• Tweets

• "as I have no tools available to merge documents, unless you can suggest any free ones that will perform offline merges without watermarking" (which you don't) ... but ok please upload the documents and we'll go from there
    • Please go back and read my message posted at 10:27 this morning @jk2054. I didn't say that I wasn't going to provide documents, only that I will upload them to an online repo that I am in control of, and that I would share links to these. You shall still be able to read and download them no different from if they were hosted here. And, the issue I have is not so much with hosting, but using an online pdf editor to create a multi-page pdf, again I have discussed this that same message.
    • Thanks ,DX, I'd forgpotton about that letter and can't remember sending a SB letter. I must have left it and they did not chase. Unclebulgia. Yes several periods of no contact. Think its time for the SB letter . 
    • well if your not going to upload documents because you are too scared of your data being stolen and someone rocking up to you we are going to struggle to help you peoples energy data breach has nothing to do with a hosting site...
    • Whilst trying to point score over Biden, Trump can't remember the name of his own doctor. Trump gets name of his doctor wrong as he challenges Biden to cognitive test | Donald Trump | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Gaffe came as 78-year-old Republican presidential candidate sought to bolster his support among Black and Latino voters in Michigan  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cap1 & CCA return

tamadus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4985 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Did this argument ever get settled/proven?

Is section 85 reference to replacement cards and new agreements enough to render an agreement unenforceable????

Even though s85 specifically states that a new CCA is required every time a new card is issued, I cannot ever remember seeing one. Unless the usual cardboard/paper folder they come in counts.

If not I can't imagine there is a card agreement out there that IS enforceable !!:shock:

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...........Saw there had been a good letter re this a while back by Car who appears to be very knowledgeable on this area.

I wish you could find that letter. Might be very useful. ;)

Are you asking if it's "fast track" or "small claims"? if so, it depends on the amount of the claim, or how complicated it is.

I was almost fast tracked when the default was less than £300, because the case was considered so complex, so beware either way.

My case is fairly straighforward.

It concerns a Tesco unenforceable credit card agreement (I absolutely know it is unenforceable btw). If, as I assume they will, they default me (I've stopped my DD) and place a record on my credit file, I want to take them to court to get the agreement declared unenforceable, the default removed and my credit file reinstated.

I won't be asking for any money back apart from expenses of the action.

Is this the right route? It is a simple (?) case.

PS: This is the so called 'agreement':

tescoagreementdeletions.jpg

It looks to be on the face of it pretty unenforceable........but what happens when they produce the terms and conditions that go with it, that contain all the prescribed terms, and then do an old boys club style hearing and screw you over ?? Dont rush headlong into court without preparing fully. BTW they probably wont remove the default either.....

Even though the agreement is unenforceable all that means is that they cant enforce it.......not that it doesnt exist.

The default will stay.

sorry

Dave

T&Cs as a separate document don't comply with the CCA, all the 'prescribed terms' MUST be on the ONE document you sign as an agreement, else it is not properly executed.

Old boys or no, a judge CANNOT enforce an agreement that doesn't contain all the prescribed terms under CCA127(3) and 61(1)(a).

Under such circumstances a judge can insist a default on an agreement that is unenforceable can be removed and the credit file reflect that. Defaulting an account that is in dispute contravenes Data Protection Act s10(1) & s12(1). Permission to process data is only given by virtue of a valid credit agreement.

Oh .. and what 'fleeced by RBOS' said :D PS: Thanks FBR .. more grist to the mill m8 :)

Edited by basa48

I know of a case RECENTLY where the agreement (like yours) had NO prescribed terms. They produced a seperate document, different scale, different typeface and not even from the same date. Then proceeded to say these are the terms that would have been on the back............guess what the judge fell for it and the case was thrown out.....with costs of over £5k. It didnt even get to a full trial this was just a hearing

Dave

Except that if you look at my 'agreement' / application, around the edges it says 'moisten glue before folding'. Meaning a 'send to' address must have occupied at least half of the reverse side. I doubt they would put all the T&Cs on what would become the outside of an envelope.

In any event I would be sure to do a 31.16 disclosure request before going into court.

I'm surprised the defendant didn't ask to see the original document (with T&Cs on the back) in court and more surprised the judge didn't reprimand the CC co for misleading the defendant by witholding very relevant information. Something wrong there. :confused:

So, would one have to issue proceedings against the creditor to have the 'agreement' (or lack of it) deemed unenforceable in order to have the CRA's remove the damaging data?

Damn, and that's just what I was about to ask. :grin:

Also which is the best vehicle, small claims or part 8. And which clause 142(1) or 127(3).

Note 142(1) states “the court may if it thinks....” whereas 127(3) states “The court shall not......”

Which procedure depends on whether you're seeking damangs - if you are, it's Part 7 (where allocation to track will depend on the amount being claimed) and if not, it's the Part 8 procedure.

In effect, you are applying to the Court for an order declaring the parties rights (outlining the unenforceability of the agreement against the debtor) under s.142(1), based on s.127(3).

If the debt wasn't irrevocably unenforceable under s.127(3), making an application under s.142(1) would be suicide, as the Court would allow enforcement under s.127(1)(i) if the agreement is signed by the debtor and therefore not in the remit of s.127(3). So, the use of s.142(1) should only be considered where a CCA request has been made and the agreement sent falls in to s. 127(3) - meaning applications like this shouldn't be entered in to lightly.

I'm utterly (well nearly :wink: ) convinced my 2002 Egg Card agreement is legally unenforceable. Whether a judge would agree is the risk element here. So your answer is just what I was looking for. I didn't grasp that 142(1) could be based on 127(3).

Can I include a request to the courts to rectify my credit file (s14 DPA) in the same application?

Then there is the question of Egg's unlawful? recission of contract letter (otherwise known as the 'termination' letter).

Ah, right, I'm with you now. This is the quote that is more relevant to your question, then;

33. In my judgment the objective of Schedule 6 is to ensure that, as an inflexible condition of enforceability, certain basic minimum terms are included which the parties (with the benefit of legal advice if necessary) and/or the court can identify within the four corners of the agreement. Those minimum provisions combined with the requirement under section 61 that all the terms should be in a single document, and backed up by the provisions of section 127 (3), ensure that these core terms are expressly set out in the agreement itself: they cannot be orally agreed; they cannot be found in another document; they cannot be implied; and above all they cannot be in the slightest mis-stated. As a matter of policy, the lender is denied any room for manoeuvre in respect of them. On the other hand, they are basic provisions, and the only question for the court is whether they are, on a true construction, included in the agreement. More detailed requirements, which are designed to ensure that the debtor is made aware, so far as possible, of specified information (including information contained in the minimum terms) are to be found in Schedule 1

OMG I've been searching for this ... can't find it anywhere on the net !!

It's just one opinion that we need to make the Court aware of.

Indeedy, which is why I would love to read through the whole judgement. I have actually read all of Lord Nicholls opinion !! phew !! :grin:

Now I have got the link to the case on Bailii working, you can! :D Well, the Court of Appeal judgment in which it is quoted with approval, anyway.

Thanks for that Viscount. Very useful. 8)

In which case they couldnt possibly have been part of the original contract.. surely ?

As obviously were not the T&Cs for my Egg Card agreement as per the attached letter sent with (all?) my agreement.

eggletterdeletions.jpg

Hi

Sorry to go on about this but It has been playing on my mind all week.

I know if the Judge asks do I owe the money I should admit it and divert him to the fact its unenforcable.

I just cant stop thinking at that point he will stop the case and seek judgment on me.

Can anybody assure me:confused:

HAK

I've been thinking a lot about that myself.

The best I've been able to come up with up to now is something along these lines:

Recently following casual discussions with more knowledgeable friends I became aware that some credit card agreements may not be ‘legal’ and was worried I could fall foul of changes to any agreements that may not be legal.

When I received what was purported to be the agreement for this account I realized it was not a proper agreement and decided to challenge it with the company concerned.

Without a proper agreement in place I felt it unreasonable to continue repayments to an account that has no basis in law. To continue to do so could leave me open to amendments or variations to the running of the account outside the scope of the laws governing credit agreements and thus beyond mine or even the laws control.

• Haha 1

Has the Amazing MBNA Interest Rate Trick been performed on your account?

Erm .. could you elaborate on this please?

My MBNA Card says it is charging 2.53% per month. Which equates to nearly 35% APR :eek::eek::eek:

I really can't understand how they can enter a moral judgement if they have a specific set of laws to follow.

Am I missing something very obvious?

Lexis:)

Possibly .. some may call it humility, others would call it BS, but the fact remains the judge is boss and you always tug your forelock to the boss !! :rolleyes:

OK .. Im going to throw out another tidbit now.

Which is best:

• Take them to court?
  • Defend their action?

There's only one way to find out ..............

FIGHT!!!!

(Apologies to Harry Hill :D )

Thx car and viscount ... I had almost come to the same conclusion. Plus of course you don't come over to the judge as some aggressive chancer, you remain the innocent downtrodden debtor fallen on hard times being crushed by the evil conglomerate !!!! ;)

Pity I sorta hinted I might take them. Maybe they'll smell blood when I don't, but too late realise it's their own. :cool:

God it's cliche night for me !!!:p

When did you complete this application ?

This is nothing like the Platinum application form supplied to me following my CCA request

Looks like a typical paste up job to me ...font size ..lining up etc

What does it say at the bottom left of the terms column?

Plus two headings quoting CCA 1974 ???

V dodgy :-(

Could someone cast their eye over the letter I intend to send to one of the banks re zeroing balance for unenforceable application form.

Thanks

Good letter.

Note that rendering unenforceable is by way of 142(1) and 127(3).

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all citizenB has asked me to run this by you as to what is in a book on law. I posted it on fingers thread concerning Halifax.

This to me is a major question. If this is a useable point of law it could have MAJOR implications for a great many Egg Card agreements which generally have the signature box on the reverse side under a reference to the T&Cs.

eggagreementbackpage.jpg

Maybe it would be nice to share the relevant 1983 consumer agreement regulations as you have told me to read them.

If it's the CC(Agreements)Regs 1983 your after, if you PM an email addy I'll send them (.pdf) 8)

• Haha 1

Hi

Quiet on here tonight

looks like i am going to have to go and talk to the wife.

Ho hum

LOL that's mean !!

Oh Hang on i saw the rest of the posting from the proffessor feller you know the one who said the signature had to be "on one side",hmm "on one side" doesnt sound like statutory language does it, anyway.

The rest of it is complete holihocks too, recons that the rest of the T and Cs can be apart from the prescribed terms because of the word embodied we know better don't we.

Peter

I did think the sig on the same side was way too good to be true, otherwise most credit agreements would be dead in the water.

I didn't follow what you say about the T&Cs.

I always thought these could be a separate piece of paper so long as there was a reference to them on the signed agreement which contains the prescribed terms.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4985 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks