

NatWest-

Defence arrived 29/07/06

Settled in full 23/08/06

Decided not to give them another 7 days, I've got proof now that my letter from 11th April was received as they have cashed my original cheque for £10.

Could someone answer the following questions, Alex Lyons who failed to provide all my DPA information is based in Natwest Scotland, you can only claim on address in England in Wales using moneclaim online so do I need to go to the courts and fill out N1 form using the Scotland address. Do I put Alex Lyons as the defendant on my claim or actually the Natwest Bank with a London address. If I use the London address can I then use moneyclaim online?

Could someone have a read over my claim and give me some feedback.

PARTICULARS OF CLAIM

1. The Defendant is a Data Controller within the meaning of the Data Protection Act and is responsible for the processing of data of which the Claimant is a Subject.

2. The Claimant has accounts numbered XXXXXXXX & XXXXXXXX ("the Accounts") with the Defendant which was opened on or around 1987.

3. On 11/04/2006the Claimant sent a Subject Access Request, pursuant to Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 to the Defendant.

4. The Defendant has failed to comply.

5. By virtue of the Defendant's failure to comply with the Subject Access Request the Claimant has suffered damage.

6. The damage caused is: £10

Extra costs incurred in addition to court costs, due to the Defendants failure to comply - this includes the cost of additional correspondence and time spent preparing documents, I estimate this cost to be £40.

I sent the maximum fee for a Data Protection Act disclosure request for £10 on 11/04/2006, which was cashed on 26/05/2006, it was denied that this payment had ever been received so a further payment was requested from Natwest for £5, this was sent on 03/05/2006 and cashed on 24/05/2006.

7. The Claimant seeks an order that the Defendant do comply with the Claimant's Subject Access Request

8. Under the terms of Section 15(2) of the Data Protection Act 1998, where the Defendant contests that information requested under the Claimant's Subject Access Request is not included within the scope of Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998, the Claimant requests that the Court inspects that information, and where it finds that the Defendant's opinion is unfounded, that it orders such information be included within the information supplied to the Claimant under the Subject Access Request.

9. Damages and costs within the discretion of the Court.

I believe that the contents of these particulars of claim are true

Signed:

Date:

NatWest-

Defence arrived 29/07/06

Settled in full 23/08/06

As you have received a part of the information you requested, you should use template number 2. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6986

This is a bit different to the letter you have shown here in your post.

Thanks for that but I have already sent them that letter 8 days ago, am now wanting to raise a claim agains them for Non-compliance, so if anyone would be able to assist with answering my questions, here they are again: -

Decided not to give them another 7 days, I've got proof now that my letter from 11th April was received as they have cashed my original cheque for £10.

Could someone answer the following questions, Alex Lyons who failed to provide all my DPA information is based in Natwest Scotland, you can only claim on address in England in Wales using moneclaim online so do I need to go to the courts and fill out N1 form using the Scotland address. Do I put Alex Lyons as the defendant on my claim or actually the Natwest Bank with a London address. If I use the London address can I then use moneyclaim online?

Could someone have a read over my claim and give me some feedback.

PARTICULARS OF CLAIM

1. The Defendant is a Data Controller within the meaning of the Data Protection Act and is responsible for the processing of data of which the Claimant is a Subject.

2. The Claimant has accounts numbered XXXXXXXX & XXXXXXXX ("the Accounts") with the Defendant which was opened on or around 1987.

3. On 11/04/2006the Claimant sent a Subject Access Request, pursuant to Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 to the Defendant.

4. The Defendant has failed to comply.

5. By virtue of the Defendant's failure to comply with the Subject Access Request the Claimant has suffered damage.

6. The damage caused is: £10

Extra costs incurred in addition to court costs, due to the Defendants failure to comply - this includes the cost of additional correspondence and time spent preparing documents, I estimate this cost to be £40.

I sent the maximum fee for a Data Protection Act disclosure request for £10 on 11/04/2006, which was cashed on 26/05/2006, it was denied that this payment had ever been received so a further payment was requested from Natwest for £5, this was sent on 03/05/2006 and cashed on 24/05/2006.

7. The Claimant seeks an order that the Defendant do comply with the Claimant's Subject Access Request

8. Under the terms of Section 15(2) of the Data Protection Act 1998, where the Defendant contests that information requested under the Claimant's Subject Access Request is not included within the scope of Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998, the Claimant requests that the Court inspects that information, and where it finds that the Defendant's opinion is unfounded, that it orders such information be included within the information supplied to the Claimant under the Subject Access Request.

9. Damages and costs within the discretion of the Court.

I believe that the contents of these particulars of claim are true

Signed:

Date:

NatWest-

Defence arrived 29/07/06

Settled in full 23/08/06

You can't raise a DPA non-compliance claim using MCOL, it has to be N1 through your local court.

The defendant is the institution, not the individual.

Much obliged, appreciate the info

You can't raise a DPA non-compliance claim using MCOL, it has to be N1 through your local court.

The defendant is the institution, not the individual.

NatWest-

Defence arrived 29/07/06

Settled in full 23/08/06

• 2 weeks later...

My statements finally arrived after nearly 2 months, one set of them in a torn tatty brown envelope. Also have a faxed copy of letter with statement about Manual Intervention. Totaled everything up and my claim amount is £1984.50. Perliminary letter sent today.

NatWest-

Defence arrived 29/07/06

Settled in full 23/08/06

Just received standard naff off from Stuart Higley. Letter Before action will be in the post this evening

NatWest-

Defence arrived 29/07/06

Settled in full 23/08/06

Best of luck, dude.

