• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Date of service query **SUCCESSFUL OUTCOME **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4478 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm posting here as claimant, received acknowledgement of service with a date on showing when that was completed but no defence received, yet, from a company I'm claiming against

However I believed they had a further whole 28 days to file a defence from the date showing on the service acknowledge but someone says it is 28 days from the day of original claim which would be when I started/submitted the claim process so really they have 2 weeks on from Acknowledge of Service - is this right?

It was a MCOL if that changes anything - the more stuff I look at and hear the more confused I'm becoming I have to say! :???: I also keep checking the mcol account but again someone says it may not be updated anymore? I am presuming I will be alerted when I can take the next course of action?

Thanks in anticipation

Edited by asmilecostsnothing

Happy to share my experience but for your own protection, please check and double check what myself and other Caggers inform

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.”

:-)

The date runs from the date of service I believe, otherwise there would be a strange procedural quirk whereby you would have more time overall if you left the acknowledgement of service until the last possible moment.

In fact, see CPR 15.4 which sets the position out clearly.

Thanks for this :oops: I am going to take a look at that now

Thank you for your time :-)

Happy to share my experience but for your own protection, please check and double check what myself and other Caggers inform

Thank you for your input dbabylon, I am not the most logic of person not do I read between the lines easily

I don't know read so much which may be inaccurate, taken the wrong way and or out of date even that 'you begin to doubt

Yeah I've been logging on to my mcol account pretty much every other day and there has been no change, like you say there could be a late shotgun defence not filtered through, I guess I will find out soon enough what will be...

Much respect to you and earlier poster :-)

spelling mistake

Well the postie today hasn't pitched up with anything more then junk mail, I called the mcol helpdesk who state there is a specific time anyhow off after 4pm which must be adhered to when taking the next course of action I wasn't sure on that either, the lady there seemed to double check their was no defence

Then it gets weirder, all of a sudden the FOS say they have now picked up the case and thats moved up a notch (that the company has not responded to their communication even :lol:) and a demand for my file from the company concerned has been made with a view to making a final decision without their input even

So it would seem there's no retaliation (which I believe could mean a few things don't get me wrong) I am in a right 2-and-8 for sure ! but should I be abandoning one?

• 2 weeks later...

The FOS wont usually deal with a case that has been to court. You would normally do it the other way round.. FOS then court.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Normally you wait for fos to give their decision and then you can start a claim as the decision isn't binding on a court. Didn't think you can do it the other way round or have both the fos & court involved at the same time. Regarding defence, if they have sent AoS within 14 days they have a total of 28 days from the date the claim was served to send defence.

Thanks for your reply and the concern, I did ask on here in the start was I right/wrong for keeping up the complaint with the FOS, it doesn't surprise me if you can't

I approached the FOS way back in the beginning after going through the complaints procedure with the company and having their words 'final response' I grow concerned when they the FOS didn't meet timeframes given in each letter (seriously began to wonder how many pints were being brought or it felt that way) heard some colourful excuses shall we say hopes raised and dashed - even up to last week again in complete reversal (I was beginning to wonder if this was some sort of stooling) they tried telling me the problem is because they accept complaints without final responses and well the backlog that creates!!! really well nor does this fact appear in the leaflet...I always have had the illusion you must have thrashed out the complaints system with the company concerned

Anyway I did consider how long the FOS could take and decided perhaps I was best to take the route suggested by Consumer Direct - which I understood this was also fully open to little me as much as I was on my own and there would be a relatively small charge payable to see potentially what a judge made of it and the risk's therein - whilst never feeling so strongly about something the money claim online wasn't something I entered into lightly nor would I have hid this

Just happens it paid of, judgement ruled in just over 4 weeks (the company decided they didn't want to enter their defence which says it all perhaps they realised the mistake I don't know) we're now settled up I got paid the court fee back to which is more preferably to waiting anything up to a year and then being told by the FOS to take a hike, which could have happened nothing is guarenteed! I'm just following the company wishes and am sending written letter for the courts to notify the case is now settled, along with politely telling the FOS they can close although if I'm honest I believe no action had been taken or would have been for some time still regardless. Just the way I personally felt from day 1.

I am sending letter to the court but surprised there is nothing I can seem to action online on the moneyclaim account ? I've tried delete or archieve, I just thought with it being one of those online procedures you would be able to end it there to with a click of a button, heaven forbid I hope I don't have to do this again !!

Not sure I can get the OFT report back ? but at least I'll get to stop any action with the FOS

Thanks everybody for your help and hope you'll excuse the life story !

I don't regret the moneyclaim procedure one bit :biggrin1:

You might be able to email the court if this is still with Northampton - ring them and confirm - alternatively they might be able to advise if there is a way to end it on the MCOL website.

IMHO, I would write to FOS and confirm that due to their inability to action your complaint in a timely fashion - you have taken the matter to court and WON.

You should also notify OFT that this has been finalised in court - and that the Company decided not to enter a defence. Then it can be reconciled with your original complaint.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

That just leaves this thread to be amended to "won" or have I got that wrong?

I'll leave that to you CitizenB as a member of the site team.

:doh:

BCOBS

Title amended :)

BCOBS