Not being on the electoral roll = liable for £5k???

essexbrummie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4434 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all I'm new to this and need some advice.

I am being chased by a solicitors for a debt which I don't think I should be liable for.

I went on an open day at a college because I wanted to start a course in 2011. A representative of the college told me that if I applied for 2010 I would still be accepted (I have a witness to this). I made the late application and received my acceptance on 12th August. The finance terms and conditions stated that I had an eleven day cooling off period where I would get a full refund. If you cancel after this date you lose your deposit, if this occurs after 31st July you are liable for part of the course fees. I did not think this would apply to me because I had been persuaded to apply late....My acceptance was after 31st July.

A bank loan is needed to go on the course, the bank needs a letter from the college as proof of acceptance before it will consider the loan application. I asked the college for this letter. They replied that I would receive it within 5 working days (the end of the five working days coincided with the end of the eleven day cooling off period). At the bank I failed the credit check because I was not registered on the electoral roll. I informed the college on 1st September, I was passed from department to department who all said that even if I cancelled now I would be liable for £5,000 (half of the course fees).

Solicitors are now chasing me for the debt. I have written to the college again who replied that I made an agreement and I should only communicate with their solicitors.

I have been to the CAB who said that the law is too complex and I need a solicitor. Legal aid is not available for this type of case and the solicitors I have called charge around £150 p/h, which I cannot afford.

I only had a relationship with the college for around 3 weeks, I can't see how they can be asking for £5,000. Unqualified people (friends, relatives etc) keep telling me to fight this because it is wrong. However I am afraid of having a CCJ made against me.

Does anyone have any advice please????

• 1 year later...