• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

CCJ registered in Sept - Nothing Known

Noshovel
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4763 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My daughter recently checked her credit file on CheckMyFile.com she has discovered that a CCJ was registered against her on 1st September 2010 it seems to have been Link a company that she has never dealt with it is describes as Active, Not disputed and the Court was Northampton CCBC

There is a court reference number so we can write to the court to ask for details but what can she do?

If the CCJ has been obtained without your daughter being made aware of the proceedings, then she can have it set aside, and then be allowed to defend the claim if it is repleaded.

If there is no CCJ and it is an error on the part of the Credit Reference agency, then she can seek recompense from them.

In the first instance find out the details of the CCJ, how much, who obtained it etc, then seek to have it set aside

As you have the claim number & date, you can phone Northampton (CCBC). 0845 4085302.

I have always found the staff very helpfull. They will be able to confirm the address on the claim.(and send a copy of the POC) If it isn't her address,and she never recieved the claim form, they will be able to direct to you to the website, were you can print off the N244 (Application to have the CCJ set a side). The sooner she does this the better, any delay will have a detrimental effect on the application being successfull.

She'll have to pay a fee of £75. But she can reclaim this back off Link.

Link are a Debt Collection Agency.

They tend to deal mainly with storecard debts. There Address is,

Link Financial Outsourcing Ltd.

PO Box 30095

London

SE1 7WU.

The phone number is 0844 7360022. But I would recommend doing everything in writing, send all letters recorded.

Debs

Just to let you know

Link is now quite involved with the Student Loan Company and are trying to collect a now statute barred account from me!

jasperpad

As you have the claim number & date, you can phone Northampton (CCBC). 0845 4085302.

I have always found the staff very helpfull. They will be able to confirm the address on the claim.(and send a copy of the POC) If it isn't her address,and she never recieved the claim form, they will be able to direct to you to the website, were you can print off the N244 (Application to have the CCJ set a side). The sooner she does this the better, any delay will have a detrimental effect on the application being successfull.

She'll have to pay a fee of £75. But she can reclaim this back off Link.

Link are a Debt Collection Agency.

They tend to deal mainly with storecard debts. There Address is,

Link Financial Outsourcing Ltd.

PO Box 30095

London

SE1 7WU.

The phone number is 0844 7360022. But I would recommend doing everything in writing, send all letters recorded.

Debs

• 2 months later...

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions, we have recived a reply from the court it seems as is if they did not actually read our letter because it says

"Once the balance has been cleared with the claimant you should forward confirmation received together with £15 cheque payalbe to HMCS" "The public record will then be amended to show the judgement as satisifed....."

I want to get the judgement set asside as my daughter who has a mild learning dificulty has had no opportunity to contest their claim and cannot recongnise the debt.

The court did supply us with the POC however so I can set about filling in the N244 I've been ill and not been able to do anything for a few weeks and I'm concerned that I may have disadvantaged my daughter.

Any way the POC reads

"The Claimant claims the whole of the outsanding balance due and payable under an agreement and/or associated agreements made with the Defendant in writing and dated 19/02/1998 and assigned to the Claimant. The agreement and/or associated agreements are regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Defendant has failed to make payment as required by the agreement and/or associated agreements and to comply with a default notice or notices served by the Claimant and/or Assignor.

and the Claimant claims:-

1. £2,534.47

2. Interest pursuant to Section 69 County Court Act (1984) at a rate of 8.000% per annum from 12/11/07 to 29/07/10 of £549.95 and thereafter at a daily rate of 0.560 to date of judgement or sooner payment." dated 01/08/10

Any observations, comments or advice would be welcom especially with regard to the completion of form N244

Regards to all

NS

For a Set Aside you have to give a reason why you (or daughter) did not respond to the claim and also that you have a defence against it. I am sure people here will advise but also have a look at National Debtline and possibly ring them for advice, it is a tricky one and you need it to get it right.

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/factsheet.php?page=12_how_to_set_aside_a_judgment_in_the_county_court

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to be ready to send off the N244 form plan to complete as follows

Section 3

I wish to apply for an order that the default judgmententered against (xxxxx xxxxxxx) to be set aside. (xxxxx) suffers from a mild learningdifficulty and does not read or write very well she is supported in independentliving by the LDT at xx County Council. Theclaim form did not come to (xxxxx’x) attention because it must have been sentto her old address as it was about two years after she moved the mail was notforwarded to her. Neither (xxxxx) norany of her carers or support workers is aware of any debt to LinkFinancial. Link Financial have not beenput to strict proof regarding the claim. I believe that (xxxxx) has a complete defence to the claimant’s case.

Section 10

The claim did not come to (xxxxx’x) attention until herGrandmother suggested that she check her credit file to make she that she wasno longer associated with her ex-partner. The credit check revealed that there was this CCJ registered againsther. (xxxxx) has had no opportunity tomake a defence against the claimant.

On discovering that a judgment had been entered against her(xxxxx) sought help from family and support worker and advice from NationalDebtline as soon as she could, and she was advised to make this application.

We now speculate that Link Financial may have bought an old overdraft debt which included a mound of bank charges which were disputed at the time with the original creditor Citizens' Advice asked them to write them off due to the circumstances. Should I mention this now as its only speculation until investigated?

Edited by Noshovel
Personal details removed

Was the address on the POC incorrect? If so state that this was sent to an old address not 'must have been' Also add that 'you have now obtained the POC from the court and that these are vague and no supporting documentation has been attached'.

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

• 1 month later...

We have progress the court has sent a letter saying that the case has been referred for a hearing at our local court. I'm concerned that I'm totally out of my depth here.

We had a reply to a CCA request from Link this reveals that we are dealing with an Abbey Santander overdraft they sent an application for an account no overdraft references or copy bank statements. At the same time we sent CCA request to Santander but no response at all.

My daughter did have overdraft but there were loads of charges fees etc I understand that a few years ago Citizens Advice wrote on her behalf requesting that in the circumstances they write off the debt. We heard nothing so assumed things were ok then discovered the CCJ

What we would like as an outcome would be for the court to set aside the CCJ which would allow me to make a full and final settlement offer to Link