• Tweets

• First of all it sounds as if your retailer is very decent and very responsible. This itself is unusual in these kinds of circumstances and I think we need to bear this in mind. The guarantee is not particularly relevant and in fact the dealer had a statutory duty to exercise a certain responsibility for your computer – probably for several years as their obligation under the consumer rights act. The dealer may not have known this and it simply acting out of a sense of moral responsibility and that is even more noteworthy. You've already suggested earlier that you didn't really want to cause problems for your retailer. I think that you will need the help of your retailer as well in order to get information and evidence. I suggest that you proceed against DPD – but before you do that – I suggest that you have a discussion with the retailer. Tell them that this is what you are going to be doing and you would like to have a copy of anything they have which relates to the special instructions which apparently your dealer has already informed you about in relation to where item should be left. Secondly, maybe you should tell your dealer about this site and also about this thread. I can imagine like many dealers who are frequently sending items by means of couriers, they have had things go missing. Tell them that we will be very happy to help them recover money for lost or damaged or stolen items – and that is regardless of whether or not they have purchased insurance. Apart from being very pleased to help your dealer recover items which have been lost by irresponsible parcel delivery companies, I think we need to encourage the complicity between you and them so they will be pleased to support you in your claim against DPD. It will be helpful if you can get a copy of the instructions that you have referred to above, and also if you can get some written evidence of your own instruction that your laptop should be left in a safe place. Have you done the reading on this sub- forum? You will need to do lots of reading of many of the similar stories on this sub- forum. They won't necessarily be against DPD but the principles will broadly be the same. Also read the pinned topics at the top of the sub- forum in order to understand many of the principles involved. Getting your money back but be quick – but your chances of success are better than 90% that you can bank on it taking anything up to a year. Have you got anything in writing from DPD either refusing you or telling you that they won't discuss with you?  
    • Thank you for telling us the text of the letter you had from the police. As we don't seem to have come across this before, it would be really useful for us to see the original please. HB
    • Pasco has recalled 104,000 packs of sliced bread after rat remains were found in at least two packs.View the full article
    • UPDATE I went rooting through an old box of paperwork I have and I've found the original Default Notice. It is dated **/**/201*, however.. The copy of the Default Notice that they sent with the LBC has a completely different date on it 😮 Can they issue 2 default notices for the same debt? Where they have changed the date on the copy, they have also changed the amount owed through failed payments and how much is required to be paid by a certain date. In addition, they sent (with the 1st LBC) a copy of the termination of the agreement, which I cannot find the original. However, the termination date is 3 days after the date given on the (doctored) Default Notice, by which monies are to be paid by. So, they gave until the 'x' date to pay the arrears, then terminated the agreement 3 days later. I bet a dollar to a dime they've doctored the termination date also.
    • Having looked through the paperwork, I note they have sent 3 seperate LBCs. Two are in the name of FCA Automotive (1st one issued 21 Jan 2020, 2nd one 21 Sept 2022) and the last one (issued 12 Sept 2023) is under CA Auto Finance UK Limited. In the first one, they did send a copy of the default notice, but this was not sent with the 2nd LBC and neither was it sent with the last one either. .  A quick look at the default notice and I see it states the agreement start date was not the same day as the original agreement was signed. It's a day different but do not know if that makes any difference. Also, I note we received a letter on the 16 Nov 2023 which states of a 14 day notice of intention to issue claim form. Heard nothing since that, until this court claim arrived. 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

What should I do?

redn1ck
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6419 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sent out the LBA. Got the following reply by secure message:

We have received your letter before action. We have been inundated with letters of a similar nature. Many of them involve searching through 6 years worth of bank statements. I apologise if our response is taking much longer than you anticipated. You will receive a response from us in due course.

Many thanks

Dorothy

My initial rection is to reply to tell that the 14 days will not be extended. Some advice please.

Should I reply to them to tell them I am not extending the deadline

or

Reply and give them one more week

or

Wait until the 14th day and then start court action.

Kind Regards,

redn1ck

Lloyds TSB - Data Protection Act 21st August:-x

IF - Data Protection Act 21st August

smile - won £260 :D

Alliance and Leicester - waiting for that one

My response would be to stick to your timescale they have the resources, its not your problem they cannot manage, stick to your timescale and comtinue with the next step when 14 days is up

Best of Luck

they seem to be taking a bit longer after the LBA to settle because they are busy, you can send them a secure message saying you are about to file a claim and ask for where they want the claim to be sent to, they will give you an address and maybe it will stir them up a bit, it did with me and saved me doing a claim. look at my thread

Barclaycard Student credit card £400 partial refund received, S.A.R -

Open & Direct Finance- extortionate, cca to Rockwell debt collection they ran away, now with Bryan Carter, no cca 17/03/08 sent back to Open

Pugsley v Littlwoods, have not received the signed credit agreement only quoting reg of 1983

Pugsley v Fashion World JD williams, 17/03 2008 Debt Managers returning file to JD williams as they could not supply the credit agreement

Capital one MCOL Settled in full

Smile lba settled in full

advice is given informally and without liability and without prejudice.

Should I reply to them to tell them I am not extending the deadline

Yes,

and,

Wait until the 14th day and then start court action.

Yes!

Andy

Current projects:

First Direct

MCOL Filed 24/9/06

£3116.60 including 8% interest

Offer from DG £1618.30, 3/10/06. Accepted as Partial Payment Only - pursuing remaining ££££

Offer for £3236.60 (full amount, plus court charges) from DG 10/10/06.

Accepted, crossed out confidentiality clause, funds cleared. Thanks to all for help and support.

Barclaycard

MCOL Filed 4/10/06

£1370.22 including 8% interest

Payment of £216 (:lol:) received. Settlement politely declined...

Allocation Questionnaire received 8/11/06

Smile

Prelim sent 23/09/06

LBA sent 27/10/06

£2435

Payed in full, just before MCOL, 17/11/06

look at my thread

I have just read your thread and well done. I will be looking at what process you took and I will be following that.

Regards,

redn1ck

Just sent the following by secure message:

You wrote:

Hello Mr redn1ck

We have received your letter before action. We have been inundated with letters of a similar nature. Many of them involve searching through 6 years worth of bank statements. I apologise if our response is taking much longer than you anticipated. You will receive a response from us in due course.

Many thanks

Dorothy

My Response:

My original letter was received by you on the 7th September (date taken from Royal Mail website). You have 14 days from then in which to settle this claim otherwise I will begin legal action as stated in my letter.

Kind Regards,

redn1ck

Boy did that feel good!!!

Its upto you, they told me the same thing and said it'd be another 8 weeks! They are real funny.

They have the resources to deal with these claims if they want, its a delaying tatic probably taken at a higher level so be polite to the groundcrew and make sure they know your serious, etc

I'll be sending that address request message before I go ahead I think

22nd Sept MCOL filed vs smile bank :!:

27th Sept LBA amount paid by smile

6th Oct Full MCOL amount paid by smile

Result = :D

Just receivied the following secure message and sent the following back by secure message:

Withouth prejudice

Court action pending

You wrote:

Hello redn1ck

I'd advise you to have a look at our website where you can have a look at our complints procedure, we have up to 4 weeks to send our response to your complaint and then a further 8 weeks to send our final response. I've checked your account and it apeears that our complaints team are still looking into your letter sent on the 24/08.

Regards

Jade

However my letter stated 14 days and I will be sticking to this. I therefore need to start the process of making a claim on line this week. Could you let me know the correct address for smile that I should use in this claim.

Kind Regards,redn1ck

Use the Balloon Street address in your cheque book.

Smile are making me really cross today. They need to employ more staff, they can afford it.

Lloyds TSB - £972

S.A.R, prelim and LBA sent

Claim acknowledged

Defence received

AQ 20/06/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 20/07/06***

Woolwich - £2288

S.A.R, prelim and LBA sent.

Offered half

Moneyclaim filed online 02/08/06

Judgement filed online 23/08/06

WARRANT FILED ONLINE 30/08/06

MONEY RECEIVED BY BALIFF 04/10/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 09/10/06***

Smile - £175

Pelim 23/06/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 07/07/06***

My Ex vs Woolwich - £715

S.A.R sent 30/08/06

Pelim 06/10/06

LBA 20/10/06

Advice & opinions provided are personal, and not endorsed by CAG or BAG, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Ok. I knew it would come to this.

14 days have passed since my LBA was sent to smile. Therefore I am going to go the next stage.

Just going back into the FAQ for a good read before doing so. Any advice?

Kind Regards,

redn1ck

My advice would be to read back through the FAQ's which you are already doing so spot on!

Once you've done that, if you have any queries about the claim process please let us know.

Lloyds TSB - £972

Claim acknowledged

Defence received

AQ 20/06/06

Woolwich - £2288

Offered half

Smile - £175

Pelim 23/06/06

My Ex vs Woolwich - £715

S.A.R sent 30/08/06

Pelim 06/10/06

LBA 20/10/06

Advice & opinions provided are personal, and not endorsed by CAG or BAG, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi,

Been through the FAQs and just started inputting my information on Money Claim then I realised that 14 days from now I will be on holiday. Should I wait until returning before submitting the money claim or should I continue with it now?

redn1ck

How long are you going away for?

Lloyds TSB - £972

Claim acknowledged

Defence received

AQ 20/06/06

Woolwich - £2288

Offered half

Smile - £175

Pelim 23/06/06

My Ex vs Woolwich - £715

S.A.R sent 30/08/06

Pelim 06/10/06

LBA 20/10/06

How long are you going away for?

Just for seven (7) days.

Wait the seven days and then file. Seems they are just being genuinely slow to reply, you dont have to wait for them though

22nd Sept MCOL filed vs smile bank :!:

27th Sept LBA amount paid by smile

6th Oct Full MCOL amount paid by smile

Result = :D

• 2 weeks later...

I initiated the court action online and have receivied the following by secure message from smile:

Hello redn1ck

I'm sorry you feel you have to resort to court proceedings without following our complaints procedure as laid down by Financial Services Authority.

You can send your claims form to us, and we will forward it on to our Legal department.

Team 314

smile

PO Box 600

Delf House

Skelmersdale

Lancs

WN8 6GF

Regards

Jayne Jones

smile Complaints Team

For full details of our complaints procedures, go to Redirecting to Smile Production Site, click on 'Talk to us' and then click on 'Complaints' on the right hand side.

What annoys me is that I did complain last Christmas but was fobbed off by someone in the customer diserverice centre.

Oh well just have to wait until I get my court papers and then forward on the correct stuff to smile.

Regards,

redn1ck

When did you do your mcol ? I've put mine in today so will be watching your progress along with a few others

Co-Op

Prelim - 09/06/06 (£2052)

LBA - 26/06/06

Settled 06/07/06 :D

Smile

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) - 03/07/06

Prelim - 23/08/06 (£3185.50)

LBA - 08/09/06

mcol - 30/09/06 - £3250.50 + £800.22 + £120

Settled 13/10/06 :D

Capital One CC

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) - 05/09/06

Prelim - 07/10/06 (1142.90)

LBA - 25/10/06

mcol - 13/11/06 (£735+ £323.29 + £120)

Settled

A & L CC

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) - 07/10/06

Prelim - 14/11/06 (1065.16)

Wescot

CCA - 07/10/06

Co-Op(2)

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) - 09/10/06

BOS CC

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) - 18/10/06

Creation

Prelim - 02/11/06 (£94.61)

LBA - 17/11/06

Settled 21/11/06

Studio

Prelim - 01/11/06 (£103.80)

LBA - 17/11/06

Settled 18/11/06

they seem to be taking a bit longer after the LBA to settle because they are busy, you can send them a secure message saying you are about to file a claim and ask for where they want the claim to be sent to, they will give you an address and maybe it will stir them up a bit, it did with me and saved me doing a claim. look at my thread

Hi I got really into trouble with my smile account and they took my check book off me several hundreds of pounds later they agreed to stop adding charges to the account. It still cost between £600-900. Since I have closed the account down as I wasn't using it however can I still claim for what they did charge me as it was serious amount that really spiraled out of control?

Hi I got really into trouble with my smile account and they took my check book off me several hundreds of pounds later they agreed to stop adding charges to the account. It still cost between £600-900. Since I have closed the account down as I wasn't using it however can I still claim for what they did charge me as it was serious amount that really spiraled out of control?

Yes dubai you can claim for up to 6 years even if the account has been closed.

Alliance & leicester:Settled 8/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester-successes/19700-tamadus-l.html?highlight=tamadus

Capital One:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/capital-one/16644-tamadus-capital-one.html?highlight=tamadus

MBNA 2 accounts:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions-successes/13831-tamadus-mbna-i.html?highlight=tamadus

Smile:Settled 15/11/06

Egg Card:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 2/10/06

GE Money:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent3/8/06 LBA sent 26/9/06

Abbey:ERC prelim sent 14/9/06. LBA sent 2/10/06. Now it's getting interesting so keep watching

Barclaycard:In criminal default watch this space

Lloyds TSB:In criminal default watch this space

If my comments have been useful please click the scales and let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just got a refund for £290 (£260 charges and £30 court fee) and a letter saying that although they believe their 'charges to be fair and transparent' they have creditied me my £290 back!!!

They also say 'To avoid charges in the future you must ensure that your Smilemore current account never exceeds the agreed overdraft facility'. Does that mean if I just accept the refund and do go overdrawn I will not be able to claim? Should I write to say thank you but I only want to be charged in accordance with the OFT ruling?

Also I will be paying more than 5%. I had no idea this site even exsisted until I read someone posting on the redissue football site. I think everyone who used this site heaviliy should seriously think about donating more.

Many thanks to all who helped/

Hi,

Just got a refund for £290 (£260 charges and £30 court fee) and a letter saying that although they believe their 'charges to be fair and transparent' they have creditied me my £290 back!!!

They also say 'To avoid charges in the future you must ensure that your Smilemore current account never exceeds the agreed overdraft facility'. Does that mean if I just accept the refund and do go overdrawn I will not be able to claim? Should I write to say thank you but I only want to be charged in accordance with the OFT ruling?

Also I will be paying more than 5%. I had no idea this site even exsisted until I read someone posting on the redissue football site. I think everyone who used this site heaviliy should seriously think about donating more.

Many thanks to all who helped/

thats great news redn1ck well done.I'd take the money and say nothing further. if for any reason they make charges in the future then simply reclaim them again.:p

Alliance & leicester:Settled 8/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester-successes/19700-tamadus-l.html?highlight=tamadus

Capital One:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/capital-one/16644-tamadus-capital-one.html?highlight=tamadus

MBNA 2 accounts:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions-successes/13831-tamadus-mbna-i.html?highlight=tamadus

Smile:Settled 15/11/06

Egg Card:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 2/10/06

GE Money:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent3/8/06 LBA sent 26/9/06

Abbey:ERC prelim sent 14/9/06. LBA sent 2/10/06. Now it's getting interesting so keep watching

Barclaycard:In criminal default watch this space

Lloyds TSB:In criminal default watch this space

If my comments have been useful please click the scales and let me know.

:grin:congrats!, yes I agree this site is great!

Barclaycard Student credit card £400 partial refund received, S.A.R -

Open & Direct Finance- extortionate, cca to Rockwell debt collection they ran away, now with Bryan Carter, no cca 17/03/08 sent back to Open

Pugsley v Littlwoods, have not received the signed credit agreement only quoting reg of 1983

Pugsley v Fashion World JD williams, 17/03 2008 Debt Managers returning file to JD williams as they could not supply the credit agreement

Capital one MCOL Settled in full

Smile lba settled in full

advice is given informally and without liability and without prejudice.