• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cap1 & CCA return

tamadus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4951 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks Milly for posting this. I hope no-one shoots the messenger! :)

How nice of the Prof. to respond.

I don't have a copy of Goode either so have to wait for the legal guys to elaborate..

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HAK - my calculator makes it £5,342.55 but it's not always 100% accurate so use with caution

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

I use an online calculator ('cos I'm hopeless with excel & stuff) which is why it's accuracy is not always 100% I think. If you are going to challenge the bank suggest you get a second opinion first.

as the figures are 6k out

:eek: Whoa, HAK - you've won the bank lottery!

Ok, I've seen it before somewhere, but I think I need a quick lesson on APR.

Hi

No it is quite a complex equation and takes into account the amount of installments the preiods of payment and the time taken to reapy the total creit as well as any gaps or irregular installments.

If it is an agreement with no ohtther charges for credit other than interst yu can use the formula =(G7^12-1)*100 to give you the APR just type it into your spreadsheet pointing to a vacent cell where you enter your monthly interst rate.

Peter, is there a dummies guide anywhere on how to put formulae for different sorts of credit/interest agreements into Dualcalc or an Excel spreadsheet as, like Lexis, I always feel confused on anything other than calculating a simple interest loan?

I'v known of cases where the DJ throws it out purely on the DN issue, argument doesn't even get to the CCA but also cases where the DN has been totally disregarded.

Seems to be the luck of the draw on your day in court, underdog :(

..Also they have sent me 2 of the same agreements with other peoples names and addresses on them ..OHHHH DEAR ...What happened to Data protection??

Oh dear indeed! Think you might like to pass this info. on to ICO ;)

The first image looks odd at the top Babydoll. Did it come like this or did you fold it over or something? It looks to me more like the reverse of an application form than anything resembling a CCA.

If they've not sent you YOUR account (ie. account no, name, address etc) they've not complied with the S77/78 request & looks like they've also shot themselves in the foot over the DPA.

for the business loan in 1992..the bank manager picked my wife up from the bus stop and convinced her to sign in his car...

patrickq1

:eek: :eek:

Was this in the days when you kept your bank manager in a cupboard?! :D

By what margin would the figures quoted in a fixed sum loan have to be mis-stated to make the loan unenforceable?

What sum/percentage would be considered deminus?

It's the interest calculation that is permitted to be de minimis, enforceability would depend what other figures were incorrect. I think approx 1% either way is the current accepted figure on the interest calculation.

:oops:

Clearly, I have long since got confused about what the original question was.

I'll get my coat.

Think I'll join you - Portia :p

in short how do i know if once recieved my CCA is enforcable or unenforcable?

It has to contain the prescribed terms as described in the CCA 1974 & Regs:

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/57-statutes/176-consumer-credit-act-1974-and-related-regulations-.html

It should also be properly executed.

You may find this thread useful:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/162851-consumer-credit-agreements-guide.html

If you have any doubts when you get your CCA, post it up, minus the personal details, & I'm sure someone will look it over :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Spiros - welcome to CAG

You are unlikely to get a copy of your credit agreement unless you stipulate you are applying under s77-79 of CCA1974 & enclose £1.00 PO. Use the template from CAG, do not sign (print or use dig. signature) & send Rec. Del. They have 12+2 days to produce, after which you need to write to them to formally put the account in dispute.

The statements are requested as part of a SAR. It costs £10.00 (again send PO etc) They have 40 days to respond. The template is here:

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/48-bank-templates/110--data-protection-act-1998-subject-access-request-.html

If you need further help, you would be better posting your query in the Egg forum, this thread is very long & it may get lost here.

Hi rob, welcome to CAG

Re. the Halifax account, if it was a current account, it is not subject to a credit agreement; if it is in respect of a credit account (card or loan) & if the account was satisfied & then closed or teminated, you cannot obtain an agreement.

However that does not prevent you claiming any unlawful charges. To begin the process you need to send a SAR, cost £10, send PO & Rec. Del. This should produce the statements that will enable you to work out the amount of your claim. Be aware that claims on bank charges are currently stayed but you should still submit you claim & get in the queue.

The template for a SAR is here:

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/48-bank-templates/110--data-protection-act-1998-subject-access-request-.html

can i do the same to orange plc as i have a ccj with them but cant remember ever receiving a default notice etc???

Are you talking about an orange phone contract? If so, these are slightly different & you should post up in the Telecoms forum for specific advice.

Anything over 6 years (if you haven't acknowledged it by way of payment etc.) is statute barred rob.

Suggest you start a seperate thread for this in the Lloyds forum & post up the letter they have sent you (minus personal details) & any other details of payments made etc.

'Statute Barred' is dealt with under the Limitation Act 1980 S5-S9.

Limitation Act 1980 (c. 58)

It basically states that an action to recover any sum is not permitted after expiration of 6 years from the date on which the cause of action took place. Therefore if you have stopped payments on a debt, that would be your cause of action date - at least that is how I have always understood it. I'm sure the legal guys will put it much better.

PCB, I think the point of SC's argument may be that this has been 'split' into 2 parts each under £25000 & therefore should be considered as seperate 'parts'. If you read the Heath v. S. Pacific judgment above, you will understand the references & their application (or otherwise!)

Sorry Steven, what did FG say? - that the agreement was in 2 parts? but that 14b is not something even I had absorbed until now until doc mentioned it... Speaks your minds people...tell me in laygirls terms what you mean? What does this imply and what effect could this have on the agreement?

I thought that the 'split' agreement may be one of the primary points you would be basing your case on SC, which is why you referred to the Heath case & Steven earlier referred to the Bennion statement.

Can't find doc's comments - can you supply a link please?

I don't know the details of your case but IMO although there is controversy over the Heath (as with the Rankine) your barrister should be well prepared to argue the differences between yours & this as I'm sure they will drag Heath in.

Hit me over the head if I got the wrong end of the tale - I have no problem with being called a foolish girl! :)

Still don't understand what Steven was referring to... :cool:

Me neither. I didn't think I'd said anything that wouldn't already have been obvious to you SC & as far as I can see 14d is standard 'interest only' clause. :confused:

(ps I never mentioned 14d :confused:)

No, doc did.

Do try & keep up :D

.. and everyone wanted to bring wine, scones with clotted cream, even champagne when they couldn't produce the agreements, but Ellie just won't arrange a date.

Oh, isn't she just a killjoy?! :D

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4951 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks