• Tweets

• If it's Statute Barred and haven't made any payments towards it then send them a letter from the Library.
    • Hi 👋  I've received an out of the blue letter from Intrum saying they've passed a historic debt to Resolvecall who will be visiting our property if we don't get in touch.  I am certain this is statute barred and designed to scare us.  Do we ignore it?
    • 1) You can call them judge 2) I would say something to the line of "The Claimant needs to prove I was driving. I don't accept or deny being driving." 3) Yes I will see if I can find out for you now  
    • Hi All, I've just had the inevitable N24 and other paperwork arrive. I've read other examples on here and I think I understand the steps to follow. I have until the 28th May to return the N180 Small Claims Direction Questionnaire, I also have an N244 Application notice copy. I read an update on a case you kindly put a link in for me to read. Turns out they lost in court and are now struggling. I really don't want to get to that stage and am thinking mediation may be the way forward? Thoughts please? Pretty sure I've missed the 7 days to have the order set aside.  For reference, this is what I received: Dated 8th May Before Deputy District Judge Baker sitting at the Civil National Business Centre, 4th Floor St Katharine's House, 21-27 St Katharine's Street, Northampton, NN1 2LH   The Court will deal with the application to lift the stay without hearing under CPR 23.8(c)   It is ordered that:   The Application to lift the stay and for direction questionnaires to be issued is granted.   Because this Order has been made without a hearing, the parties have the right to apply to have the Order set aside, varied or stayed. A party making such an application must send or deliver the application to the court (together with any appropriate fee) to arrive within seven days of service of this Order. If the application is one which requires a hearing, and   a) the party making the application is the Defendant; and b) the Defendant is an individual,   then upon the filing of the application the claim will be transferred to the Defendant's home court. In all other cases requiring a hearing the claim will be transferred to the preferred court.  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Abbey Letter Sent

jannercobbler
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1898 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok Letter sent via Email and awaiting Posting via Registered Post in the Morning.

Lets see what response I get to this.

I decided to remove a counter offer as at no time did they agree to remove the defaults, as can be seen in the letter above I have specifically asked for this in the original claim. and I believe this should happen.

So now its waiting time again, the court date is just over 4 weeks away so time is ticking.

Paul

If my posts have helped you please use the scales at the top of my posts :)

Any opinions from Jannercobbler are strictly my own and I have no affiliation with any group or services.

The two most beautiful words in the English Language are "Cheque Enclosed" - Dorothy Parker

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/399-abbey-letter-sent.html

Me v Abbey - £3000 + Int + Costs + Credit File Cleaned.

LBA Sent 12/3/06

Court Claim started - 31/5/2006

Allocation Questionnaire Filed - 24/7/06

Court Date allocated 31/10/2006

Me v Citi-Cards - CCA Sent 27/07/06

Me v Citi-Cards - Data Protection Act Sent 03/08/06

Me v Capital One - Data Protection Act Sent 03/08/06

Me v Hillesden Securities - CCA Sent 03/08/06

Me v Hillesden Securities - DPA Sent 03/08/06

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

many thanks for the vote of confidence Bev, wish you luck in your case, please feel free to use what you need from my thread and I hope it helps.

Paul

Any opinions from Jannercobbler are strictly my own and I have no affiliation with any group or services.

The two most beautiful words in the English Language are "Cheque Enclosed" - Dorothy Parker

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/399-abbey-letter-sent.html

LBA Sent 12/3/06

many thanks Bish, I hope you remembered to state in your claim that you require the REMOVAL of all Defaults / Status markers from your credit file as part of the settlement.

I feel this will be the sticking point in my claim.

Paul.

LBA Sent 12/3/06

I have now amended my claim to include contractual interest and so opened myself up to Abbey turning up at court.

This fight will go all the way.

Paul

LBA Sent 12/3/06

Here's todays letter from our new found friends at DLA

Please submit your thoughts / suggestions. Would like to get an email back to them today. Everything in Red are my thoughts

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Dear Sir

xxxxxxxxx COUNTY COURT - CLAIM NO: xxxxxxxxx

Further to your letter dated 21 September 2006, we respond as follows:

Interest

The only implied term regarding interest is the statutory one of 8% under s.69 of the County Courts Act 1984. We restate that "mutuality and reciprocity" are not implied terms in a negotiated written contract but are requirements of the equitable right of 'set-off. (I think they need to learn about mutality)

In any case, as this higher rate of interest was not included in your particulars of claim you will have to make an application to amend your particulars of claim before the hearing. (So glad they informed me of what to do, oops I have already amended my claim :) ) We feel that were you to make such an application you would be unsuccessful and it would only succeed in extending these proceedings further. (I have waited 8 months so far and it may be succesful)

Default Notices

Our client will not remove the notices on your account because they were properly entered when you breached the conditions of your account. Our client is willing to note that the notices are satisfied upon the conclusion of this matter but will oppose the removal of these notices at trial. (The account is in dispute)

Payment

After inquiries of our client we note that you are currently overdrawn by £xxxx.xx. (This means Abbey have added another £326 of charges, since I begun this action and I have proof of previous Balance and no access to the account.) Our clients collection department is currently holding any action pending the resolution of your claim. (I should hope so, therefore why are they still marking my credit files.) In these circumstances paying you the whole amount by cheque would be a double recovery on your behalf as the above monies are still owing to our client. (Surely it's upto me to decide when I pay it back?)

However, our client is willing to offer the following settlement on a without prejudice basis. Refund your bank charges of £3,055.54 and interest at 8% on your claim being £747.85 up to and including the day of settlement being 17 October 2006 and your court fees of £220.00 making a total of £4,023.39. (They're persistant with the 8% interest)

Our client offers to pay the money as follows: £xxxx.xx will be paid into your account and the remaining £xxxx.xx will be sent by cheque to your address on 17 October 2006 (this is 14 days prior to going to court (court Bundles due by this date also) therefore the funds won't be clear until at least 23 October) to prevent double recovery and any further proceedings our client will have to bring to recover the £xxxx.xx outstanding on your account

In conclusion, therefore, we are offering to you the sum of £4,023.82 and satisfaction notices placed against your existing default notices in full and final settlement of your claim, but of course without any admission of legal liability by Abbey. If you are prepared to agree this, please confirm this to us in writing by signing and returning the additional copy of this letter. (Not likely as Abbey have added more charges and I want them back also )

Should you choose to reject this offer our client will pay the monies in the above manner on 17 October 2006. (So tough luck this is what i'm getting anyway like it or not) We will notify the Court of this payment and contest the removal of the default notices and oppose any application you may make for a higher sum of interest. (So will they attend court finally)

We believe that this is a fair offer of settlement and will avoid any further expense and time on both our parts. (Thats your opinion not mine)

We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

LBA Sent 12/3/06

• 2 weeks later...

ok as Abbey have changed Solicitors here is my response to the last letter I received from DLA

Without Prejudice

Ref xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxxx.xx

I am in receipt of your letter dated 27th September 2006, and note the contents; however the offer still does not fully satisfy my claim against your client Abbey National PLC (“Abbey”) and as such is not acceptable. However I will accept it as a partial settlement.

Interest

On the matter of contractual interest I have submitted an application to amend my claim with the Courts. I believe that there is an implied term and as such I am entitled to charge Abbey Contractual Interest on the amount that they have borrowed from me without my authorisation, currently 28.7%. Should Abbey wish to defend this claim then I invite them to attend Court.

Default Notices

Abbey has been submitting wrongful information to the credit reference Agencies as you have clearly stated in your letter which I thank you for being so succinctly, that the Account has been placed on hold pending the outcome of this claim. Therefore satisfied notices are not acceptable, and only complete removal will suffice.

Payment

I have noted your comments that Abbey currently state that I am overdrawn by £x,xxx,xx

According to my records, I have had no access to this account since Late March; I am also in possession of my Annual investor Statement that clearly states an overdrawn balance as at 5th April 2006 of £x,xxx.xx, which is attached, Therefore Abbey have added further charges of £326.62 to my account and as such I will require the reversal of these charges. Should Abbey be unwilling to reverse these charges I will begin a separate action to reclaim them.

Conclusion

My claim remains £3,055.54 in charges, £2,648.00 interest at the Unauthorised Contractual Rate of 28.7% plus court costs £220, total £5923.54 as at 2nd October 2006.

I would like to re-iterate that interest will continue to accrue on the charges at 28.7% until settlement or actual judgement.

I have also noted from your letter that you state that Abbey will ‘pay’ the amount they are currently offering whether I accept or not on 17th October 2006. Although, this will be issued via cheque, on this date, I am sure you are aware that this is the date that Court bundles must be submitted, subsequently, therefore I look forward to receiving Abbeys’ calculations and documents as I am sure that Abbey will submit a detailed report of how they arrive at the amounts they charge, and as such, I therefore look forward to receiving this information and all the documents you intend to rely on in defending this claim.

As previously stated should Abbey ‘pay’ monies as you have indicated, I will inform the courts of this payment and I will accept this as partial settlement of my claim only. However, I will continue my action for the removal of the default / status markers and for Contractual Interest, and as such you / Abbey will need to submit documents showing you intend to rely on in defending this claim and the calculations for charges prior to the above date.

I can assure you that any offer from yourselves or Abbey will only be accepted as partial payment and my action will continue without any conditions attached to it, i.e. full and final, and without liability, should Abbey wish to offer a Settlement without conditions then Please contact me otherwise I look forward to meeting you / Abbey in Court.

I have also dispatched this letter via email.

Lets see what the new Solicitors say as they have less than 10 days to settle, before Court bundles are due.

Paul

LBA Sent 12/3/06

Well nothing heard from Abbey as of yet or their new Solicitors, Oh well only 6 days to go till Court Bundles need to be in.

