Advice Following Repairs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4044 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Towards the end of last year we had to have major repairs done on our vehicleresulted in a new engine being installed. After pick up the car was running like a dream. Prior to going in the pull handle to open the bonnet was faulty but this was replaced/repaired during the engine install.

Approx two weeks after pick traveling home one night during windy conditions the bonnet flew open hitting the windscreen causing the windscreen to break, the bonnet was wrecked and minor damage to the roof. This was then sent along by the insurance company for assessment. The outcome was that the clip holding the bonnet was faulty/eroded and not capable of holding the bonnet shut.

My question is - shouldn't the garage installing and working on the new engine etc and doing the repairs at that time have noticed that this clip was on the way out and have had a duty to replace it?

Any advice on this would be grateful? To say that I am extremely frustrated as we now have another problem and it looks like costing us a small fortune which we don't have is causing me endless worry. Unfortunately we need the vehicle for traveling to work.

Nope. It's been ok for 3 months.why would they have spotted it when it's your car and yet you didn't spot it? (presumably you top up the oil, water, screenwash etc)

They replaced the cable / pull handle at your request, but why are they liable for a rusty clip?

And why is something always someone else's fault?

I think you'll be very lucky to get anywhere with this one, although I am sorry that the bonnet flew open as I've had that happen and it's disconcerting to say the least.

Towards the end of last year we had to have major repairs done on our vehicleresulted in a new engine being installed. After pick up the car was running like a dream. Prior to going in the pull handle to open the bonnet was faulty but this was replaced/repaired during the engine install.

Approx two weeks after pick traveling home one night during windy conditions the bonnet flew open hitting the windscreen causing the windscreen to break, the bonnet was wrecked and minor damage to the roof. This was then sent along by the insurance company for assessment. The outcome was that the clip holding the bonnet was faulty/eroded and not capable of holding the bonnet shut.

My question is - shouldn't the garage installing and working on the new engine etc and doing the repairs at that time have noticed that this clip was on the way out and have had a duty to replace it?

Any advice on this would be grateful? To say that I am extremely frustrated as we now have another problem and it looks like costing us a small fortune which we don't have is causing me endless worry. Unfortunately we need the vehicle for traveling to work.

what sort off car is it? a renault by any chance.

To an untrained eye the clip appeared fine whereas to professionals it may look very different, and no we did not ask for the handle to be replaced. It wasn't ok for three months it was approx two weeks after it left the garage that the bonnet flew open. We collected the car at the end of November and the bonnet flew open around 8 December!!!! (Fingers weren't typing in sync with brain on original post)