• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

work programme after 2 years

bcham
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3387 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

the Jobseekers Agreement was changed to allow for the 'Commitments Booklet' (SEE a few pages back for the pictures!

You shouldn't have been given any booklet to fill in:

There are no forms or questionnaires that Work Programme completers will be asked to complete by Jobcentre Plus staff. Therefore a benefit sanction could not be imposed in this respect.
This is from a FOI response from the DWP (sorry I can't post the link I don't have enough posts yet).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but I have yet to find a job to ring about (unless they want me to just ring up random companies to see if jobs are available ) which would annoy places that are not looking for workers if we all rang up each week

It certainly does annoy employers but that is exactly what the Jobcentre expect you to do!

oh Alfie, my advisor immediately said without any provocation from me or any form for that matter, for example history, "I can if I want too, have you come down here everyday"!

Which is just purely malicious; 1. I live miles away from the Jobcentre, I live in an area with poor transportation which I cant afford anyway, so walk the 4miles to get to the Jobcentre.

2. What possible rational reason is there to have someone come in everyday, what would be the point other than malice!?

Dom86, if you are attending the Jobcentre on a day that is not your normal signing day you can claim all reasonable transport costs. And the nasty comment your adviser said to you is why you should record every meeting you have with the Jobcentre staff.

The reason they want you in every day is because it wears you down and they hope that will make you sign off benefits. But it also stops those skivers who are actually working cash in hand, but not telling the Jobcentre about it, from continuing to do so.

Travelling to the Jobcentre everyday though would be a timely ordeal too, and would cut time for more productive things during that time, job searching, study, etc.

Everything you do has to be reasonable in your circumstances and cutting hours from your daily job search by having to waste it on travel time clearly isn't. Tell them that.

If you leave out the 'www.' bit you should be able to put the link up as ordinary text and we can add it in ourselves. This is a very useful bit of information which we can use against the JC if they ask us to fill in forms.

OK: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/165970/response/403624/attach/html/3/Response%202830.pdf.html

Hey guys/gals as I have posted before I am now back at the JCP have had to register on Universal Job match as part of my new JSA agreement, I didn't tick the box to let them view my activity (although I have done all the job search requirements they have asked of me) at my last signing (yesterday) they tried to check my activity and as it was set to private I was told that they couldn't check that I had done what they asked of me and that by next time I sign on I should tick the box that allows them to view, now I know everyone's reasons why to not tick the box and I don't really want to let them spy on me all the time what I am wondering today is could I tick the box the morning I sign on so they can see I have done what I needed to do then un tick when I return home so they can't keep check or once you tick box does it disappear and you can't change it???? Thank you in advance for any replies :-)

Why bother with that just quote their own regulations to them: "82. We cannot specify to a JSA claimant how they provide us with records of their jobsearch activity and Universal Jobmatch will not change this – it is not therefore possible to require JSA claimants to give DWP access to their Universal Jobmatch account."

From: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/165908/response/410266/attach/html/5/Chapter%2003%20Using%20Universal%20Jobmatch.pdf.html

Thanks for posting the copy. Interesting format - and some of the information required (such as email address on page 2 for UJM) is likely to be in conflict with Data Protection Legislation.

However, can you rescan the document, and post an enlarged copy. Unfortunately, some of the text is indistinct.

Thanks

I can't read the form at all but you certainly do not have to give them your email address. This FOI response from the DWP also makes it clear that there should be no forms to fill in: "There are no forms or questionnaires that Work Programme completers will be asked to complete by Jobcentre Plus staff."

From: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/165970/response/403624/attach/html/3/Response%202830.pdf.html

It's interesting that the DWP claim in the FOI that returners won't be asked to complete any forms then I get sent a form to complete!

This is just the usual disconnect between the people who make the rules (the DWP) and the people who implement them (the Jobcentre managers). Some people were being made to fill in a booklet from the discredited nudge unit! :-(

By the way the two jpgs show as blank pages on my computer and the original version was tiny and I couldn't zoom into it! Must be a peculiarity with my computer.

Depending on the candidate, potential options to minimise the risk of being conscripted would be i) to contact a local FE College to assess part time education - some courses are free, ii) explore distance learning options related to your job/career interests, iii) explore Self Employment (and identify local courses).

I tried that today at the Jobcentre. I strolled in with my 3 month part time course details and asked if I could do it. I was told I wouldn't be able to arrange it until I'd officially finished the WP (fair enough), so I'd have to discuss it with my PWPS adviser! Darn it, I just know they're going to refuse as that would give me an opt out of MWA. :mad2:

I still think the prize for 'Most Ridiculous DWP Question' is the one on your initial benefit application form asking you about your savings, etc, where they ask if you have any cash lying around at home.. I defy anyone to answer that one truthfully!

It does make you wonder what goes through the heads of the DWP bean counters doesn't it? How exactly do they imagine they would ever find out if you did have some cash at home if you denied it on the form? In a world of their own. :roll:

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the info - I'm not sure I want to **** them off so they treat me like a 'special case' for special attention as that might work against me !

Going in every day for two weeks! You already are a special case.

It will be a mistake for you to sign up to UJM as once you've done it that's it, there's no going back.

The Jobcentre cannot mandate you to give them your CV, telephone number or, importantly, your email address. And, as the Government Gateway and UJM both require an email for registration, they can't force you to register.

I think that is croydon standard procedure - I live up the road so it's bearable for 2 weeks - just.

This states you Have to sign up to UJM & create a profile and public CV - Am I Wrong ?

"51. Where you have explained the benefits to claimants of creating a profile

and public CV in Universal Jobmatch and they will not do so willingly, they

can be mandated to create a profile and public CV. "

Iwill not give them the email I used for this though and make my cv without personal details and print out jobs I've applied for.

This is policy, it is not backed up by ANY legislation. Note that they do not say you WILL be made to register because they know the legislation is not in place to do that (if you doubt this ask yourself why there is a tick box on the JSAg to agree to register with UJM and not a straight statement that you WILL register with UJM!). It's a game of chicken where the first one to give loses.

Here's the only legislation that supports the creation of an "online profile":

The Welfare Reform Act 2012, chapter 2, section 17(3)© states:

(3) Action which may be specified under subsection (1)(b) includes in particular—

creating and maintaining an online profile.

Now you'll note that there is absolutely no mention of UJ. So, if you have an "online profile" with any other job search website you have met the legal requirements of the Act. This is one of the reasons I have given to successfully avoid being mandated to register with UJ.

However, while it is true that you cannot be made to give your email address, using that as a reason for not registering with UJM is, as far as I know, untested in practise. Logic dictates though that if you cannot be mandated to give your email and you cannot register with UJM without giving your email, then you cannot be mandated to register with UJM! :-(

Everything you are asked to do by the Jobcentre has to be reasonable in your circumstances. If you argue that UJM does not in any way improve your chances of finding work compared to that which you already do it is unreasonable and they cannot mandate you to register with it.

Edited by JustInterested

Daily signing esp. at random times seems to be petty and vindictive and very if little to do with offering genuine help.

It has three main designs.

First, it prevents people they think are working and claiming benefit from working and second, it wears the jobseeker down in the hope they will sign off benefits and third, it increases the chances of them sanctioning you for being late or failing to do some required task. In other words it is IDS' dream.

None of it is designed to help jobseekers into work.

Edited by honeybee13

They are now looking at putting me on a 13 week "Idiot" 9-5 full time course in the jobcentre

Wow! That is brutal! I think that's the worst punishment I've seen so far from any Jobcentre. Do you have any more details of the "course"? Do you actually mean it will be run at the Jobcentre?

As I said before - IT is NOT a Punishment

3 months of a full time course that will be more of the usual nonsense they try to peddle as help - by any definition that is a punishment. You have to understand that everything they do is designed to wear you down and get you to sign off benefits!

This should interest a few people:

A3. Claimants will not be mandated to use IADs available in Jobcentre Plus offices and

will, therefore, not be sanctioned if they refuse to use them. Use of IADs by claimants is

voluntary. :lol:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/173127/response/422728/attach/html/3/FOI3884%20Gazz%20WDTK%20Reply.pdf.html

• 2 weeks later...

Lorise if you want to record your interviews you have that right but they must provide a private room for you to do it in so that you don't record other jobseeker's private information. You'll find they are far less bossy and give far less BS when they are being recorded! :sad:

And you don't have to apply for any job under 24 hours:

34424 of the DM guide - sanctions (http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dmgch34.pdf)

...if a claimant refuses or fails to apply for or accept employment that is for less than 24 hours a

week, the claimant will have good cause.

So they can't sanction you for not accepting a job under 24 hours, assuming you have not restricted your hours of availability below 40.

Just noticed this FOI response regarding the need for the JC to retain your jobsearch evidence so I thought I'd post it here. A little bit more knowledge and power for us.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/can_jobcentre_plus_keep_a_copy_o

Apparently the JC can retain our jobsearch evidence if they have a 'business need'

That may be so but it doesn't change the fact that you are perfectly entitled to give your job search evidence orally. So they can retain whatever they personally write down from what you tell them but you don't have to give them anything in writing! :-)

• 4 weeks later...
Is this from the jobcentre? Did they give you a choice? Do you know much about the company contacting you?

The jobcentre refers you to the MWA provider and then the rest is up to the provider. You are given no choice in what they put you on. The providers are pretty much the same as the WP providers and the call will have been from one of those.

Thank you for your help and advice,

I was just unsure why they needed it as the module I am doing is to learn how to fill in job applications

Presumably it'll be filling in job apps on UJM. If you want the path of least resistance all you have to do is make a new UJM account with a throw-away email address and use that account just for this course.