• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Court Hearing Thursday 14th September

dannybhoy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6365 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi DB sorry not have picked this thread up before, wont answer much now as on the other side of a couple of ciders and now onto the vino! Well done so far will get back to you as I pursued BoS to hearing for my 8% interest and got unsympathetic sheriff and probably crossed wires.

Cheers! :beer:

Fruitycar

Bank of Scotland round 1: £740 + costs settled, still sore over the 8% grrr

Bank of Scotland round 2: £629 +101.15 interest +£39 costs settled.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update you all on what’s happening, which is precisely nothing!

Following the last court hearing, I emailed Michael Thomas at Lloyd’s legal department, advising that the Sheriff had agreed with my position that interest was due, with the next hearing date Thursday 12th October.

As this failed to elicit any response, the same letter was sent to him by recorded delivery, and was signed for on October 5th.

Unlike the last time, no money has been paid into the account at the last minute, so it’s back to court tomorrow!

Unfortunately, I can’t go so my girlfriend will have to represent herself. I will fully brief her, and whilst I have a little more research to do tonight, at the moment I intend advising her to ask the Sheriff to grant Decree in her favour, as Lloyds TSB submitted a defence, yet failed to defend the action. Furthermore, we have made reasonable efforts to contact them, to which they have failed to respond.

I will let you know how it goes.

On a more positive note, I wrote to The Royal Bank of Scotland, enclosing a copy of the Court Roll (available at scotcourts.gov.uk) with details of the Lloyds TSB case on it, offering them one final chance to settle the matter without the involvement of the Courts.

Despite the fact that two months ago they were adamant that they were acting lawfully, and would not refund the charges, within four days of sending the letter, I received a reply saying “We would prefer to resolve matters with you direct, and as an exceptional matter, have agreed to meet your claim of £294 in full.”

If they know you are serious, and you persevere, you will get your money back.

Great stuff DB! Was it today your girlfriend was in court..?

Abbey - 547.00 settled in full.

Second claim: £204 WON.

Barclaycard - 142.88 incl interest due WON BY DEFAULT as they didn't even bother entering a defence. Barclaycard paid up £184.88.

MBNA - Concluded £634.31

Capital One Concluded £148

Kinda disappointed I've no more banks to go after now...

Just to let you know how it went today.

It appears that my lack of faith in my girlfriend was misplaced. I provided her with a script outlining what has happened since the last court date, which finished of asking the Sheriff to grant decree in her favour, and to reconsider his award of expenses.

He did! She was granted the decree, and Lloyds TSB have been ordered to pay £98.28 plus expenses. Assuming this is the maximum amount of expenses (£75), it comes to exactly one more pound than I asked for - I think he made a mistake in subtracting what has already been paid.

As far as I can gather from the Small Claims Guide, Lloyds now have 14 days in which to appeal. If they don’t, we are issued with an ‘extract decree’, which is essentially a court order.

Thereafter, if they don’t pay, we get to send the Sheriff’s Officers round to the bank (eventually).

Now I know how Tommy Sheridan felt!

We are both really chuffed. It isn’t even about the money now, just knowing that you can take the big boys on and win, and that there are Sheriffs out there with some common sense.

Given the reprehensible manner in which Lloyds TSB has conducted itself, I expect that they will now move to close her account. I will let you know what happens in the coming few weeks.

Once again, it confirms what I said last night – persevere and you will get your money back.

Well done to you both! I think you should head out for a well deserved romantic dinner a deux!

Barclaycard - 142.88 incl interest due WON BY DEFAULT as they didn't even bother entering a defence. Barclaycard paid up £184.88.

MBNA - Concluded £634.31

Well done Dannybhoy (and to your girlfriend) :D

It's threads like this which encourage us all to soldier on and take on these bankers!! :rolleyes:

Jengis

*If you find my posts informative, please click on the scales in the top right corner of the post.

RBS - 2 Current Accounts & 2 CC Accounts

20/09/06 - DPA request Sent

BOS - CC Account

20/09/06 - DPA request Sent

Egg Card

19/09/06 - Statement request email sent

20/09/06 - Reply "£5 will be taken from account"

Oh yes - us Scots are a hardy bunch! Once we have the 'bit' between our teeth!! :)

MBNA - Concluded £634.31

• 4 weeks later...

hi all,

i am in same position with BARCLAYCARD, went to court last thursday after the entered defence, but they didnt turn up, Sheriff issued decree, now just waiting for it to arrive, due next thursday.

also had another case up last week with RBS, they offered partial refund( not even 50%) of claim, their defence is that part of my claim is TIME BARRED under the Prescription And Limitations(Scotland) Act due it the charges being older than 5 years. We now go to PROOF HEARING on 21st of December so i am now trying to research evidence,

i need to find out where i can get copy of above act

i also need to find any precedents with regards "when i became knowledgable about their charges", i read somewhere that since i didn't know their charges were unlawful then the above act doesnt carry weight, but i cant remember were i read it, can anyone help.

thanks in advance

RBS account 1: LBA sent 7/7/06 £1285 RBS offer to settle at £1090, accepted 5/8/06damn i wish i hadn't

RBS accounts 2 and 3 and 4: court claim lodged 5/9/06 for £745 + costs NO RESPONSE 26/10. SETTLED AT PROOF HEARING

CAP ONE : court claim lodged 8/9/06 for £160 account creditted with £46: settled in full 14/10/06

BARCLAYCARD: court claim lodged 8/9/06 for £445, Information Commissioners Office complaint made - offered to settle for 160 17/8/06 refused DEFENSE LODGED 26/10 in court 2/11. SETTLED IN FULL

style financial - lba for £106.16, settled in full 20/9

ge money - lba for £73 20/9 repayed £45

RBS account 4 again : LBA sent 9/10/06 £38

ge money 2: lba sent 9/10/06 £174.95 and default removal, 16/10 settled in fullrefused to remove default

RBS account 1 again : Prelim approach sent 26/10/06 £293.17

Just a quick update...

Received the Decree from the Court on Saturday 28 October, and wrote to LLoyds TSB (Recorded Delivery) on Monday 30 October, giving them until Friday 10 November to pay the money in. As yet, they have failed to do so.

I'm going to pay a visit to the Sheriff's Officers some time this week to see what the next move is.

PS Can somebody amend the time on the clock, as I find it confusing reading posts before they are made!

Went to see the Sheriff Officer today, and it was remarkably straightforward. I gave the lady the Decree and a copy of the letter sent to Lloyds TSB on October 30th.

I paid the sum of £30.26 and she advised that as the bank is nearby, the ‘charge’ would be delivered this afternoon or tomorrow.

Lloyds will then have 14 days to pay the sum they owe plus the additional £30.26, or we can go round and help ourselves to their furniture. Actually that part isn’t quite true, but it should be!

The lady at the Sheriff Officers was surprised that Lloyds had ignored our previous letter, but I told her that this was symptomatic of the shoddy way Lloyds has conducted itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Received our copy of the ‘Certificate of Execution of Charge for Payment of Money’ that was served on Lloyds TSB from the Sheriffs Officers today.

They now have until next Wednesday to pay, or further enforcement action can be taken.

Maybe it’s just me, but I found the following text, at the bottom of the certificate to be quite funny.

“We hereby confirm that a copy of the Dealing with Debt booklet was served on the above named defender(s) [Lloyds TSB Scotland Plc] at the time of the charge in accordance with the Debt Arrangement and Attachment (Scotland) Act 2002.”

Will keep you informed, as to how Lloyds manages to deal with its debt!

Steveokenovo,

You may know more about this than I do, but my understanding was that the legal process has been exhausted, and it is now simply a matter of enforcing the Courts decision.

Lloyds TSB failed to be represented in court on two occasions, and chose not to appeal within the 14 days in which they were entitled to. I really don’t see that they can come back now, and ask for a recall of the decree.

A bit late with this, but Lloyds paid the money in last Friday, so we have to call the Sheriff Officers off.

It was worth pursuing, as if we hadn’t attended Court in September, we would have just received the £489, however we did get another £168.92, albeit £30.26 of that was extra money we had to pay to the Sheriff Officer.

Having now successfully claimed from Halifax, Royal Bank of Scotland and Lloyds, Lloyds were definitely the most difficult, and the only one I had to raise a Court action against.

Anyway, have now written to Lloyds in respect of a credit card, with charges amounting to £76. I am not following the usual procedure, and have given them until 31 Dec to refund the money, or will commence Court Action without further notice early in the New Year.

I enclosed a copy of the Decree granted against Lloyds TSB Scotland to see if that makes any difference, although I doubt it will.

Thanks to everyone for their support and encouragement, in particular Robertxc who advised that I should attend Court in September.