Paul

• Confused 1

LBA Sent 12/3/06

Just got the order from the Courts, looks like they have allowed my late amendment to claim Contractual Interest, plus removal of status markers and my request for disclosure of their costs, the good thing is Abbey's Solicitors whoever they are have 5 days to supply Court bundles and 7 days to object to the Amendment :) I wonder which will come first? or prehaps they will amend their offer now

What fun this is.

Paul

LBA Sent 12/3/06

Still waiting to receive the Court Bundle from them? What happens if they don't supply it do we win by default?.......lol

Will have to get GF to write a strongly worded letter to the Board of Directors as she is a share Holder. ;)

LBA Sent 12/3/06

Glad for you Lesser, it takes a while for the court to Issue the Order but it's still plain sailing.

Paul

• Confused 1

LBA Sent 12/3/06

Just handed in Court Bundle to the courts. And have to send a copy of to either, Abbey, DLA or however. and it needs to be sent today. any idea where to send it?

LBA Sent 12/3/06

Well the final hurdle has approached and I have managed to clear it at the first attempt.

Court bundles have been issued to DLA Piper and the Courts, (they are due by Tues) anyone wanna bet that Abbey DON'T issue one??? (Come on someone must want to take the Bet?) So now i'm in the final furlong of the home straight and I can see the winning line.

The only thing left is Abbey to Fold, clear my credit record, and pay me whats mine at the contractual rate :)

LBA Sent 12/3/06

Well what a surprise no Court Bundle or contact from Abbey or their Solicitors still. Went into the Branch today and Abbey have added even more interest and charges to my account :(

They have also paid a cheque into my account, but guess what?? The cheque also covers (repays Abbey) some of the new charges that they have added and that I didn't know about, ummmmm what shall I do? (I Know i'll sue them.....lol)

Also they have still left me with an overdrawn balance due to the new charges, lol (Can you believe the gall of them) now waiting for Debt Management to call and ask me to repay the rest of the overdraft off......ummmmm NO!

Still no movement on the default / Status markers removal and I consider this a BIG part of my claim so I am continuing until this is sorted, hopefully then this will end in court and I can request the contractual interest, (need to work out a new figure now to take account of the payment received.

So I guess that it's time for another letter, thanking them for the partial payment and reminding them of the court date.

I am still waiting for the second cheque (due to be posted today for the balance of the original claim) previous to the new charges they have added.

So now I am fuming even more due to what they have done.

So in short - This is NOT over yet. Round 2 begins shortly (for the new charges) Then we will start round three (although I may merge round 2 and 3) for pre 2000 charges and the data that was missing during this claim.

LBA Sent 12/3/06

Spoke to court today (18th Oct), Abbey HAVE NOT submitted a court Bundle, (theres a surprise), But they may have submitted a statement will need to check tomorrow to find out what the statement says?

I think it will say something like.....

Jannercobbler has now been paid, (Untrue, Received Partial payment and still not cleared, still awaiting the rest IN CLEARED FUNDS).

nothing heard from Abbey so still continuing, only 12 days to go :)

• Confused 1

LBA Sent 12/3/06

• 2 weeks later...

OK lastest update is I have today received a copy of Abbey's defence (if thats what you want to call it) The court case is on Tues (yes next tues the 31st at 2.30pm in Plymouth for those that wish to come ;)) I intend to carry this through to the end unless they do something amazing by then.

LBA Sent 12/3/06

Well I have just had a phone call from the Court, Todays appearance in Court has been cancelled BY the Judge, - Reason he doesn't think 2hrs are enough, and also as I sent him a letter saying I had not received anything from Abbey, as there defence. (Did explain that I was ready anyway)

Therefore I will have to wait a bit longer, but on the positive side it adds more interest.

Paul

LBA Sent 12/3/06

The court had Abbeys defence, I sent a letter to the Judge letting them know that I hadn't received a copy, but I think the letter I sent and the size of my court bundle made the judge think that 2hrs isn't enough, new letter to Abbey will be sent letting them know i'm still pursuing the default removal and the amendment to CI, and the interest is still accumulating, even though they have paid me some, that is only a part payment.

Paul

LBA Sent 12/3/06

I now have THREE copies of Abbey's defence (2 from Abbey and 1 from the court??), I now also have the Judges order, Abbey have to give a time estimate, as due to the size of the Bundle 2hrs may not be enough, and they have to file and serve a skeleton arguement 5 days prior to the hearing (therefore I should know what there reasons are and can counter it, or they roll over and pay and remove :)). although there is no new date yet?

Updates to follow as and when I receive them.

Paul

LBA Sent 12/3/06

• 3 weeks later...

Round 2 has begun as stated above, will contact the court this week to see what if any updates have happened and also request a speedy trail as this has been ongoing for quite awhile.

Paul

LBA Sent 12/3/06

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/05/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support their.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

LBA Sent 12/3/06

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1898 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks