Do you have charges going back more than 6 years?

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1882 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Right, here's my tuppence worth on the statute of limitations.

I had an account with Lloyds from 1996 to 2001. I have requested a full disclosure. When I receive that, I will claim back from the current date to the point which would take me up to the 6 year limitation, that should be uncontested.

I will then attempt a further claim for the remainder without mentioning the statute of limitations. I would expect the bank to defend this using

Cave v Robinson Jarvis & Rolf [2002] UKHL 18, [2002] 2 WLR 1107 the gist of which is:

"If the claimant can show that the defendant knew he was committing a breach of duty, or intended to commit the breach of duty - I can discern no difference between the two formulations; each would constitute, in my opinion, a deliberate commission of the breach"

I suspect this would suceed, as we cannot prove that they deliberatly knew they were being unlawful. Unfortunatly ignorance of the law is allowed in the statute of limitations, just because they should have known isn't good enough.

What I would hope to rely on instead is a similar case

Sheldon v R H M Outhwaite (Underwriting Agencies) Ltd [1996] 1 AC 102

"concealment occurring one month or even one day, after the accrual would afford the plaintiff no protection at all. Perhaps a more cogent argument against the construction is that if it is correct even a concealment taking place more than six years after accrual of the cause of action would bring section 32(1) into play. But that is not a realistic objection, since it is not conceivable that a potential defendant would set out to conceal facts relevant to a cause of action when more than six years had elapsed since its accrual." Yet it is that inconceivable event which has occurred in this case; Cobert set out to conceal facts long after the time when it believed the German limitation period had elapsed."

Now here's the interesting bit. We're all telling them they're unlawful, applying these charges, going against the duty of care they owe us as our fiduciary and that they've been deliberatly concealing the facts by charging us and sending out the letters, but what are they still doing? Has any bank actually admitted fault yet or is it more a case of refunding claims as a goodwill gesture. :cool:

That's my thoughts anyway. Dave, perhaps you could ask closey to get her boyfriend (the barrister) to see how valid my argument is?

• Haha 1

If the name of the claim is blue and underlined, click it to see how I did it.

• Halifax - 1st Request for £3748.80 sent 10/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Goldfish - Unable to comment further, have a read

• Lloyds - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 1st estimated request for £1500 sent15/08 LBA sent 08/09

• Carphone Warehouse - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 Chased 04/07 ICO complaint 18/07

• First National - 1st Request for £280 sent 05/05 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Yes car credit - LBA sent 19/07 Court Action launched 26/09

• HFC Bank - 1st Request for £100 sent 06/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

Like what I said? Hit the scales on the top right of my post. Cheers

Disclaimer - By giving advice, I am not putting myself across as a legal expert. Always seek professional advice.

Help the site, donate 5%, I have.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, question here.

If we lodge a claim in the small claims court and win setting aside the statute of limitations, it will almost certainly be appealed.

Now if that ruling is set aside in a higher court, would we be liable for costs even though the original claim was under £5000?

• Lloyds - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 1st estimated request for £1500 sent15/08 LBA sent 08/09

• Carphone Warehouse - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 Chased 04/07 ICO complaint 18/07

• First National - 1st Request for £280 sent 05/05 Settled in full and 5% donated

Disclaimer - By giving advice, I am not putting myself across as a legal expert. Always seek professional advice.

Hmmm, question here.

If we lodge a claim in the small claims court and win setting aside the statute of limitations, it will almost certainly be appealed.

Now if that ruling is set aside in a higher court, would we be liable for costs even though the original claim was under £5000?

Anyone?? :???:

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1882 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks