• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

HFO Services now using e-consumerview reports to 'encourage' payment

coledog
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4604 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It would appear that HFO have a new strategy which is to send out a letter threatening legal actiion and bailiffs (among other things) in 3 days if you don't ring them. Attached to these are credit reports from Experian e-consumerview service only available to customers with a valid credit license. I have had a look at the e-consumerview site and it has Terms and Conditions plus an 'idiots' guide to the Data Protection Act attached (which I am sure even HFO can understand). I have only skimmed this briefly to try and find out how Experian and HFO can justify this behaviour - someone with more brain power than me needs to have a look at these and I will post the links below.

From my dealings with Equifax, I think that the justification is that the 'customer' is party to a contract (credit agreement) and therefore the CRA is are depending on the paragraph below in the Data Protection Act. However they very rarely can produce a valid contract? The customer has certainly not given their consent.

What conditions do I have to

meet if I process personal data?

It is a key principle under the 1998

Act that personal data can only be

processed if certain conditions are met.

These are where:

The individual has given his or her

consent to the processing

The processing is necessary for the

performance of a contract where

the person concerned is one of the

parties to the contract

The Data Controller is legally

obliged to process the data

The processing is necessary to

protect an individual’s vital

interests*

The processing is necessary for the

administration of justice or other

functions on behalf of the Crown

or a Government department

The processing is necessary for

pursuit of the legitimate interests

of the Data Controller or a third

party to whom the data is

disclosed, except where the

processing is unwarranted because

it may prejudice the rights or

legitimate interests of the

individual.

* The vital interests of a subject

The links to the site T&C are:

http://www.uk.experian.com/e-consumerview/cs_frameset.html?92_terms.html

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not copy, distribute or commercially exploit the information unless these conditions allow you to.

Surely this covers attaching this data to a threatening letter?

donate

Important if you have one of these reports

Link below to the e-consumerview complaints page for anyone who has received one of these reports. I would suggest that you register a complaint along the lines of (amend to suit):

'I have received a letter (dated...) from a company called HFO Services Ltd who claim that I owe them money for a debt. This letter states that they will (expand on threats......) unless I contact them within 72 hours. Attached to this letter is a credit report on myself which HFO have obtained from your service.

I am not aware that I have any financial relationship with HFO or any obligation to them and they have not offered any proof of this. I wish to complain, in the strongest possible terms, about the actions of this company and their use of my data in this way.

Can you confirm to me that this company are eligable to obtain my data from your service and are abiding fully with your terms and conditions and the Data Protection Act'

http://www.uk.experian.com/e-consumerview/cs_frameset.html?92_complain.html

• Haha 1

donate

Yes BB

Information in credit reports is often not accurate and open to challenge. For a DCA or company to actually use this as a form of proof or to justify threatening behaviour is totally unacceptable and must be brought to the attention of these providers and the authorities.

donate

The intention is to use this data for assessing benefit payments in future - which is a great worry if the data is not accurate and not everyone has the ability to access it.

donate

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bazooka

Update to the complaint letter I have suggested to the last poster as ICO expect a complaint to Experian prior to a complaint to them - I would like anyone who gets one of these to register this complaint and then take it up with OFT and ICO

Important if you have one of these reports

Link below to the e-consumerview complaints page for anyone who has received one of these reports. I would suggest that you register a complaint along the lines of (amend to suit):

'I have received a letter (dated...) from a company called HFO Services Ltd who claim that I owe them money for a debt. This letter states that they will (expand on threats......) unless I contact them within 72 hours. Attached to this letter is a credit report on myself which HFO have obtained from your service.

I am not aware that I have any financial relationship with HFO or any obligation to them and they have not offered any proof of this. I wish to complain, in the strongest possible terms, about the actions of this company and their use of my data in this way.

Can you confirm to me that this company are eligable to obtain my data from your service and are abiding fully with your terms and conditions
link3.gif
and the Data Protection Act'

I am happy to forward you a copy of the letter and report for your inspection - I will be progressing this matter with the Information Commissioners Office and OFT

Link to web site

http://www.uk.experian.com/e-consume..._complain.html

donate

Yes Bazooka - fully agree, CRAs are a nightmare, I am hoping that by complaints against this inapropriate use of Experian reports we can make some headway as it is a mass abuse of personal data to impose threats to extort money - IMO. In my case it was Equifax who keep insisting they have done nothing wrong in allowing a DCA to reproduce my data but the published T and C for these Experian reports suggest a different view which needs to be exposed.

When you contact ICO they say that you must complain to the instigator, so this has to be done and I agree that you have to insist that ICO register your complaint and you get a number. It is quite hard work to be taken seriously!

donate

• 3 months later...

There are a few more people who have received these from HFO so I give them this link.

Anyone receiving one of these atached to a threatening letter needs to report to OFT, Experian and possibly ICO

donate

Quite agree Hillards, any abuse of Equifax reports should also be reported.

The key thing about e-consumerview is that to use this service, the customer must agree to certain Term and Conditions and Data Protection rules which are stated on the website, HFO have clearly been breaking these

donate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Bumping this one again - can ANYONE who has ever received a copy of their Credit Report, Experian or Equifax, from HFO attached to a letter threatening acton, PLEASE submit a complaint to OFT even if you have done this before - DO it again please.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/contactus for the attention of Polly Ashford

donate

• 2 weeks later...