Inconsistency in Case Guidance Notes vs Letters

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6313 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In the case guidance notes, eg: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=637 there are a couple of comments like:

The bank has been invited to provide a detailed breakdown of it costs and it will not do so.

However, none of the standard format letters suggest provision of a detailed break-down of the charges as an alternate course of action.

So, is this instruction in the case notes a 'generic' instruction 'banks in general do not seem willing to supply breakdowns of costings' - or should we actually put something in our letters to specifically request these costings?

Or indeed, is the wish to enter a 'sincere dialogue' with the banks enough to say - "they had their opportunity to discuss their charges with me, and they did not take that opportunity"?

Incidentally, the topic linked to above appears to have the main message duplicated.

Nij

Halifax £744 - Letter 1 sent 22/3 - no response

Letter 2 (LBA) sent 7/4

Standard Response Letter rcvd 7/4

Phone call rcvd 24/4 - offered £308 CONDITIONALLY - awaiting confirmation letter

27/4 - Conditional offer letter rcvd for £308

Case created on MoneyClaim 4/5

Halifax notes an intention to defend claim 10/5

23/5 - Some cash appears in account!

Settled, and ceased court action

Well, put it this way: Have you ever said to your bank "how do you justify charging me £35?". Have they ever answered: "Well, Mr nij4t2, it cost x pounds to do this, and x pounds to do that, so this is how we reached that figure." Or have they more than likely said "It's in your terms and conditions"? or words to that effect?

Yes, some posts are duplicated, it happened on changeover, nothing to worry about, but thanks anyway. :) Eventually, we'll get it sorted.

nij4t2

You are quite right.

letter amended

• 9 months later...

Dear Carl,

You need to go through the statements with a highlighter or something, and flag up all the charges. You can then add 'em up, and calculate if you have paid the bank interest on the charges. There is a spreadsheet on the site, or you can use the one at moneysavingexpert.com.

Bank charges: Reclaim them, they're unlawful, so you can get six years money back | MoneySavingExpert: Consumer Revenge, Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more,

Write down a table of EVERYTHING you are claiming, preferably in a spreadsheet with dates and exact wording from the statements. You can then add to this as new charges appear, and just print it out with each new letter to the bank or courts.

You then need to go on to write your preliminary approach letters and move on with things. The bank sure as hell aren't going to give you a nice summary of all the money they have unlawfully extracted from your account but they will generally tell you if you overestimate charges (eg ones that were later refunded etc.), so err on your side not theirs.

There is a thread on what charges you can reclaim:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/15518-charges-description-statements-please.html

Hope this helps! - click the scales to tell the mods I'm useful.....

:D <-- MazzaB, financial warrior! (*with a little help from my [real] flexible friends.......*) Bank ---> :mad:

:) Please click on my scales if you find my comments helpful! (or ya think i'm sexy ;))

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

Nij

Halifax £744 - Letter 1 sent 22/3 - no response

Letter 2 (LBA) sent 7/4

Standard Response Letter rcvd 7/4

Phone call rcvd 24/4 - offered £308 CONDITIONALLY - awaiting confirmation letter

27/4 - Conditional offer letter rcvd for £308

Case created on MoneyClaim 4/5

Halifax notes an intention to defend claim 10/5

23/5 - Some cash appears in account!

Settled, and ceased court action

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6313 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks