• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

I'm getting pursued personally for debts incurred by my failed limited company.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4108 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After a number of years as a sole trader, on my CA's advice, in order to ramp up turnover (and hopefully profit) without risking any more of my own money I set up two limited companies and for 2-3 years did reasonably well.

However when the Banks did their foul deeds in 2007/2008 a number of my customers went bust and I lost a lot of money and also lost the critical mass necessary to maintain the level of overheads the companies were then having to support.

I have tried to trade out of the difficulties

- and even (foolishly) built up huge credit card and overdraft debts

- all of which I knew I would be personally liable for.

Earlier this year I had to give up

- as I was effectively trading insolvently and decided to cease trading and apply to Companies House to have both Companies struck off.

Just at that point,

Companies House wrote to me and said they were going to strike off one Comapny for late filing of returns unless I filed them by return.

They advised I didn't need to do anything

but if I did nothing then they would go ahead and strike the Company off.

Since this was actually what I wanted to happen I did nothing and they did the usual advertising in The Gazette and then the Company was struck off in due course when no creditors objected.

For the second Company,

the CA filed the returns just before I suspect the same process would have been followed.

I therefore filled out form DS01 and sent a copy to all creditors.

True to form HMRC objected - and have currently prevented the company from being struck off. No other creditors objected and I understand I now have to wait 6 more months and then Companies House will repeat the process in the hope of no further objections.

Now, totally out of the blue the CA is chasing me personally for the fees still owed to him by both Limited Companies.

He has produced a copy of a "letter of engagement" which has, tucked away in a small pragraph on page 5 of 6, a paragraph stating "in the event of non-paymnent of our fees as a result of liquidation or administration of the company, the undersigned director hereby personally guarantees to meet the balance of unpaid amounts billed by YZ & Co".

My queries are:

1. There is nothing else in this multi page letter which warns of or refers to this personal guarantee, either on the first page or directly above the part where I had to sign on the final page.

Even the Banks put in big print a warning that you should sign only if you wish to be bound by this and give advice about seeking independent legal advice before signing.

Does the omission of this make this personal guarantee unenforceable in Scots Law?

2. Given the CA had acted as my personal financial adviser, is there not a conflict of interest in him requiring me to sign this - especially given the fact he was the one who advised me to set up limited companies in order to "safely" scale up my business activities and volumes without "being personally liable"?

3. I am not sure in any case if the personal guarantee would apply since it states "as a result of liquidation or adminsitration" and I don't think either status applies to either of the two companies.

One has been struck off by Companies House without any action by me and the Companies House webcheck shows it as "dissolved".

The other company's webcheck shows "active - proposal to strike off".

in my view neither company has gone into liquidation or administration and there are no assets or funds to pay for liquidators or administrators.

4. The "guarantee" says "unpaid amounts billed by YZ and Co".

A few years ago YZ & Co merged with AB & Co

and later bills state "ABYZ & CO"

and more recently just AB & Co.

I never signed any new guarantees and there is nothing in the letter of engagement I did sign which allows YZ & Co. to assign my contract or my debt to either ABYZ & Co or AB & Co.

I have also never received any Letter or Deed of Assignment regarding these debts or contracts.

Does this make the guarantee unenforceable in Scotland?

5. Does the fact I have some unpaid bills dating back to 2006 from YZ and Co.

Are these debts statute barred in Scotland after 5 years?

Does the fact I was paying a monthly standing order

- so these older bills could be deemed to be partly paid

- go against this argument?

6. Is the CA actually allowed to accept either advance payment or payment of outstanding bills by monthly standing order without having a licnece under the Consumer Credit Act?

7. Surely if it was that easy to pass liability on to a director every supplier would have a similar term hidden in their terms and conditions?

8. A CA is the one person that we should be expected to always act in our best interest and protect us from our own lack of knowledge and experience in such matters.

Using their own superior knowledge and experience to give their debts effectively some preferred status over other suppliers is surely an unfair contract term.

Does CPUTR 2008 apply given the alleged personal liability?

I am now living on a tiny pension and cannot even get job seekers' allowance.

My wife has had to postpone retirement in order to keep a roof ove rour heads until I reach state retirement age in 3 years time and the CA's demands are effectively a year's worth of my current small pension.

Hopefully some other CAGGERs may be able to help

- and my experience may give others a timely warning of a totally unexpected personal liabiliy from someone they thought they could trust!

BD

Kurvaface

Thanks very much for your promnpt response - and for your tenacity!

I think that probably explains why a personal guarantee is not part of every suppliers' T&C's!

I have shown in bold above in my first post the only paragraph referring to this which states "the undersigned director hereby personally guarantees" .....

The paragraph immediately above my signature states "I confirm that I have read and understood the contents of this letter and agree that it accurately reflects my undersatanding of the services that I have instructed you to provide."

There is then my signature and the following wording:

Signed: Big Debtor Dated: Xx/XX/200X

For and on behalf of the Board.

It therefore looks as if I didn't sign as Big Debtor the (very) natural person?

BD!

PS - welcome all 13 Guests - what an amazing amount of interest so quickly from those who do not wish to be identified. I wonder why???

I will have a look for a thread I have seen on here about personal guarantees. There is an interesting situation where a director gives a personal guarantee. If you are signing it as a director, as opposed to as a private individual, then you are providing the guarantee as a director and therefore the persopnal guarantee is unenforceable.

I will just go and look for it...

I have bounced this theory off several people - but no one else seems to have heard of this potential loop hole in "personal guarantees".

Can anyone else confirm Kurvaface's position?

BD