DPA Letter received by NatWest 11/04/2006

DPA Request expires 21/05/2006

Statements received 15/05/2006

LBA sent 15/05/2006

If you find me vaguely coherent, click the scales.

• 2 weeks later...

Second reply issued from Mr Higley saying no chance! Have filed with moneyclaim approx £2000 plus interest plus costs. Can't believe I'm finally at this stage.

NatWest-

Defence arrived 29/07/06

Settled in full 23/08/06

Crikey, they appear to be speeding up. My claim has been acknowledged by Natwest today 3 days after I submitted it. So I guess the next stage for me will be when I get sent my allocation questionaire.

NatWest-

Defence arrived 29/07/06

Settled in full 23/08/06

Good luck!

Don't be surprised if their solicitors write to you in the interim trying to test your knowledge and understanding and intimidate you by requesting further information under CPR section 18 and threatening that basically your claim is not clear and they will therefore request that the judge throw it out. They tried that with me and others as i have read in their threads, but BankFodder and others told me that CPR section 18 does not apply to small claims. I therefore sent them a letter telling them that i knew this and refusing to supply the info on these grounds. It was after we had completed our allocation questionnaires and after receiving a partial offer and more intimidation about the fact that i should withdraw my claim as it wouldn't stand up in court, that i received a cheques from them for the full amount!!

Soldier on. It looks like you're a person that doesn't take any proverbial anyway

• 4 weeks later...

Well got their defence today. 28 days was up today. They are requesting more information under CPR Part 18. Pretty much all the information I supplied to Natwest in the first place. Does anyone have the text they used to tell Corbetts to sling their hook? I'm Lazy I know. Can I simply just say CPR does not apply to Small Claims court so I will not be supplying you with the requested information?

Thanks

NatWest-

Defence arrived 29/07/06

Settled in full 23/08/06

Is this the one.......?

Dear Sir or Madam:

Claim No:

I Acknowledge the receipt of the defence posted on behalf of National Westminster Bank plc.

I am not prepared at this stage to answer the CPR Part 18 Request. I anticipate that the claim will be allocated to the small claims track and would not then expect to have to deal with a Part 18 request since these are specifically excluded under Part 27 unless the court specifically orders me to do so of its own initiative

Furthermore I consider that the CPR part 18 request is intimidatory and I intend to bring the intimidation to the notice of the court. However, for clarity, I confirm the charges I am claiming were applied to the following account:

Account Name:

Account number:

Sort Code:

Please also find enclosed a breakdown of all charges I am claiming.

Yours sincerely

Won....:D:D:D...£3778.50

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back after a long weekend away. Cobbetts have written to me twice, firstly to say that I have neglected to give them my account details and a list of charges. I have supplied this info to Natwest twice and to Cobbets with my response to their Part 18 Request last week. The second letter is offering me half of what I'm claiming back as a gesture of goodwill. Will construct an appropriate response tonight. Also received my allocation questionnaire from the courts. I have until the 19th to submit this.

NatWest-

Defence arrived 29/07/06

Settled in full 23/08/06

much the same as here, my AQ has to be in by the 20th.

Since Natwest supplied you with all your info in the first place, it`s unlikely Cobbetts haven`t got a copy already.

Have a look at this reply I saw on here (not mine I may add) but very interesting:

Then when Cobbetts have earnt ten times more in fees just reading your claim, they have a huge workload to defend it. When the also try on the part 18 request, you send them your version:

Please find my request pursuant to CPR part 18 you are asked to respond by xxxxxx 2006. (the same date they ask you for your answers)

* In relation to each and every breach by the Claimant which resulted in a charge being levied as confirmed by the Defendant in its Defence please provide full details (with all relevant supporting documentation) of:

a) any letters, telephone calls, or incidents of manual intervention into the account in respect of each and every charge claimed by the Claimant in the Particulars of Claim;

b) how charges are applied to the account (whether automatically or by some other means) and when;

c) the Defendant’s assessment of the cost to it of sending any letter making any telephone call or otherwise administering the account, with details of how the cost to the Defendant is calculated and what items of expense are included, or such other costs as are foreseeable in the context of contractual damages and the remoteness thereof and which can be specifically identified and defined and which can be reasonably attributed to each and every breach on the part of the Claimant;

d) the justifiably objective principles upon which all such costs are calculated and result in the specific level of each charge levied by the bank in respect of each of the breaches which resulted in the charges now claimed by the Claimant.

2. Where the Defendant avers that the charges are applied in return for the provision of a banking service to the Claimant:

a) Please identify each and every such service referred to in the defendant’s terms and conditions and identify the charges, by reference to those terms and conditions, that the Claimant is required to pay for each service identified.

b) Please confirm what steps are taken by the defendant in providing the alleged services referred to in the defence. Please provide copies of all notes, memoranda, or other information retained by the defendant to demonstrate the provision of the alleged services to the Claimant.

c) Please confirm whether charges are applied automatically.

Please note however, I consider that upon allocation this case will be referred to the Small Claims Track, accordingly I consider your CPR Part 18 request to be intimidatory as Part 18 would not apply. Having been in touch with other Nat West claimants I am aware of your recently devised tactics and attempts to cause claimants in person to give up. I shall not be responding to your requests designed to intimidate. I shall of course respond to the order of the Court leaving the matters to be settled by the court.

Yours faithfully

Won....:D:D:D...£3778.50

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6505 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks