• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cap1 & CCA return

tamadus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4939 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi

Dont want to hijack this thread but just need a pointer.

Last week sent a CCA request to MG, this morning received a letter stating

I confirm receipt of £1.........., as requested please find enclosed a certified copy of your application form and copies of T&C that we would have provided you with at the inception of your account.

Then goes onto.. if you are not happy blah blah and ICO contact etc.

But there was nothing enclosed with the letter and see how they have worded the bit about the T&C.

Any comments how one would respond to this.

In general where a valid request has been made to a creditor under Section 77,78 of the Act and the creditor has failed, within the prescribed 12 day period, to supply the requisite information then the creditor is not able to take steps to enforce the debt with or without a court order. The commission of (They commit) an offence, should the failure to supply the documents continue for a month, does not affect the long term enforceability of an agreement as far as the Act is concerned. Once the creditor does comply with the request, whether beyond the prescribed period or not, he will be able to enforce the agreement again.

Peter

they might aswell say that the creditor cannot enforce an agreement without providing the same. I really dont know how the 12 days and 30 days make any difference. even if they commit an offence who's going to prosecute them.

You have to accept the fact that the personnel at ICO, TS, the Ombudsman, have not had to deal with such complains or issues, in the past. Therefore their training is limited to writing standard letter/templates etc. Now inorder for them to deal with these complex issues they need to a higher level of training. For example in the past TS used to mainly deal with compalint about rogue traders, trades description etc, but when it come to finance, white collar etc, thats a different ball game altogether.

hi

Recently sent a CCA req. to HFC, last day today got a letter stating

sorry for the delay, as req. pleae find enclosed copy of legal agreement for this account. We note that the copy is not too clear, since we had to obtain this form our Archives as a/c opened in 1998.

We also return your cheque for £1 as there is no charge for this service.

There was a 1 page copy with this letter apart from my writing (like name address employer tel. no. etc)and signatures and dates, 95% of the pre-printed stuff is illegible. No T&C, no interest rates. at the top of this paper I can just about make out credit agreement regulated by cca 1974 but half of it is missing.

Any comments whether this is acceptable.

But if they cannot show terms contained in a document where you gave your express permission to process your data, surely thats enough?

At the moment all we could do is debate amongst ourselves and explore various scenerios. But unless someone is brave enough to drag one of these companies in front of the Judge and test it, its all academic. With respect to some post taking the stance one way or the other I personally don't think there is a clear cut answer to this as yet, unless of course someone knows otherwise.

Battleaxe

hats off to you for even been able to get a reply to your letters from these 2 companies.

I have infact saved my mailer they have sent with replacement credit cards and see if I can dig them out and check the contents.

One way of catching these companies out is, ask them to send you a replacement card since your card is misplaced and see what you get with it.

Hi

Dont want to hijack this thread but just need a pointer.

Last week sent a CCA request to MG, this morning received a letter stating

I confirm receipt of £1.........., as requested please find enclosed a certified copy of your application form and copies of T&C that we would have provided you with at the inception of your account.

Then goes onto.. if you are not happy blah blah and ICO contact etc.

But there was nothing enclosed with the letter and see how they have worded the bit about the T&C.

Any comments how one would respond to this.

After the post above I sent them a letter stating there was no agreement with the letter, today received a sorry letter and

Please find enclosed a copy of your signed credit agreement and a copy of T&C issued at the time your account was opened. The template supplied to you contains the required information as it was sent out to you. This information is all on file and can be used to evidence that we have acted fairly and correctly and in accordance with the terms of the Act.

First of all I never told them that they have acted unfairly and note that in their first letter they refer to a certified copy and in the next letter they say copy of your signed agreement.

Now this is the inetersting bit, I have since located a copy of the T&C, they sent me at the commencement of my contract and those T&C are different to the once they have supplied with this letter. Not only that, but the alleged agreemnet is headed

CONFIRMATION FORM

Credit Agreement Regulated by the CCA 1974

Name

address

protecting your card

additional CArdholder

By signing this agreement, you confirm.......true info etc

Your right to cancel

my signature and date

What do you think.

• 1 month later...

what might help is, if someone cleared all the crap posts that are irrelevent to the topic and that way you might be able to use this as a reference and avoid repeating. for example there must be no. of post referring to the time for producing CCA 12+2+month and so on

Okay,

So I got thinking about 'further action' and looked again at my agreement. According to my agreement it's between 'us' and Lantana. 'us' isn't defined on the agreement, though the card issuer is defined as 'MINT, PO Box blah...' I've written to the OFT to see if MINT has a credit licence.

Now I know that MINT is a businress name of Royal Bank of Scotland (that's what their website says), but surely the agreement should say so (e.g. Royal Bank of Scotland t/as MINT). What I'm saying is, presumably MINT cannot take me to court because MINT is not a legal entity, only a registerd business name. And Royal Bank of Scotland can't have me either because the agreement doesn't say it's with them! In effect, I think the agreement may be unenforceable.

I'd be interested in my fellow CAGer's thoughts on this.

Regards

Lantana

EXCELLENT observation.

Would appreciate if someone can clarify for sure

If a trader (finance co.) hires to a Ltd. Co. under a Hire Agreement regulated by CCA 1974, accorded the same protection as a individual.

When i was looking for this clarification couple of months back I am sure I came across a site which stated that if the hire agreement is titled HIRE AGREEMENT REGULATED BY CCA 1974, then it is covered under the act provided it is under 25k and over 3months. I just can't seem to find this reference again.

All the references I have come across, does exclude Ltd. Co's.

15 Consumer hire agreements

(1) A consumer hire agreement is an agreement made by a person with an individual (the “hirer”) for the bailment or (in Scotland) the hiring of goods to the hirer, being an agreement which—

I think the crux of it lies with the word in bold above. An Ltd company is an entity in its own right but isn't an individual. Therefore they didn't put exemptions in the latter part to cover Ltd companies.

But most lenders are Ltd. Co's, but it says made by a person with an individual.

As I said before, a LTD company can never be called an individual, it is a legal entity, but it is not an individual. If you've got an HP agreement that says it is regulated by the CCA 1974 and it lists a Ltd company, IMO they have the ultimate get out clause.

Thanks

This is a Hire Purchase Agreement as opposed to HP Agreement, 2 different things.

In simple terms, if you've got an original agreement that is regulated under the Consumer Credit Act and the hirer is listed as an Ltd company, unless the Ltd company assumed the rights of one or more individuals and therefore 'inherited' the agreement, the Ltd company will not be able to enter into an agreement regulated by the CCA. It is commercial.

Ahh what I thought, and thanks for clarification.

But I ask why would the lender use such an agreement, this could be construed as misleading the hirer, Surely the lender knows the law and the hirer is no expert to think otherwise.

Don't know if this has been covered, but this morning I have got a copy agreement that CAP 1 are going to be using form June 2007, now this is an agreement.They seem to have gone through the thread and CCA 1974 and adressed all the concerns that have been raised so far.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4939 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks