• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

logbook loans .... advice needed :(

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4534 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Is there any news on the outcome of the court case against log book loans ??

I took out a loan with them in October last year....My circumstances changed significantly since the loan has been taken and they are now trying to reposses the car !

My boyfriend who i got the loan foolishly for, left me and refused to repay not long after it was taken and I soon fell into arrears with it... Baliffs have been to my parents address twice to take the car, after being told by my parents and myself over the telephone that I no longer live there !

They have refused to take an arrangement to repay originally and on a second conversation said that I would have to pay half (£1500) before any futhur arrangement can be made (i cannot afford this) .... The car is off the raod and i recently found out that it is in need of repair and will cost £2500 to fix which again I cannot afford..If logbook loans take the car, they would probably just sell it for scrap, leaving me with the remaining balance to still pay ... I enquired to the baliffs over the phone after they came out the first time about the court case and they confirmed that my bill of sale is one that would fall into the 'disputed' contracts due to the date it was signed, but that they had WON the case (is this correct) .... I have tried to contact logbook loans via email as their lines where unobtainable via telephone and have received no reply .. Im 7 months pregnant (which they are aware of), my mum and dad both have medical conditions so them knocking on their door knowing I am not there is not helping at all .. I have not got a clue where to go with this and dont think I can take anymore stress, do you have any advice for me ??

I have just read on another thread that logbook loans lost at court ... is this correct ???

If the Bill of Sale and Credit Agreement where signed by the the same person it makes it void ... this is the case with mine, but i need to get my facts straight before I ring the repo company

Thanks apple,

The man I spoke to was adamant that they had had the attestation issue (I'm assuming this is regarding the contract and bill of sale having the same signature on it :/ ) .... He said that if he could not find the car he was going to report it as stolen, surely the police would not deal with this as it is a civil issue ??

The car is in need of repair, which he is aware of, how would he have got that info, he knows the garage and everything it was taken into (cheeky and slightly nosey if you ask me ha) .... I advised him not to return to my parents address and he has basically refused, knowing that I am not living there ! I haven't told him where I am living, but the car isn't here so its irrelevant to him anyway if you ask me ha ! I advised him that going to my parents is harassment but he doesn't seem that bothered and said he will continue to go there !

I just dont understand the logic of taking a car that they will not pay out to fix to then leave me with the remaining debt, he couldn't answer that question and proceeded to hang up on my because I was shouting abit !!

Do you think I should contact him back or just write into logbook loans and repo company ??

'The man I spoke to was adamant that they had had the attestation issue (I'm assuming this is regarding the contract and bill of sale having the same signature on it :/ ) .... He said that if he could not find the car he was going to report it as stolen, surely the police would not deal with this as it is a civil issue ?? '

sorry missed a bit....he was adamant the attestation issue had been overturned :/ ... is he trying to just pull the wool over my eyes ??

Thanks apple,

The man I spoke to was adamant that they had had the attestation issue (I'm assuming this is regarding the contract and bill of sale having the same signature on it :/ ) .... He said that if he could not find the car he was going to report it as stolen, surely the police would not deal with this as it is a civil issue ??

The car is in need of repair, which he is aware of, how would he have got that info, he knows the garage and everything it was taken into (cheeky and slightly nosey if you ask me ha) .... I advised him not to return to my parents address and he has basically refused, knowing that I am not living there ! I haven't told him where I am living, but the car isn't here so its irrelevant to him anyway if you ask me ha ! I advised him that going to my parents is harassment but he doesn't seem that bothered and said he will continue to go there !

I just dont understand the logic of taking a car that they will not pay out to fix to then leave me with the remaining debt, he couldn't answer that question and proceeded to hang up on my because I was shouting abit !!

Do you think I should contact him back or just write into logbook loans and repo company ??

Hi Sam..

Yeah, by all means, for a bit of 'fun', by all means call him back, but be conscious to your self that it will be falling on deaf ears.

They are more than welcome to report what they like to the police - police do not deal with civil issues - however, LBL do use cunning tactics to convince the police to assist them, they may suggest that a 'breach of the peace' is likely to occur - they seem to love to waste not only our Legal systems time, money and energy, but also that of our police forces nationwide too.....all of this is no more than 'big boy' tactics to scare unwary consumers.... no more, no less...you be strong, be empowered... they can't force you to pay, when you can't,...... they can't take your car, if you decide to hide it away in circumstances where you genuinely believe that an unjust, illegal act would occur... you are simply protecting your consumers rights......until justice can be done....because the agreement and Bos are in dispute......

The Company and the repo man and the Company he works for, not only have difficulty in understanding logic, they also have issues with interpreting the very basics of the Law under which they write up their CCA's and Bos's - their logic and understanding beggars belief, even when they are told by High Court Judges that they are wrong, they still believe themselves to be right .... it's really getting past a joke....

Keep your car hidden, catch the bus, ride a scooter, fly by carrier pigeon, buy another car.... do any of these things, but don't let them take your car, they have no right to a car that is secured by way of a Bill of Sale unless the BoS is validly registered and complies with the legislation that applies to it in every way.... and further.... they cannot seize anyone's car as secured by way of Bill of Sale without a court order.....

So... repo men who come to your house, your parents house or wherever else; purporting to have any rights to the vehicle had better show you a copy of the court order first - failure of which gives you the civil right to advise them to 'sling their hook elsewhere!' (making sure the car is no where to be found of course - only because, if they can get it - they WILL take it - REGARDLESS of the LAW)..

Apple : )

[COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]"Errors do not cease to be errors simply because they’re ratified into law.” [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][B][CENTER] E.A. Bucchianeri[/CENTER][/B]

Arghhh they infuriate me !!!

How can they say they have won something that they clearly haven't ... I've advised I'm willing to pay and the car is useless to them due to the repairs and they are still sending people out to collect the car and are still refusing to take an arrangement !

I'm just going to let them keep looking, and waste their time because they clearly do not want to listen ... I asked them about a court order previously aswell and they told me they do not need one ha .. I hate them sooo much !!!

Hi Sam

Trust me, there are those of us that have seen every trick and ploy used by LBL - and that's exactly what it is - tricks and ploys.... they seem to relish in it as well - beggars belief!!!

I think they use Anglian first off and then a company called 'first point' or some name similar to that... can't quite recall right now.... the second company are more conscious of thier trading licence than Anglian are....

If you do call them again - let them know that if they persist in persuing a vehicle that is party to a disputed BoS and CCA, that you will be submitting their details to the OFT for consideration of their licence to trade.....send them a copy of the OFT's guide on debt collection too : )

That's just in case they may have lost the ones that will no doubt have been sent to them on many previous occassions...

Apple

[COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]"Errors do not cease to be errors simply because they’re ratified into law.” [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][B][CENTER] E.A. Bucchianeri[/CENTER][/B]

I am in the middle of a dispute with nine regions T/A logbook loans, the BOS is all wrong etc, apple gave me some great advice, thanks. I'm with a solicitor now and in the middle of writing a draft statement explaining this unfair relationship as defined by the credit consumer act 1974 which has now been amended in 2006. Therefore gone is the old fashioned term exorbitant credit bargains which was practically impossible to prove....unfair relationships is a comparatively new area of law and the court has wide scope which can be the consumers favor. We are going down this route..

Nice to hear the out come of the court case was the right one concerning nine regions and LBL....but still they soldier on.....

Early hours this morning Anglia clamped my car which was sitting on my drive. I usually hide it but I got home Late last night and my friend wasn't up, I use their garage..

I got outside to look at the notice attached to my car asking me to call a guy on a number, whilst reading it the guys turned up. They had no ID, no paper work just my spare key.

I told them politely they have 5 mins to remove their clamp else I will. They was straight on the phone to the police, whilst they were doing that as a builder I grabbed my disc cutter from the van and cut the clamp off, locked everything away and drove the car away leaving 3 burnt pieces of yellow metal and 2 guys gobsmacked behind, sorted. These guys were adamant that LBL are not doing anything wrong....

Any new updates available?....good luck to anyone in my position.

Edited by philandrews

• 2 months later...
Is there any news on the outcome of the court case against log book loans ??

I took out a loan with them in October last year....My circumstances changed significantly since the loan has been taken and they are now trying to reposses the car !

My boyfriend who i got the loan foolishly for, left me and refused to repay not long after it was taken and I soon fell into arrears with it... Baliffs have been to my parents address twice to take the car, after being told by my parents and myself over the telephone that I no longer live there !

They have refused to take an arrangement to repay originally and on a second conversation said that I would have to pay half (£1500) before any futhur arrangement can be made (i cannot afford this) .... The car is off the raod and i recently found out that it is in need of repair and will cost £2500 to fix which again I cannot afford..If logbook loans take the car, they would probably just sell it for scrap, leaving me with the remaining balance to still pay ... I enquired to the baliffs over the phone after they came out the first time about the court case and they confirmed that my bill of sale is one that would fall into the 'disputed' contracts due to the date it was signed, but that they had WON the case (is this correct) .... I have tried to contact logbook loans via email as their lines where unobtainable via telephone and have received no reply .. Im 7 months pregnant (which they are aware of), my mum and dad both have medical conditions so them knocking on their door knowing I am not there is not helping at all .. I have not got a clue where to go with this and dont think I can take anymore stress, do you have any advice for me ??

I have just read on another thread that logbook loans lost at court ... is this correct ???

If the Bill of Sale and Credit Agreement where signed by the the same person it makes it void ... this is the case with mine, but i need to get my facts straight before I ring the repo company

Log book and nine regions have lost there credit licence because they were told that they are unfit to hold a licence

They also lost the astation issue any agreement signed and witnessed by a rep or some one on behalf of log book makes them null and void .

You have to write to the high court and ask for any bill of sale removed they were not correct at the time of registration so they have to be removed by law.

Also any agreement that is null and void under the atestation issue could also be void due to errors and the way it was written .if you want to waste some of there time simply keep changing the name and address on the logbook and have there fake bailiff running up and down the country

Also you need to write to Dvla and ask for a replacement v5 saying you lost yours you need to do this ASAP as all v5 are being replaced with new red ones .get a new logbook and then if you want to **** logbook of keep changing the keeper and address. On the docs to waste there time

Nine regions and logbook have new companies waiting in the wings I have linked the directors to 15 companies past and present there latest [problem] is logbook loans uk regions ltd a word play on both companies any letters you get check the company registration number on companies house web check

The appeal from Log Book Loans was upheld. Two of the three judges agreed that an employee of log book loans could attest the bill of sale. THe trading law bulletin Issue 70 September 2011 confirms this. They won the appeal. What grounds does anyone have to get the bill of sale removed. Surely there is nothing we can do to stop them recovering their assets?

Thank you Ford, i have seen this but am not sure at this stage what effect this will have on those with bills of sale on vehicles they purchased in good faith. They can still recover debts and property, they just cannot create new credit agreements. So we are still effectively screwed, in that we cannot use the vehicle we purchased and have no grounds to have the bill of sale removed.

I am in the middle of a dispute with nine regions T/A logbook loans, the BOS is all wrong etc, apple gave me some great advice, thanks. I'm with a solicitor now and in the middle of writing a draft statement explaining this unfair relationship as defined by the credit consumer act 1974 which has now been amended in 2006. Therefore gone is the old fashioned term exorbitant credit bargains which was practically impossible to prove....unfair relationships is a comparatively new area of law and the court has wide scope which can be the consumers favor. We are going down this route..

Nice to hear the out come of the court case was the right one concerning nine regions and LBL....but still they soldier on.....

Early hours this morning Anglia clamped my car which was sitting on my drive. I usually hide it but I got home Late last night and my friend wasn't up, I use their garage..

I got outside to look at the notice attached to my car asking me to call a guy on a number, whilst reading it the guys turned up. They had no ID, no paper work just my spare key.

I told them politely they have 5 mins to remove their clamp else I will. They was straight on the phone to the police, whilst they were doing that as a builder I grabbed my disc cutter from the van and cut the clamp off, locked everything away and drove the car away leaving 3 burnt pieces of yellow metal and 2 guys gobsmacked behind, sorted. These guys were adamant that LBL are not doing anything wrong....

Any new updates available?....good luck to anyone in my position.

Hi Ya

I couldn't help but burst out laughing - I love it!! perhaps more of their customers should buy such a handy tool? :LOL

Yeah, there is more news I'm pleased to say : )

Their appeals have yet again been struck out - remember, this company is trading purely as an abuse of the appeal process, their licence was revoked back in October 2009!! (I've posted the full decision on the main thread for LBL Licence revokation)

What does this mean for consumers? well reading between the lines - if they appeal this latest decision - they will carry on as they do now, if they do not appeal - then, they have 6 months to wind the business down.

If they opt not to appeal - During the winding down process, Nine Regions can only collect outstanding debts for a period of 6 months (if they intend to collect past that time, they will have to employ the services of a licenced debt collection company - this makes sense because, they will be outside the limits of the appeal process and have no credit licence - this extension of time was not granted to Log Book Loans or any agreements that have been set up by Log Book Loans)

If they opt to appeal - then due to the length of time that the process takes - you can be sure they will be chasing outstanding debts very hard - and will be doing so as they do now - without regard for due legal process..... so, consumers will have to remain wary and listen out over the next 28 days to find out if they do make an appeal.

Oh, by the way.....now that you have let slip that you use your neighbours garage - I strongly suggest you find another place to hide your car.

Hope this helps?

Apple ; )

The appeal from Log Book Loans was upheld. Two of the three judges agreed that an employee of log book loans could attest the bill of sale. THe trading law bulletin Issue 70 September 2011 confirms this. They won the appeal. What grounds does anyone have to get the bill of sale removed. Surely there is nothing we can do to stop them recovering their assets?

Hi ya

Please be careful what you post without due validation.

The facts are........ they have won nothing more than time in which to buy yet more time to harrass consumers - such is the appeal process, their licence was revoked in October 2009!! - they trade purely on appeal - they have found a loop hole and are abusing it to continue trading.

All consumers rights remain as before - to bring matters into dispute - refuse to hand over their vehicles without an order of the court - when an account is in dispute to rely on the regulations of the OFT and tell them to sling their hook until the dispute is sorted....to dispute and prove the invalidity of bills of sale using the applicable law!!

NR/LBL strategy will be to get in as much money as they can - they will be applying additional undue pressure on consumers - they need the money in.

If I understand their business model more clearly than i did a few years ago - if consumers default in high numbers, then they run a similar plight as befell lehman brothers - that money simply has to be got in, by any means necessary - and - this company is unscroupulus (spell error alert) enough to take what ever means necessary........so consumers need to be careful.

Apple

Thank you Ford, i have seen this but am not sure at this stage what effect this will have on those with bills of sale on vehicles they purchased in good faith. They can still recover debts and property, they just cannot create new credit agreements. So we are still effectively screwed, in that we cannot use the vehicle we purchased and have no grounds to have the bill of sale removed.

Hi Ya

Good Question.

the effect on purchasers of vehicles with bos against them, still run the same risk at a consumer who directly took out the loan.

Your car remains a target, but all the same protections that are available to the direct borrower are available to consumers who have unwittingly purchased a car with a bos attached.

If they do not produce a court order they cannot LEGALLY remove the car. But they do - and they will - so, you face the same plight - to safeguard your car - you need to deploy the same tactics as all other consumers hide it.

So, whilst you may feel 'screwed' - there are many of us who have successfully risen above the tactics of LBL and retain our vehicles - You can too : )

Apple

hello there just to give an update i spoke to the high courts justice were all bill of sales were registered and the court

told me that all bill of sales registered by logbook loans ltd and nine regions ltd are null and void and that none have been registered on any hpi register

watch for the company logbook loans uk regions ltd they have this company waiting in the wings with a licence they will probably try and pretend that they are the same company .

tell them to take a walk the loans were with a separate ltd company and the have no security on any cars any more they will lie but just send them on there way and contact the oft and report there new company

the directors have been changing like passengers on a plane all the money men have left and they shut down the companies they have been doing this for 10 years with other companies bye bye logbook / nine regions bring all of your cars out of hiding and carry on with your lives they are sharks that have been killed