• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cap1 & CCA return

tamadus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4954 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Finally got a full reply to my s.78 request to Barclaycard a while back.

(Another photoscan of my application form, and this time - a photoscan of the original T&Cs from 1999.)

As ive said previously, on examination the Credit limit on T&Cs differs from the acual credit limit. This is a Prescribed Term so the agreement is unenforeable without a court order, but s.127(3) would preclude any court from issuing one. This has been confirmed by Trading Standards.

Wrote back to Adrian Ruffhead pointing this out and included a Data Protection Act s.10 notice to remove default.

Eventually I got a response from Adrian Whalley. A big NO.

Today I got a letter from Sonia Simmonds -Court Orders and Disclosures manager refering me to s.15 and s.15(1) of my T&Cs. These refer to sharing of data with CRAs.

Interestingly, though (and in response to my repayment request for unlawful charges) around £230 has been removed from my alleged debt. about 20% of that asked for), her letter makes no mention at all of the unenforceabillity or otherwise of the credit agreement and she says that collection recovery has been suspended for one month "to allow me time to discuss repayment"

(There has been no "recovery action", save for two final demands from Wescot in April)

I draw my own conclusion that recovery has been suspended and that no mention is made of the legal enforceabillity of the agreement. Any thoughts from you guys?

On another point, a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) for data from 1985/86 was ignored and I have started a small claim for enforcement of this.

A complaint to the Information Commissioners Office has also been made.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...And of course, the Application Form was a mail shot (DSR regs apply) The photoscanned Application Form isnt signed by Barclaycard, so would come under the transitional arrangements for the 2006 Act, the prescribed form to which, it doesnt confirm.

Transitional arrangements means that agreements made prior to September 2005 and signed only by the borrower on that date will be considered to come under the 2004 amendments to the CCA 1974(as amended by SI 1983/1553), which make the need for clarity in the prescribed form of agreements a lot more stringent on the creditor.

I detect a little desparation and panic begining to set in with Barclaycard with domestic poultry coming home to roost, straws being located for clutching at, paddles being sought and navigational charts of Sh!te Creek being unfolded.:rolleyes:

patrick- Im in a similar position, credit card co defaulted me for amount 2/3rds of which is penalty charges and interest.

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)'d and CCA'd them, turns out the agreement isnt actually enforceable due to Prescribed Terms being incorrect and s.127(3), but they beleive the default notice and processing to CRAs is quite legal and lawful due to their T&Cs.

(No doubt in the same way as they believe that penalty charges are also lawful.)

Would love to, but no idea where to start.

(Only started all this to get the charges removed to reduce my liability to them- turns out the agreement has been unenforceable from the start, back in 1999. Credit limit given is not that as stated in the T&Cs)

:rolleyes:

If an agreement is unenforceable then you CANNOT be defaulted because defaulting you IS in fact just another form of enforcement:rolleyes:

Been done to death this one hasnt it?

Application for claim to return charges, interest levied theron and removal of default?

**Greed mode**

If agreement is unenforceable, I take it they didnt have any legal right to charge interest in the first place...?

If agreement is unenforceable, I take it they didnt have any legal right to charge interest in the first place...?

In which case, there is no debt, as Ive paid back every penny I borrowed, the alledged debt is maup up entirely of:

1) Unlawful charges

2)Interest levied thereon

3)Contractual interest which they had no agreement from me to levy.

We know its not right, they know its not right and that its all down to their own incompetance.

Can the Courts or the FOS be trusted to see us right, though...?

Absolutely.

We need a template!

Or a good solicitor, or even simply a moderately competant one!

Looking at the CCA, this part is as made as clear as daylight, unlike most of the rest of that monstrous epic.

Ive had three final demands from two different DCAs, the first one one vanished into thin air as soon as I CCAd and SARd them

It took 6 months and court action to get them to comply with my SAR.

Its taken 8 months to get them to comply with my s.78 request, finally including an email to Barclay's CEO at [email protected]

In the mean time, Ive had three final demands, and as soon as let them know that its blindingly obvious that the agreement is unenforceable, they back off and suspend recovery action.

Hmmmmm - does this sound like they know they are on a sticky wicket?

As Peter says, a copy of a sig document/ application form/mailer and copy of the T&Cs, does not a true copy of a properly executed agreement make.

Peter has written confirmation of this from the Secretary of State himself.

**thinks** BCard have sent me two versions of their T&Cs.

Neither of them are the same. One is dated as as 7/99 and the other 8/99.

Both came with a letter saying

1) herewith are enclosed copy of your executed agreement in the prescribed format. (unsigned photocopy of the T&Cs)

2)A copy of your Barclaycard signed Credit Agreement regulated by the CCA 1974, which you signed in agreement that you were legally bound by the Barclaycard Terms and conditions. (my application form/mailshot- no prescribed terms)

Peter- My local Consumer Direct doesnt seem at all clued up on this, they told me that an application form and a copy of T&Cs is fine, where about is your Consumer Direct?

I sometimes get the feeling the guy I spoke to is so impartial that he feels the need to act as advocate for the creditor and is out of his depth.

Apart from uniboy, no one I know has gone to law over this.

By the same token though, i havent seen any example of any DCA going to court and winning when CAG members have challenged a duff credit agreement. Plenty of examples of DCAs crawling back under their stones, though.

True. Having worked with several engineers I can tell you that the only remedy for such pedantry is to pour the remaining contents of the glass over their head. then there is no doubt as to the state of the glass.

This attitude is why engineers only drink from shot glasses - only ever seen completely full or empty!!

;)

Yup!

(Pours another wee dram of Irish firewater into his shot glass to keep the other wee drams company)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4954 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks